FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

split: McBain Testimonial - booing

madsooz

Was lucky enough to be at the match last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bazza totally impressed me - another legend! I'm also at a complete loss to understand why an element of the crowd was booing Brewster all the time - utterly disgraceful considering it was Roy's night and I thought the whole idea of a testimonial was to have a fun night to support a player who's been a true servant of the club. Surely these eejits need to remember this and put stupid grudges aside for one night??? Let's face it, he didn't need to turn up, but he did for Roy's special night and fair play to him for doing so. Some of us also had the misfortune of having missiles lobbed at us from the back of the stand - okay they were only a pencil and a pen, but from a distance these things can injure someone. Why not enjoy the game and keep the childish antics outside the ground???

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

It may well have been banter, but didn't notice anyone else getting booed throughout the match?? Also I heard a few folk around me passing comment that they thought it was poor show and when I watched him coming off the pitch I thought it was very noticeable that he didn't look up to the crowd at all. Maybe he did smirk, but I bet he was pretty peed off with it by the end of the match. There was more effort put into booing him than there was cheering Roy throughout the match - not quite right somehow????

Not true.. I would agree bobby Mann n Bazza had songs sung n when Roy was hooked he got a standing ovation n he looked touched by the appreciation, rooster was one of the last off the pitch n I recall he clapped the crowed, I recall also people complacent him for his awareness n still having a touch.

It may well have been banter, but didn't notice anyone else getting booed throughout the match?? Also I heard a few folk around me passing comment that they thought it was poor show and when I watched him coming off the pitch I thought it was very noticeable that he didn't look up to the crowd at all. Maybe he did smirk, but I bet he was pretty peed off with it by the end of the match. There was more effort put into booing him than there was cheering Roy throughout the match - not quite right somehow????

I agree with you madsooz regardless of what sectionG think off Brewster to boo him on Roy's big night shows a total lack of respect

Section G = Lack of class :thumbdown:

dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Thank you Dougal for agreeing with me - I may only be a daft wifie, but I felt the booing was totally out of order. It's not as if it was a mega-serious SPL match when booing is part of the whole 90 mins - I boo with the best of them when it's called for!!!! Georgieos - I'm fully aware that Roy was touched by the crowd's appreciation and support of him, and only as it should have been. And I did see Brewster clap to the crowd but he didn't look at them when he came off the pitch. Don't quite understand your comment "people complacent him for awarenenss"??? Do you mean compliment, because he certainly deserved praise for his good play! If this all sounds like I'm Brewster's biggest fan, then that's not the case, but credit where credit's due, and as I've already said ad infintum, it was Roy's night after all.

Reel your line back in doogle, n funny enough section g was closed, Sooz where were you sitting not to see brewsky look up? I make no comment to what sex you are n it has nothing to do with me disagreeing with you.

Oh how my opinion seems to have tweeked some tails!!! Lol! Not sure what section I was in, but it was behind the home dugout & I'm merely commenting on the fact that I watched Brewster as he left the pitch and he did not look up to the stand when he came off the grass. I was standing up, clapping for both teams and had a completely clear view of him - I didn't sneeze, cough or briefly fall asleep and miss anything! And I certainly wasn't inferring that you were having a go about my sex - just making an observation regarding myself.

Okay, I agree we went down to the first division courtesy of Brewster, but what an exciting season that was for us, and look where we are now???? Some people just seem to dwell on the negatives of seasons gone by - life's too short and what a fabulous team we've got now, eh??

Ooooooooooooooo, pardon me for having an opinion. I think you'll have to read my comments again to see that I thought it was a great night too?? Surely there should have been NO negatives from last night? Certainly that's what I think, but maybe it's totally unacceptable for me to have such a foolish thought in my head?

I felt the booing of Brewster was out of order as well. Those booing may say it was just a bit of banter but if you are being booed all you hear is a boo and you can't say "Oh, listen - sounds like a banter type boo, that's OK then!" Whether it was intented as light hearted on the night or not we all know and Brewster will know that those booing don't like him.

It was a night of celebration spoiled for some by an ignorant show of disprespect by a very small minority. Some may feel Brewster is fair game for a bit of disrespect but last night was not the time nor the place. The point is that the night was about Roy McBain. Roy invited Brewster to play because he has respect for Brewster from the time Brewster was Roy's manager. And Brewster was there because of the respect he has for Roy. Those booing were therefore showing disrespect not just to Brewster but to Roy by their infantile behaviour - shame on you.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I put it down to a wee bit of banter. If you didnt like it then you should have said somthing to the booers and cheered him on, It was a good night dont let the little things spoil it for you peeps.

I felt the booing of Brewster was out of order as well. Those booing may say it was just a bit of banter but if you are being booed all you hear is a boo and you can't say "Oh, listen - sounds like a banter type boo, that's OK then!" Whether it was intented as light hearted on the night or not we all know and Brewster will know that those booing don't like him.

Wasn't at the game so can't say whether it was banter or not, but I was at Jamie Carraghers Testimonial earlier in the season where Michael Owen was playing as part of Carras Liverpool team in the first half. The first 15 minutes or so he was boo'ed longly and loudly for being a Manc nowadays. A few supporters took exception to this and started to cheer him every time he touched the ball. By the end of the half every time he touched the ball it was to applause and cheering.

In short, if any fans thought any boo'ing of Brewser was out of order, why didn't they cheer him instead to show they though it wasn't the time or the place? Would achieve a lot more than moaning on a web forum a day or so after surely?

Wasn't at the game so can't say whether it was banter or not, but I was at Jamie Carraghers Testimonial earlier in the season where Michael Owen was playing as part of Carras Liverpool team in the first half. The first 15 minutes or so he was boo'ed longly and loudly for being a Manc nowadays. A few supporters took exception to this and started to cheer him every time he touched the ball. By the end of the half every time he touched the ball it was to applause and cheering.

In short, if any fans thought any boo'ing of Brewser was out of order, why didn't they cheer him instead to show they though it wasn't the time or the place? Would achieve a lot more than moaning on a web forum a day or so after surely?

I have a lot more time for the likes of Charlie Christie, Barry Wilson and Paul Sheerin than I do for Brewster so why should I cheer more for Brewster than them just because 3 or 4 misguided individuals chose to behave in a moronic fashion towards him. Cheering would only have encouraged them to boo more so I didn't play that silly game. I'm no fan of brewster but I clapped when he played good football which, to be fair, was quite often. Credit where credit is due, respect where respect is due.

If there's one thing that annoys me more than idiots at football matches, it's people who to go to matches and spend more time looking for things to complain about and worrying about what other people are up to instead of watching/enjoying the game themselves

Well, it's just as well none of them have posted in this thread then. I didn't mention the booing at all in my first post match post and Madsooz who raised the matter first started her post by saying that it was an enjoyable evening. I am sure that all of the large number of people who thought the booing out of order thoroughly enjoyed the evening but just felt the edge was taken off it by the very small disrespectful minority who failed to understand that a testamonial match was not the time and place for booing.

Nobody is looking for things to complain about but if you are aware of any behaviour which is not in the interests of the club you support then it is IMHO completely appropriate to comment on it. CaleyD, you say you are annoyed by idiots at football matches and that the booing on Tuesday was not welcome, so how are the idiots and the boo boys supposed to know their behaviour is not welcome unless their fellow supporters tell them when they are out of order? Ignore it and they will continue to think they are being clever.

If someone did something that truly offended a person, then of course that person is well within their rights to raise it.....but that's not what we have here. What we have are a couple of users who are worried that something might have offended someone else. They throw about these claims that others would have been offended without proof, and then shoot down those who claim otherwise with statements like "how do you know?"....well, how do they know otherwise?

It's exactly that kind of busy body behaviour that causes most problems and arguments. Same thing happened with the whole "Gypsy" chant scenario. Nobody from Ross C*unty had ever made a complaint, no travelling folk had ever made a complaint....it was all blown out of proportion by the poor sensitive souls that were getting offended on behalf of people who weren't actually offended by it in the first place.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

CaleyD - I think you'll find that I never mentioned anything about anyone being offended and I object to your comment about me throwing about claims without any proof. My ears work perfectly well and I heard comments made by those around me. Just because I pass remarks about a noticeable element of the night doesn't mean to say I'm a busybody and I can assure you I'm not a sensitive soul - in actual fact I've pretty well got a hide like a rhinoceros! It seems like I've irritated some of you "experts" by having an opinion of my own - I don't expect everyone to agree with me and I'm sure if you take a loooooong look at other posts for other topics, then the thread generally goes like that too. Perhaps having an opinion is just not tolerated by some - next thing I'll be getting a telling off for being a female????

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

Why would those around you have cause to be personally offended by the booing? The fact you're basing your argument on complaints/moans/comments made by others and not because you were offended yourself, seeing as you're not the sensitive sort, is exactly what I am getting at, and what I find irritating.

You are right though, many, if not most, of the threads about "offensive" behaviour do follow the same trend....that being one where people who have no cause to be offended themselves feel the need to complain on behalf of others they assume should be offended but make no complaint themselves.

I'm not trying to justify the actions of those who chose to boo, but Brewster is a big boy and I'm sure he was aware that it was likely when he agreed to play the game. He's not made any complaint about it as far as I am aware and he seemed to have enjoyed his night when he was up in the Kingsmills Suite after the game (shock horror, he didn't sneak off to cry in a corner because some bad boys/girls booed him).....so under what authority do people feel the need to complain on his behalf?

BTW, why do you feel the need to constantly play the "are you going to disagree/have a go because I'm a female?" card. Is that because you think all male football fans are chauvinist pigs, or do you think we should somehow be responding differently because of your gender? You seem to be trying to create an argument on that front that nobody, apart from you, has mentioned. Maybe....and I'm going to go right out on a limb here....people might just disagree with what you are saying (or how you are saying it) and couldn't care less if you were male, female or something in between!!!