Who wants Gary Warren to stay?

caleyboy

So the club is able to pay for senior management who are supposed to be improving communication  and putting the fans first but when it comes to important decisions and news it's back to the same of the old. It really is jobs for the boys on the board I don't see this board lasting. Nothing they have done so far has given me any confidence in them communication is as poor as ever.

• Agree 5

The club seems to be failing miserably with the 'better communication' with the fans statement at the beginning of last season. We should have been informed before it is revealed to all in the P and J. Gary Warren deserved a better ending to his ICT career than the one the current board have delivered. I know every player has a sell by date, but the way we seem to be treating our older experienced players is woeful in my opinion. I wish Gary all the best for the future and thanks for the memories. 

• Agree 5

Buy a season ticket to win Subway sandwiches.  Buy a strip to win a ticket for your kids to play football.   Father's Day - buy a strip, season ticket, gift voucher, or merchandise.  New director - 'Watch out for some great @SUBWAY offers coming up!'  McEwan Fraser -win match ball.  P&J - win two season tickets. 

I'm all for more money at the club and reducing unnecessary costs.  But its a football club, not Groupon.  Have to match this with general communication and engagement - e.g. on the departures of long-standing players.   Doesn't seem the club can do both.  That's not sustainable or community-focused, btw.

• Agree 1

Should we really be surprised?  This chairman is a businessman who knows nothing about football - nothing.  He won't understand the connection between some players and the fans and he doesn't care.  This is business and nothing else.  He allegedly doesn't know the names of the players and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't even know who Gary Warren is.

All about soundbites and corporate marketing (such as the Jacobite strip launch) these days. The social media is so sanitised its barely worth reading. The board and the new CEO need to realise that without paying customers ie fans there is no club. All for trying to find new income streams but all we have had thus far is paying off long standing players and adding to the  the field wage bill. Its like nobody listens anymore!

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

The social media is so sanitised its barely worth reading. The board and the new CEO need to realise that without paying customers ie fans there is no club. 

It's like it's being run by an American teenage boy.  This '#TeamICT' stuff is cringeworthy.  What next?  The national anthem before matches?  A fly over by the Red Arrows?  Cheerleaders spelling out 'Gooooooo Nessies!'?

• Agree 3

Just now, Renegade said:

It's like it's being run by an American teenage boy.  This '#TeamICT' stuff is cringeworthy.  What next?  The national anthem before matches?  A fly over by the Red Arrows?  Cheerleaders spelling out 'Gooooooo Nessies!'?

You missed out their other favourite..."the boys" ! Seriously does my head in.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

It does seem the only time they put out a statement is when a sponsor wants fans to visit their business or a sponsor has a competition.  This seems more like the sponsor is using the ICT online media for their own benefit and if it continues no one will bother to stay connected via their social media streams.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

It does seem the only time they put out a statement is when a sponsor wants fans to visit their business or a sponsor has a competition.  This seems more like the sponsor is using the ICT online media for their own benefit and if it continues no one will bother to stay connected via their social media streams.

A couple of months back, I went through the official website newsfeed and I found there was a lot of statements and news stories that weren't also tweeted or posted on Facebook.  One was a pre-Challenge Cup final poem! ?

19 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Coincidence?  

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 17.28.28.png

Edited by Glover
  • Agree 1

Well you try and back this new regime but simple errors continue to be made. afraid that it is a case of at least one step forward and one step back. It only smacks that there is some sort of cover ups going on. Decision probably makes sense to most but the manner is more suggestive of a cruel, blunt dumping than a considered and amicably agreed farewell. And it simply is not rocket science to have got it right.

• Agree 4

The manner of Gary's departure at the board's instigation and behest is as IHE says, a 'cruel, blunt dumping' but is part of the 'sustainable business model' and 'community-based club' with 'good governance' and 'financial discipline' (from Mr Rae's AGM statement).  An an example:  All the ideas for ICT25 will need to pass the 'financial discipline' test:

"Some of the high level ideas being suggested for the year of celebration are:-    [these are my estimates for example sake]

• Organising a keynote match against prominent opposition [£25/Hospitality £100]
  • Creating a memorabilia museum within the stadium, featuring a hall of fame and memorabilia [£5 entry fee]
  • Producing a film and photo-led book on the club’s history [£15]
  • Staging events such as a celebration dinner/golf event/reunion [£150 dinner]
  • Creating new merchandise including, a special commemorative strip [£50]

All will cost fans money - start saving for ICT25.  

All of the above are new product lines or retail displays.  

Partick, Dunfermline and Falkirk are not pursuing this approach so rawly -  their Open Days are free and open to the entire "community" whereas we have Golden Ticket#biggesthomegame - a purchase entry model for children (parents).  Parents spend on kids - when the economy dives, spending on their education increases - that's the resilient (AGM speak) target market behind Golden Ticket.  

