FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

30 years ago today

Tichy_Blacks_Back

It is 30 years ago today (9th February 1985) during the playing of the 100th Scottish Cup that Inverness Thistle beat Kilmarnock 3-0 at Kingsmills Park in the third round. This is still looked upon by Kille fans as their biggest Scottish Cup defeat and so maybe the club could put a little reminder of it in the programme for the home game against Killie on the 21st February to mark the milestone (for historical purposes only). :wink:

killieprog.gif

In a nod to this season's Scottish Cup - that same year in the 2nd Round Thistle beat Spartans 2-1 away after a 1-1 draw at Kingsmills Park. Caley defeated Berwick Rangers 3-0 in a 2nd replay after 1-1 and 3-3 draws. Therefore it would be fiiting that today's Scottish Cup draw paired us against the winners of the Berwick Rangers/Spartans tie. This would allow the club and the media (ok - maybe not the BBC) to reflect on how far we have come in such a short time. :ictscarf:  

spartansvjags85.gif1311604913-18873-0.jpg

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 10

Inverness Thistle 3-0 Kilmarnock

Scottish Cup 3rd round, February 9th 1985. From  http://www.axis32.dsl.pipex.com/programmes.htm :

''I was only 12 years old when I watched this match but the result and the 2500 crowd made it a match I will never forget.

Dave Milroy put Jags 1-0 up with a header in the 36th minute. In 79 mins. it was 2-0 with Gordon Hay knocking the ball over the head of the Killie keeper and then heading it into the open goal. The third goal came in the 84th minute from Brian Fraser, substitute only on the park for a few seconds, when he fired the ball into the net from a tight angle.

Unsurprisingly the Killie fans were none to happy with their teams performance and after the final whistle had blown they proceeded to throw their scarves onto the pitch in disgust! The sight of all those blue and white scarves strewn over the Kingsmills Park turf was a sight to behold........it was just like playing against Caley !!! ''

Killie seem to sack Managers around the same date too!!!

I remember coming away from the ground and listening to Bill McAllister give his report on the BBC. He finished the report by saying

so, Inverness Thistle sitting second bottom of the Highland League have beaten Kilmarnock three nil!

I wasn't a Jags supporter but still gave a little fist pump at that remark.

Here's the highlights of the Celtic game c/w Murd Urquhart's challenge on McGrain  :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJQPq5u0v8

Loving this thread. Watched the youtube Celtic-Thistle highlights a couple of times in recent weeks. Was at that Killie game myself, a little kid excited at the prospect of Thistle taking on a big Scottish team. Archie MacPherson's somewhat patronising analysis should come with a health warning though. Was going to say changed days. Yes, Inverness football has changed but central belt ignorance hasn't! lol 

• Agree 1

A really bad shout on my part that day! I decided that Thistle didn't have a snowball's so went to watch a cross country race in Forres instead. I was coming back up Kingsmills road just as the crowd were coming out of the game. I would my window down and asked a Jaggie the score.

"3-0"

"Oh well, never mind lads. There's always next yea!"

"3-0 FOR THISTLE!!"

• Agree 1

Remember Brian Fraser scoring the third, but I couldn't have told you that Milroy and Hay scored the other two. My strongest memory of the day was how different Kingsmills felt with that many people in it, and with that sort of atmosphere, especially in the last 20 minutes or so, I'd been going semi-regularly for a couple of years by that point, but I'd never experienced a day like that. I was down the front of the shed, watching the game under the barrier because I was pretty small, and it felt absolutely jammed.   

My main memory of that day apart from the plethora of Killie scarves on the pitch at the end was a mature and rather rotund Bobby who was policing the enclosure who revealed himself as a Jaggie when he threw up both arms and cheered loudly when the third goal went in and when I smiled at him 'questioned his neutrality' showed me the red and black scarf he had concealed in his pocket.

Indeed a great match and the atmosphere was electric. Even now it is still up there among the best games I have been to for atmosphere (and the right result):

1. Liverpool 5 Alves 4 (2001, Westfalenstadion, Dortmund)

2. Inverness Thistle 3 Kilmarnock 0 (1985, Kingsmills Park, Inverness)

3. Portugal 2 England 2 (pens 6-5) (2004, Estadio da Luz, Lisbon)

Here's hoping we get a Scottish Cup Final game that can challenge those :-)

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 2

Here's the highlights of the Celtic game c/w Murd Urquhart's challenge on McGrain  :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJQPq5u0v8

Legendary stuff! That's the first time I've actually seen that famous altercation between Murd and McGrain - who should have had a straight red in my view.

But at Celtic Park? Not a chance!

By pure coincidence, in this week's Highland News I will be remembering with affection the great Scottish Cup campaigns of that decade before ICT came into being.

Apart from Jags beating Kilmarnock and playing at Celtic Park we had Caley beating Airdrie, Clyde, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion, Berwick and playing Rangers, Hearts, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did all that lot not take place between 1984 and 1992?

These were great days for Inverness football at a time when Bobby Wilson's Ross County also had some great results.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2