FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dogs and Cats

Renegade

Moving on from the other thread about dolphins and whales and stuff, I want to put this hypothetical question across. It's well known that in some countries in Asia (South Korea being one I think), they eat things like cats and dogs (and snake too in some places).

So if you were in one of these countries and were offered a bit to try, would you try it? I think I would.

It's a well known fact that you'll seldom see cats hovering around Chinese restaurants...

Talking of dogs and cats I came across this recently which I tried to post, but it disappeared... I'll try again.

Which do you prefer? Dogs or cats?

Cats everytime for me, far more ..........

Johnboy, it was reviewed by the mods and then reinstated asking you to post a link rather than the cut'n paste,

cheers

Edited by themann4thejob
Too crude for here, post a link instead please

I had snake in Glasgow about 30 years ago. It was in a pub owned by ex boxer Peter Keenan, and he brought out a tray of the stuff for us all to try. He only told us what it was after he watched us scoff it down, bringing the heads out to prove it was snake. I can't remember what it tasted like though.

Moving on from the other thread about dolphins and whales and stuff, I want to put this hypothetical question across. It's well known that in some countries in Asia (South Korea being one I think), they eat things like cats and dogs (and snake too in some places).

So if you were in one of these countries and were offered a bit to try, would you try it? I think I would.

You only live once and if you do travel it is essential for life experience to at least try these things, the way I see it is if you are offered meat which is already dead then why not? If the animal is alive and slaughtered to order, as is sometimes the case, then I would probably refuse.

Completely agree there. I had some kangaroo a while back, it was okay - a bit tough.

But it's not just burgers and stuff though, I for one love Sushi, and most of all, Vegemite!

I think it broadens your horizons on the world.

Edited by Renegade

Not knowingly tried dog or cat. Nor even snake or snail. Cant eat fish raw so sushi is out. Have eaten kangaroo and ostrich. Many people will eat veal and suckling pig. The way these are reared IMO is very cruel. As is battery hens yet we all eat chicken and egg.

What would put me of knowingly eating dog or cat is not the furry animal thing. More the control of what they are fed.

That reminds me, I had an ostrich burger from one of the stalls in the High Street a few months ago. It was okay, nothing special. Wild boar is very nice though, I'd recommend that.

Anyone who likes haggis can hardly be fussy about what they eat. So on that basis I'd probably try any local delicacy if I was abroad.

Never sampled cats or dogs to my knowledge, but I've enjoyed crocodile, kangaroo, as well as smaller creatures like snails, eels and frogs.

I think though that I might draw the line at that penis restaurant in Beijing.

Get this down yer throat!

I'd always be willing to give things a go in other cultures more than i would back home, if its acceptable to be eating those things in Asia and i'm in asia then yeah i probably would.

Cats are better than dogs, so good my 3 cats are trained to use the toilet :024: They take care of themselves really, although cats also need love and affection they can get this from other cats and don't require it as much from their owners. I think dogs on the other hand seek out attention from their owners, and of course need to go for walks and go outside for the toilet with assistance, cats don't. It really does depend on the nature of your animals though, some are more favourable than others.

I too have tried ostrich, had it in a restuarant once and thought it was quite nice actually. But nothing special as you as when put it up against your usual beef etc.

Indeed, that was back in 2007. And Johnboy still cracked the exact same camel gag!

I think your list of Chinese delicacies won hands down back then, but surprisingly hands weren't actually on your list.

Crocodile - tastes like chicken!

Snake - Tastes like chicken!

Goanna - Tastes like chicken!

Witchetty Grubs - Tastes like chicken!

Goat - like chewing on an old shoe!

Turtle - like chewing on an old shoe!

Emu - Tastes like Ostrich!

Ostrich - Tastes like Emu!

Have eaten various other meats in China in large banquets so you are never sure what you are consuming. If you don't eat it you go hungry - nothing else is on offer and breakfast aint worth waiting for. Once asked whether or not we had been served dog or cat and was informed that this was extremely unlikely as they were a delicacy and expensive and unlikely to be wasted on a gwilo. But Rat well that is another matter. Best not to dwell on it.

Best eating meat I have ever tasted has to be Buffalo.

Indeed, that was back in 2007. And Johnboy still cracked the exact same camel gag!

I think your list of Chinese delicacies won hands down back then, but surprisingly hands weren't actually on your list.

And you mentioned that exotic restaurant in Beijing way back then as well!

:024: