FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dual boot or Multi Boot or wateva...

SMEE

Hi folks. Heres the situation. My laptop fooked up. Tough on me, but thats life. In the meantime, i am back to using the old desktop in my bedroom. Heres the problem tho....some time ago...i got a hold of Windows XP Professional. It was previously XP Home edition that was preinstalled on the pc. Problem now is......Microsfot has long since sussed me out and wont let me do any updates...so its not running smoothly.

Q1. Is there anyway to get it back to the installed XP home edition...for which the licence is not in dispute?

OR

Q2. My other thoughts was to create a Partition (i got 95GB spare) and install ubuntu on it. question is....does things like msn messenger...windows live mail etc run on ubuntu? I was on youtube...and discovored Wubi...but XP isnt playing ball it seems and wont let me use it.

I have no idea the best option...or how to go about it. Maybe you have a different option. IM all ears...Any help appreciated! :021:

Hi folks. Heres the situation. My laptop fooked up. Tough on me, but thats life. In the meantime, i am back to using the old desktop in my bedroom. Heres the problem tho....some time ago...i got a hold of Windows XP Professional. It was previously XP Home edition that was preinstalled on the pc. Problem now is......Microsfot has long since sussed me out and wont let me do any updates...so its not running smoothly.

Q1. Is there anyway to get it back to the installed XP home edition...for which the licence is not in dispute?

OR

Q2. My other thoughts was to create a Partition (i got 95GB spare) and install ubuntu on it. question is....does things like msn messenger...windows live mail etc run on ubuntu? I was on youtube...and discovored Wubi...but XP isnt playing ball it seems and wont let me use it.

I have no idea the best option...or how to go about it. Maybe you have a different option. IM all ears...Any help appreciated! :lol:

1) OS upgrades are non-reversable. Once you upgrade you're stuck with it.

2) If you want to go down the route of making a partition like that, you'll need a partition utility like Partition Magic. Live mail will work because it's a web app. If you use Ubuntu you'll need to use an MSN Messenger compatible alternative like Pidgin.

3) It should be possible to retain all of your data and reinstall XP, then put all of your data back in place.

Haha...Jay...i actually started writing this question in a PM to you specifically....then thought..nah...al no pester him. Anyhoo.....would i in theory, be able to, (if i got my hands on a windows xp home edition) install that on the partition, use the serial number on the side of this desktop, then delete the partition with the existing XP professional on it?

I have requested a cd with Ubuntu on it. Would i be able, once it is installed, to wipe the partition with the offending version of XP Profes on it and everything be ok and run with ubuntu?

Haha...Jay...i actually started writing this question in a PM to you specifically....then thought..nah...al no pester him.

Not a problem if you did - PM away.

Anyhoo.....would i in theory, be able to, (if i got my hands on a windows xp home edition) install that on the partition, use the serial number on the side of this desktop, then delete the partition with the existing XP professional on it?

Bit of a long road for a short cut but yes you could. It'd be far easier to copy the data off your disk, then just flatten/reinstall XP on it and replace the data.

I have requested a cd with Ubuntu on it. Would i be able, once it is installed, to wipe the partition with the offending version of XP Profes on it and everything be ok and run with ubuntu?

So wait, are you wanting XP or Ubuntu? Or are you wanting to Dual-Boot?

Am just wanting rid of this XP professional which i cant get updates for, so things arent running smoothly. I thought if i got ubuntu...it costs nothing...install it on the new partition then not have to worry about the XP partition (maybe delete it, then delete the partition)

Or if i could get my hands on a copy of xp home edition, i could just use my serail number, and install that on the new partition. Just trying to get some info on my options really. But ideally..i cant rely on this current XP, as i am very limited with it.

Am just wanting rid of this XP professional which i cant get updates for, so things arent running smoothly. I thought if i got ubuntu...it costs nothing...install it on the new partition then not have to worry about the XP partition (maybe delete it, then delete the partition)

Or if i could get my hands on a copy of xp home edition, i could just use my serail number, and install that on the new partition. Just trying to get some info on my options really. But ideally..i cant rely on this current XP, as i am very limited with it.

Presumably you already have an XP Home license then?

By far the easiest solution will be for you will be as follows:

1) Backup all data that you intend to keep.

2) Get your hands on an XP Home CD. You don't need to buy one as you'll be paying for a new license (it's the license that costs all the money).

3) Format and reinstall XP Home

4) Install XP Service Pack 3

5) Run Windows Update to bring your computer up to date.