FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

A Time to Attack

Renegade

With the new season only just 60-something days away, there is no doubt that new signings will be at the forefront of the mind of Terry Butcher - but what kind of players to sign, is also something of great importance. One of the great successes of last season was the return and eventual departure of Mixu Paatelainen and his Kilmarnock side. I only saw that side play live once last season, but they were a joy to watch. Always working the ball on the ground, looking to attack. I truly believe that this is something that ICT should next season replicate. Would Killie have had such a successful season had it not been for the adoption of this style? I don't think so. History has shown us the an ICT side that tries to attack, keeps the ball on the deck and uses the full width of the field of play, is a more successful ICT side than one that looks to hoof it up the park at every opportunity, often losing possession and even matches in the process. Remember the old adage - "It's better to have one win and one loss, than two draws". Attacking football is the simplist way to victory and it is a style that Butcher must get the team to play if he truly wants to grasp a place in the promised land of the top six. And his signings should reflect this - not looking at players who are big and use nothing but brute force, but those who are swift, skilful and intelligent. This would give ICT a real fighting chance to achieve a top six place next season.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

We'd have to be really lucky to get players available on the free that are able to let us dominate matches. I hope we look at continuing the counter-attacking style that worked so well for us. It worked for Dundee Utd for so many years. But it does depend on who we can manage to get, rather than choosing the style first.

There's maybe an argument with the sweeper style to come in. Duff and Gillet / Shinnie would be good at wing-back, Proctor as sweeper and, if it looks as though we'll only have some rookies to partner Tokely, having an extra player in there would help. Also removes the problem of the 'hole' player that we've struggled so badly with. But let's see who we can get first.

With the departure of Rooney looking more than possible, out tactics will surely need to change. It is vey unlikely that we would be able to pick up a replacement who could be so effective in the lone striker role.

• 1 month later...

From the Highlands News -

"After we lost the opening goal, I think the players grew into the new system and we started to play some of the best passing football possibly in my time at the club."

thumbup.gif

That is interesting to hear he's playing Hayes in the centre.

I can see this working if we play good passing football. He's quite a strong wee lad so could hold his own in the centre more than a lot of wingers and having his pace down the middle of the park will make some defenders sheeit their breeks.

With a good bit of positional rotation happening with an attractive passing game going on and the like of tansey, ross and hayes moving from wide to the centre, swapping positions whilst playing the ball about that could rip up the defences and mess with the opposing markers.

Sounds good to me.

As I alluded to on another post I feel that the tactical intent of TB is fairly clear, one that I applaud and he has obviously chosen the players to play in his "system".

I still think and hope that he is going to strengthen our defence but I suspect that he is trying to make it more resolute but more importantly creative. This is beginning to look like a passing team with one eye on going forward.

We have plenty of relatively young players who all appear to be mobile and pacy - that can be of benefit defensively as well as attacking. We should also have plenty of width and now have options other than Hayes down the flanks. With Cox at the back it has a feel to the days of Cowie,Black, Duncan and Rankin.

TB also appears to have a penchant for wee, nippy strikers - perhaps we are going for the ball on the deck, down the wings, breaking from midfield ploy. That would confuse a lot of SPL defensives and cut out the big centre forward playmaker role and see more of the irritating hassling on the last defender. IMHO pace and persisitent is often better than brawn.

BTING IT ON

Maybe Butcher was on the same coaching course as Danny Lennon, as St Mirren have been playing Gary Teale in an advanced centre midfield role. It worked really well, as it allowed him to play in that unmarkable free role, which would benefit Hayes; who would often be man-marked on the right.

I don't think we've much option other than attack. Our defence so far is threadbare and unconvincing in places. Our def mid of Duncan and Cox has been broken up (and the more attack minded Duff was replacing Duncan half the time anyway). I'd still like to see Proctor get a chance in def mid but I suspect our team will be:

Esson

Proctor - Tokely - Aldred - Gillet

Cox

Hayes - Tansey - Doran

Foran - Mackay/Tade

Not a lot that team can do than attack.

I don't think we've much option other than attack. Our defence so far is threadbare and unconvincing in places. Our def mid of Duncan and Cox has been broken up (and the more attack minded Duff was replacing Duncan half the time anyway). I'd still like to see Proctor get a chance in def mid but I suspect our team will be:

Esson

Proctor - Tokely - Aldred - Gillet

Cox

Hayes - Tansey - Doran

Foran - Mackay/Tade

Not a lot that team can do than attack.

No Nick Ross or Shane Sutherland? :ohmy:

That's who I think Butcher will go for as his first 11 (not necessarily my team I must add). I could be wrong (more so about A. Shinnie not being in there, I suspect) - feel free to name what you think is on his mind. Incidentally, my team would be:

Esson

Proctor

Ross - Tokely - Aldred - Gillet

Hayes - Cox - Tansey - Doran

Foran

But I accept there is no chance of it happening. Hey, I'm ultra-cautious, what can I do?!

Ross at full back and Proctor as a sweeper? :blink:

Midfield and forward line is what i would go with with Mackay beside Foran.

Edited by ajsict92

Yup, allows us to strengthen centre of defence, and attack by bombing along the wings, both at full-back and, well, on the wings. Counter-attacking style. Different I know and no chance of it happening but that's my team anyway. Otherwise, we've got a big problem at RB and a serious lack of bodies for CD, assuming no signings.

Team for next season will be:

Esson

Meekings Tokely Aldred Gillett

Hayes Cox Ross/Tansey Doran

Foran Tade/Mckay/A.Shinnie

I reckon that if he does play andrew shinnie and foran up front then he will go back to the 4-2-3-1 formation. Its going to be a challenge to choose between tansey and ross but at the moment i'd pick ross every day of the week. Quietly confident looking at that

twothumbsup.gif

• Disagree 1