FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Changes

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

This is taken from my Match Report from Midden:

Still a point away when not playing at your best must be a bonus. Must have given Yogi a few thoughts and will be interesting to see if there are any changes at Tynecastle. To assist Mr. Hughes in his decision making may I suggest that he initially has to make a very difficult decision about the left back position. Graeme Shinnie is not a right back. He may well be solid and reliable in that position but he is considerably more effective on his left foot. Tremarco has not put a foot wrong but he is not in the Shinnie class. To me the decision is to who plays right back - Tremarco or Raven. Then there is wee Billy, Nicky Ross and Aaron Doran. I have a hunch that Mr. Hughes would favour a 4-4-2 and a target man up front. Toby is the only one who hits the target man role but I am not sure whether he is up to it. Foran to me is the answer with Ross and Draper in central midfield.

Thoughts ?

In my opinion, IF Yogi was to tinker with the tactics too much it may go wrong however under Butcher I always felt that we lacked a 'Plan B' and fear that other teams would find us out and know how to deal with it.

Will be interesting to see what he does!

A consistent theme that emerged when other fans talked about Hughes was that he also lacked a 'Plan B' if his preferred tactic wasn't working out for him.

Therefore, I don't think he will be keen to change things around too much hence why he keeps saying: "Business as usual"

Butcher never had a Plan B and indeed his usual tactic was pretty much set up at the start of the season and that was it for the rest of the season! Even Butchers subs were almost always too late in the game to make any difference

Personnel will likely change as suspensions and injuries come into play but it will be interesting to see how or indeed if Hughes changes the shape of the team

Considering we are only 2nd in the league, with a game in hand and on the verge of a cup final, with a chance in the other, I think it's time to ditch the current tactics and personnel.  It's clearly not working.

Nobody is suggesting that the current tactic is not working, if anything I feel that it best suits our style of play. The only difference is, is that Yogi may have his own ideas and may want to implement that into the team but nothing suggests that to be the case.....yet!

I am sure what he is going to do he will do gradually, he is right to leave things well alone at the moment and watch what develops.

If or when he wants to change to two up front my suggestion would be to reinstate Raven, put Foran up front with Billy, rest Ross, and put Shinnie into mid field. That to my mind would be as good a plan B as required. Toby could be used as sub for whoever runs out of steam first Billy or Richie. Tremarco has earned the right to stay where he is and Graeme would enjoy a more adventurous role.

Butcher never had a Plan B and indeed his usual tactic was pretty much set up at the start of the season and that was it for the rest of the season! Even Butchers subs were almost always too late in the game to make any difference

Personnel will likely change as suspensions and injuries come into play but it will be interesting to see how or indeed if Hughes changes the shape of the team

That's not strictly true.  In our season in the First, if things weren't going to plan, he'd go 3-4-3.  I seem to remember one occasion as well, involved throwing Bulvitis on with not long remaining, in order to stick Tokely up as a centre-forward.  For some reason he stopped doing it after promotion and when things weren't going to plan instead changed.......nothing!

Edited by Renegade

Currently there is no reason to change how we play as we have a system that is suited to the players we have. In terms of Shinnie at RB, I always think it looks awkward, whenever he gets the ball he either has to turn backwards or inside to get onto his left foot, that's ok when he's further up the pitch but in our own half it's more scary. Either he or perhaps more likely, Tremarco will be due to be suspended and I don't see the team being changed until then and nor do I think it should be. When that happens Raven should be slotted back into RB.

SOme people suggesting Foran potentially being moved back up front, personally I don't see it and I hope not. He plays a far too important role in the middle of midfield both breaking up and making play. We really miss him when he isn't in there. I think this season so far has been one of his best here.

• Agree 1

I was not advocating mass changes - just the use of a more 4-4-2 formation as another option. Butcher stuck to a system and often played players in to that system when it never really suited them. Why the hell wait until somebody is suspended ?

Raven and Shinnie is a better combination than Shinie and Tremarco / Raven and Tremarco - bottom line. I also fear that Richie will not last the pace in midfield.

Considering we are only 2nd in the league, with a game in hand and on the verge of a cup final, with a chance in the other, I think it's time to ditch the current tactics and personnel.  It's clearly not working.

yeah maybe Brill is wasted in goal - perhaps move him up behind the striker where he can be more creative  :lol:

I was not advocating mass changes - just the use of a more 4-4-2 formation as another option. Butcher stuck to a system and often played players in to that system when it never really suited them. Why the hell wait until somebody is suspended ?

Raven and Shinnie is a better combination than Shinie and Tremarco / Raven and Tremarco - bottom line. I also fear that Richie will not last the pace in midfield.

Years of playing football manager has taught me to never change an on form team, thats why.

A very good thread IMO, with strong and logical debate points.

Raven was one of our best players before his off spell, but we have had a great run of clean sheets recently. Shinnie and Raven bombing forward created more chances, both were keen and capable at crossing after an overlap which contributed towards better attacking football. The crux is do we favour solid clean sheets over slightly stagnating attacking play or a more attack focussed shinnie/raven overlap system. Yogi, I've read, prefers a more attacking team so perhaps he will go for the latter.

One thing is great about this situation - we have great options in our depth and it is a good problem to have.

Edited by Northern_jaggie

• 3 weeks later...