People are not as daft as VP's might like to think!

Edited by Glover
clarification

47 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Well you try and back this new regime but simple errors continue to be made. afraid that it is a case of at least one step forward and one step back. It only smacks that there is some sort of cover ups going on. Decision probably makes sense to most but the manner is more suggestive of a cruel, blunt dumping than a considered and amicably agreed farewell. And it simply is not rocket science to have got it right.

I agree fully IHE. Gary Warren was a great signing, glad he was here and wish him all the best for the future. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gary has been a great player and captain for us and I am sorry to see him go.

I hope he has had a fair settlement of his contract and goes on to do with Yeovil or wherever he turns up.

Realistically, this has been inevitable for some time, not just when announced a few weeks ago and when we signed Jamie McCart, who I am delighted we have brought in.

Looking at the first team squad, that is five out (Seedorf, Warren, Vigurs, Mulraney and Bell) and five in, almost straight replacements (Rooney, McCart, Beith, Walsh and Whyte).

Not knowing much about them, other than McCart, I am hopeful we are starting with a stronger squad than we finished last season with. Time will tell!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

The bottom line is that it is Robbo and his "boot room" who make the player choices.

But  the decision was financial (Gary's ability is/was 'excellent') and while it was Robbo who spoke to Gary, it was on the board's behest - 

"My job on behalf of the board is to get the wage bill down to a sustainable and affordable level for the club going forward" 

and so Gary was the fall guy, could easily been Tremarco or Polworth in his place (and was Vigurs/Mulraney...Fon Williams, Raven, ) but Gary is older and we had cover.  I have no evidence that the board specified Gary explicitly but as 'Premiership wage' was bandied about in the press then and today, it is likely.  I don't think Robbo would be going on about wages of his own volition; he has too much class.

We are/were down to 11 outfield players, excluding new signings and youth.  We now have 16 'experienced' outfield players but those 5 have been to replace Vigurs, Mulraney, Elsdon, Baird, Raven, Seedorf, Draper, Cooper, and Warren now.  

I would say the board have cut massively, and we are now very much a Championship squad.  Was it necessary for Warren to go too considering the squad age,  no.  

But the issue is and should be that the club never bothered to inform the fans, just the P&J.  

Edited by Glover
add squad info
  • Agree 1

Has the legal paperwork regarding Warren’s contract termination actually been finalised and signed? You wouldn’t expect the club to make an announcement before that has been done, even if agreement has been reached on his pay off. No idea if this is the case or not, just a thought.

• Agree 1

Brian Rice announcement?  Or was Gary’s so much more complex and fast-moving?  No.  P&J had enough detail to know it was club-based - Them finalising it, agreeing to leave to reduce his wage burden and looking for a new club... all details i doubt the P&J plucked from thin air.

Edited by Glover
P&J detail

Time to ponder the cost savings

Settlement fee - doubt Warren would have just walked for free

Are we a weaker team or squad- right now yes so how does that effect final league positions, cup runs and any prize monies this season?

Has the board behaviour alienated any fans or is it just pushing some loyal ones to the brink - does that effect footfall

Warren had been part of our success period, with a squad lacking big names or star players Warren Doran Polly tremarco were probably the 4 big name draws but one is gone - does that effect sponsors?

Perhaps the saving of the reported premiership wage is overtaken but what we loose out on and rather than being better off the club ends up worse but fortunately for the board this could only be conjecture.

Some fans are happy enough with 90mins worth and so that group won’t be affected much.   Some have a more catholic view and for those, it is a worrying trend following  the acrimonious Draper, Raven and fon Williams (we think) departures.  I would say those who have affinity to players are not the type of supporter the club should be taking for granted.  

I'm not quite sure why everyone is losing their minds about this, he sat on the bench for most of the second half of the season and quite honestly our most successful part of our season, not just that but we currently have one of the lowest budgets in the league this season and his Gary being on the wages he is it would be stupid to keep him just to sit on the bench because "he brings experience" if he has been released he would legally have had to agree with it aswell so it's not as if he doesn't get a say in it and Robbo had already stated he would only have left once he found somewhere else to go otherwise he would have used him. This current board is having to make drastic changes financially due to the way the previous board ran things so if that means cutting down on the playing squad and letting our youth players play more and trying to push more things in terms of sponsorship i'm not sure how it is a bad thing it is a business after all. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, Yngwie said:

Has the legal paperwork regarding Warren’s contract termination actually been finalised and signed? You wouldn’t expect the club to make an announcement before that has been done, even if agreement has been reached on his pay off. No idea if this is the case or not, just a thought.

The fact that our board members are bragging to people that they got Gary to sign an agreement not to speak about his departure publicly would make you think it has been done.