FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rankin and Blackie

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

May be unfair but on the evidence of my first 45 minutes of scrutiny I really do NOT think that they are a middle of the park pairing.

We played a very structured 4-2-4 in the first half. Bazza operating exclusively on the right, Black in the right hand side and Rankin on the left hand side of the middle and McBain on the left. That curtails Bazza and McBain looked like a fish out of water. Both Black and Rankin wanted to pick up the ball from the defence almost every time. Rankin getting the majority of the passes may have pissed off Black. Black tended to hold more whereas Rankin made the runs that McBain should have been making. They both want to be playmaker and that simply does'nt work.

There was a distinct improvement in the second half but Rankin failed to grab the opportunity to shine. He has a good engine and has a very cultured left foot but he doesnt look like an SPL playmaker yet. McBain looked considerably more at ease in a holding type role, Bazza could roam and Hart also played a bit deeper.

So lets give Bazza the playmaker role (he is the only one with the football brain and experience). If Blackie comes back I would persist with him as the playmaker and swop Hart fer Wilson. Rankin has a sweet left foot and some of the crosses from Rankin and Hart today were as good as I have seen in ages. Rankin needs to learn the SPL trade so stick him on the left and let him gain experience.

I'd like to see a five man midfield and my team would be:

Brown

Dods Munro Caff

Tokely Wilson Hart Rankin Hastings

Dargo Bayne

Tokely and Hastings are both capable of getting up the field a bit and tracking back into the defensive role when needed. Wilson and Rankin play the corners and feed in crosses for the strikers. Hart coming through the middle to pick up what the front men miss and to get the ball out to the wide men.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Agree with you Ender, nothing I could add to that as we have witnessed a distressing deterioration in the engine room this season, time for change and move on.