FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Eric Odhiambo

Alex MacLeod

''before joining Inverness in January 2009. He helped Caley into the SPL that season, but he opted for a move to Turkey when his contract at Inverness ended in 2011''

1. no he didnt help us into the spl that season. he helped us out of it.

2. it fails to mention the season and a half of spl football he played for us.

3. he did not opt to leave he was told to leave.

why are these columns always so brief? its literally an extra 5 minutes work.

butcher out!

Edited by lukemackay

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a strange one, as I don't recall us knowing anything about it at the time. But it appears he played in a defeat in Iran in March 2009. He certainly wasn't in ICT's matchday squad that weekend.

There's also an Eric Odhiambo who plays cricket for Kenya, and was in the team that beat Scotland recently.

....could have sworn he was from Tanzania??

I believe he has some connection there as well.  His brother was born there, or capped for them, or something like that.

It's a strange one, as I don't recall us knowing anything about it at the time. But it appears he played in a defeat in Iran in March 2009. He certainly wasn't in ICT's matchday squad that weekend.

There's also an Eric Odhiambo who plays cricket for Kenya, and was in the team that beat Scotland recently.

I looked that up recently as well.  I certainly don't recollect any talk of it at the time which is strange.

EDIT

Hang on a second!  I just discovered something!  It might be a different Eric Odhiambo.

http://www.footballzz.com/jogador.php?id=259343&epoca_id=0

I see this fellow called Eric Ray Odhiambo was playing in his native Kenya in 2009.  Could it actually be him who was the Eric Odhiambo who was capped?

Edited by Renegade

Wouldn't surprise me.  I mentioned earlier that our Eric wasn't in ICT's matchday squad that day, but looking back he was subbed off in the first half of our previous game, so might just have been missing due to injury.

Edit to add: this supposed cap only got added to his Wikipedia page on 13th October 2013, more than 4 years after the event.

Edited by Yngwie

Somewhat bizarrely, I was chatting to the cricketing  Odhiambo, one of two unrelated Odhiambos currently playing international cricket for Kenya in the summer . Neither are related to our Eric. The surname is, seemingly, common in Kenya and in East Africa generally.

Not convinced that the Eric Odhiambo capped for Kenya was the one who played for ICT.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

It may be one of those instances where similar names have caused confusion on internet football databases. Gary Warren still has appearances for Arbroath earlier in his career listed on Soccerbase and lots of other websites. But it wasn't 'our' Gary!

I remember finding out that there was a GaRRy Warren that played a few times for Arbroath at the specified time but he was a winger who'd signed from a Tayside junior club!

That article from Yngwie is interesting as it corroborates the Tanzania link. However, It's the only place I've read that he was actually born in Africa. Most other sites have him as being Oxford. Confusing! I notice Victor Wanyama was playing in the game. Somebody Twitter him and ask!

Our Eric Geno Sije Odhiambo who was born in Oxford of Tanzanian origin should not be confused with  Eric Ray Odhiambo who is Kenyan. There is no record of our one ever having played at international level. He now plays for Sligo under his brother-in-law Ian Baraclough.

Great what you find in Wiki.