Panorama - Stadiums of Hate (BBC)

Gringo

Have just watched the above programme on the Beeb and am truly shocked at the goings on on the Polish and Ukrainian football terraces. Racist abuse at its most grotesque and this is where the Euro championships are to be held. These countries don't deserve the champions and seem oblivious to problems they have. A group of supporters where giving the Nazi salute and a club official said they were just pointing to opposition..WTF? UEFA seem powerless to stop this and even its president, Platini, refused an interview. I believe that the respective countries football associations should withdraw from the tournament now and really show united front against violence and racism.

Catch the programme on the iPlayer if you didn't see it.

• Agree 1

It just serves to highlight that Scotland is not the only country where teams and the National Association/s are happy to benefit (financially) from the hate filled rivalries that bring people to games in large numbers.

Panorama were obviously showing the Polish and Ukraine problems at their worst....but sadly, I'm not so sure things are any better here, or indeed in many other countries.

• Agree 1

It was truly shocking and the scenes in the terracing luckily don't happen here.

What I found bizarre is the high amount of anti-semetism, Nazi salutes, Nazi banners etc etc in Poland of all countries!

If I were English, i think i'd be staying at home after seeing that.

It just serves to highlight that Scotland is not the only country where teams and the National Association/s are happy to benefit (financially) from the hate filled rivalries that bring people to games in large numbers.

Panorama were obviously showing the Polish and Ukraine problems at their worst....but sadly, I'm not so sure things are any better here, or indeed in many other countries.

EXACTLY.....just had a debate about this very point with a facebook freind. He seems suprised by what he saw, and couldnt comprehend the points i was making about such hatred being prevalent in the west of scotland for example. He was aghast that Polish fans could harbour such hatred for jews.....for some reason. I was pointing out that UK went thro such mentality 20-30 yrs ago. This program tonight did not shock me in the least

• 2 weeks later...

Why / how are people shocked by this?

It's not as if it was a secret, it was pretty much common knowledge that these things happen over there.

This. Sadly it's a typical occurrence across much of the world at football games.