FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Formations

Sorted

Been doing a lot of thinking (steady now!) since the WC. Right from the start, the pundits in the know said that (thankfully :rotflmao:) there was no chance of Engerland winning the tournament playing such a rigid 4-4-2 formation. The lack of imagination shown by UK coaches is also often mentioned as a weakness.

Spent a little time looking at our squad and have come to the conclusion that we, potentially, have a considerable number of 5-3-2 permutations which, depending on the opposition or venue could be pretty flexible. Appreciate it's very early in the season but wonder if we could have a more defensive:

Esson

Tokely Innes Munro

Proctor Gillet

Cox Duncan McBain

Rooney Foran

Or a more attacking:

Esson

Tokely Innes Munro

Hayes Gillet

Cox Duncan Ross

Rooney Foran

Am I alone in thinking that 5-3-2/3-5-2 could be the future?

For me the best Scottish club side of recent times was MON's Celtic team that humped Ajax in Amsterdam. Who would have thought that Didier Agathe and Bobby Petta could have played wing back? Three solid central defenders made it possible and there pace caused problems.

Am I talking shhiiiite?

What i saw from our full-backs on Saturday suggests that we won't be playing 3 at the back any time soon. The full-back's we've signed are primarily defenders who will have to learn to tuck-in and protect our central defenders from being exposed by their lack of pace. This worked fine in the first half but fell to pieces in the second when Celtic's movement led us to lose our shape completely.

In the modern game, most teams play with a single striker meaning that 3 central defenders is a waste anyway. I think one of our biggest strengths is the shield that Duncan and Cox can bring in front of the defence. I wouldn't want to substitute one of them for a central defender who will be less dynamic and less comfortable on the ball.

What about switching to a 4-3-3 with a very wide front 3? Something like this -

Esson

McCann Tokely Munro Gillet

Cox Duncan Morrison(?)

Hayes-------Rooney--------Foran

That way it keeps Hayes and Foran out on the wings with Hayes in particular in forward position where he can beat the opposing full back. It may also strengthen up the centre of the park, and allows the full backs to attack with Duncan being able to hold back to support the centre-backs. Also, 3 strikers may also mean that Rooney would have more support and thus wouldn't suffer the same isolation he does at times during games. An option perhaps?

It think its hugely unlikely that Butcher will change the formation after 1 game in the SPL. He used only two formations last year and once we found success with the 4-2-3-1 he stuck to it rigidly. I think he will continue to use it unless we really struggle over the next few months

Don't necessarily think formation change is essential just that it is good to have options.

For me, 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 really does give width and security especially if you have forward minded full backs with pace which I think we now have.

Good to vary.