FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Now and back then

12th Man

What are the differences between now and our last season in the SPL, looking back would you say that we are in a far stronger position or weaker.

Our keeper is far better this time around, we also have a quality no 2.

Ldz is away, I thought he was a good defender although not always consistent but he was prone to giving the ball away whilst trying to run past an opposing midfielder and left us wide open for a counter attack.

Our new left back, what a find, and he makes Imrie look like a nancy boy.

A new CB, Tokely.

Barrowman is away, enough said.

When Rooney had the ball the last time Round I would expect his shot to miss the goal now I have complete faith in grande balls.

Kerr is away, not bad midfielder but he used to sit back when the ball was in front of him and the opposition would pick it up, like Stratford last season.

The youngsters coming through the ranks now are of far better quality and they can add something to the team and not just brought on to run down the clock.

I could go on all day but our Goalie has improved, we have a solid back 4, an experienced pairing in midfield,Flash Eric can jinx his way past any defense and just wait till the 3 dubliners are at their peak again.

The futures bright, the futures Red and blue and White.

• Disagree 1

Yes and a worse home support. Did I say support? There are far too many of our 'supporters' who turn up just to criticise, then rush home and get on this site to critcise some more. FFS what is the matter with our supporters.:angry:

If I could select from the two teams, I guess it would be:

Esson

Tokely Mihadjuks Munro Gillet

Hayes Cowie Black Foran

Rooney Imrie

On doing that, it strikes me that Rooney this year might be the first decent striker we've had in a long time. Imrie could have easily been replaced by Morais but neither's really a striker (nor Wilson before them). Likewise Wyness was past his best. Barrowman...let's not. So, it would have to be Dargo being the last goalmouth hanger we really had.

What a midfield that would be though. We really should have had Cowie and Black in that centre more. The defence has a nice balance too. But a good striker...we've really lacked that.

Much more confident about this years team when everyone is fully fit. I'm still a bit hesitant when all these injuries are coming through though. If anything happened to Rooney or Hayes we'd really struggle and could easily find ourselfs in a relegation battle. If the first choice 11 stays fit we could achieve anything from 6th to 8th.

What are the differences between now and our last season in the SPL

Back then, we went down to Lancashire for a pre-season friendly and lost 2-1.

Back then, we were full of optimism after a fantastic and unexpected win in our first league away game.

Back then, we followed that up with an insipid performance the following week, losing at home 0-1 to an unfancied Hamilton side.

But back then, we had Brewster instead of Butcher. And that's the difference that matters most.