FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Arbroath Dec 2023

tm4tj

Ferguson's first job was to stabilise the team.  He did that by finding a starting 11 and formation that was working and getting results.  Dodds hadn't managed that.

That has been disrupted due to some of that starting 11 being unavailable for various reasons, and not having sufficient quality on the bench.  We'd already seen frailty with subs at the end if games.

We might have hoped to have got to January without these challenges, but not to be.

Unfortunately, I don't think the January window will bring the changes we'd like to see because we don't have money to be paying players off and bringing new ones in.  The fact we're taking free agents on trial in December indicates the market we might be able to shop in.

Ferguson has, to my knowledge, never talked about promotion play offs and has been fairly clear that he was tasked with survival.

The best we can hope for is that some of these fringe players improve with the game time they're getting and we cobble together enough to be above the relegation spots at the end of the season.  Given how things were looking a few weeks ago, I'd be content with that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

I’ve a few beers inside me after being at (excellent) hospitality due to the kind generosity of my previous employers, so my views may be a bit inebriated.

I thought we shaded the first half and didn’t deserve to be behind at the break. The tactical change at half time should have put us on the front foot but we were dismal in the second half and didn’t trouble Arbroath. They didn’t even need to resort to time wasting and play acting to run the clock down.

Billy Mckay spoke after the game and told it as it was. We should have gone in 1-1 at the break but we didn’t kick on after half time.

That’s 3 points out of 12 so our battle is at the bottom of the table now rather than the top, and every point is a prisoner. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

I think the attitude of 'we expect 6 points from the next two games' permeated the club after Hampden. They were made to look like easy games. Add in the fact that new trialists are being looked at and you can see uncertainty in forming a solid group. Shape wise yesterday was highlighted with potentially 5 main defenders until Nikola was withdrawn. Sending on three attacking subs at full time to salvage something in added time seemed optimistic.  Gaston worked the referee to perfection adding to the overall headache. Partick Thistle away next Saturday should be fun.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

I think the attitude of 'we expect 6 points from the next two games' permeated the club after Hampden. They were made to look like easy games. Add in the fact that new trialists are being looked at and you can see uncertainty in forming a solid group. Shape wise yesterday was highlighted with potentially 5 main defenders until Nikola was withdrawn. Sending on three attacking subs at full time to salvage something in added time seemed optimistic.  Gaston worked the referee to perfection adding to the overall headache. Partick Thistle away next Saturday should be fun.

This.....

The defence has looked fragile all this season including when we've won. Devine for example doesn't suit this passing game. 

Referee was a pedant and Gaston took full advantage. At one point he got a free kick after being fouled by her own player! 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

This.....

The defence has looked fragile all this season including when we've won. Devine for example doesn't suit this passing game. 

Referee was a pedant and Gaston took full advantage. At one point he got a free kick after being fouled by her own player! 

That was a howler and from the North stand we saw plenty of these. Saying that Arbroath's second goal was the worst !

Pretty sad end to the game, First half we played pretty well and missed some chances where players made the wrong choice ( Harper and Shaw ) had we taken them the outcome would have been very different. The second half was so flat as there didn't seem to be as much energy as the first half?

Losing a soft goal from a deflection into the box where their player reacted a lot quicker than our defenders was a blow, Davidson i'm afraid was pretty poor and he looked more and more nervous as the game went on, Whether it's a lack of game time or that he's just shyte I don't know.

We sure missed Carson, and if Welsh was available by some strange occurrence i'm sure we would have more control in midfield, And Gilmore ain't no Allardice.

The Ref is another story, how the moron got fooled by the Arbroath players( Especially Gaston) is beyond belief, One high ball into the box second half saw him come out to try and win the ball, He realised he couldn't and just threw himself over, Ref was suckered and blew for a foul... feckin unbelieveable.

A lot of unhappy fans at full time, Even with Harper sauntering over clapping his hands sarcastically the loss to Arbroath was a sore one.

• Agree 3

• tm4tj unpinned this topic