FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The BBC Radio take

Just finished listening to the Radio Scotland sports broadcast tonight. Chick Young's take on the vacancy was that Brewster is firm favourite. Didn't even mention Warnock by name - I think his closest reference was something like "There have been some bizarre names mentioned - even former Premiership managers". Jim Spence or Kheredine Iddesine or whoever the presenter was did then mention Warnock, but the response was merely "he'd be a great addition for us" (i.e. the media - because Warnock gives good copy / is a "character").

Radio 5 on the other hand did mention Warnock on Sport on Five tonight, but again the tone was more bemusement and intrigue and obviously highlighted because it would gain more interest among English listeners.

In summary: the BBC don't appear to be treating Warnock as a serious candidate. Does this indicate insider knowledge? Or just a lack of respect for ICT's ability to attract a "big" name?

P.S. Rory got about 25 minutes but seemed to spend most of his time, in common with the rest of the team, defending on the eighteen-yard line. Good result for Scotland though.

Sadly.........i think we will be cruely let down by a no show by Warnock and be left wi the naff appointment of Brewster as the board seem to lack ambition, vision and courage apart from anything else

Yip I heard it as well. They were lucky they manged to fit us in with 90 seconds of the show to go. Chick had to talk Gordon Smith for ages about nothing in particular  :rolleyes02:

You almost got the impression that they were thinking there was no way Warnock would even consider us  :008:

The BBC have been saying all day that Brewster is the favourite? Who with? The BBC? Brewster? The Club? The Bookies? It's certainly not the fans  :023:

Stole the following transcript from The Caley Jags Bebo page. Hope he dont mind, after all he stole it first.

Brewster wants Inverness return

Craig Brewster celebrates scoring for Aberdeen at the weekend

Craig Brewster is on a short-term contract with Aberdeen

Craig Brewster would relish the chance of a return to management with his former club, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, BBC Sport understands.

Former Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock is the only candidate to so far publicly express an interest after Charlie Christie's resignation.

But 41-year-old Aberdeen striker Brewster emerged as an early favourite.

Inverness have yet to talk to potential candidates but hope to make an appointment by the weekend.

Indeed, the Caley Thistle board has decided to gauge the feelings of the Scottish Premier League club's supporters before making an appointment.

Directors will meet members of the club's supporters' trust on Wednesday evening to discuss head coach Christie's resignation on Monday citing the pressures of the job.

Director of football Graeme Bennett told BBC Sport: "We haven't made contact with anyone yet.

"We'll have a meeting tomorrow morning to draw up a list of two or three candidates, but we're aware that we have to get our skates on.

"We haven't set a specific deadline, but ideally we'd like to have someone in place by the weekend."

Bennett would not be opposed to a former manager returning to the club, John Robertson having also been linked with the job along with Brewster.

The Inverness director would not speak about individual potential candidates, although he had earlier been quoted by the Daily Express confirming that Warnock's name had been put forward.

Warnock quit the Blades following their relegation from the Premiership in England last season.

And the 58-year-old said: "I have often talked about managing in Scotland.

"We have family up there and my wife has already said she would like to live in Scotland at some point.

"I'm dying to get back into the game and if Inverness or anybody else want to talk to me then I would be more than delighted to do so."

"I have not always been money-motivated. For me, it is more about the size of the challenge and working for people who have faith in me."

Brewster's first, 14-month spell in charge at the Caledonian Stadium ended in January 2006.

He had been persuaded to end his time at the Highland club by a return to Dundee United, where he lasted nine months before resuming his playing career at Pittodrie.

Robertson, who recently took charge of Derry City, had ended his two-year spell at Caledonian Stadium in 2004 after being enticed back to former club Hearts.

Speculation has also linked Maurice Malpas, who parted company with Motherwell during the summer, with the Inverness job.

But reports suggesting that injury-plagued Celtic and Scotland defender Steven Pressley could be a candidate are wide of the mark.

Meanwhile, Christie's assistant, Donald Park, who is staying on for the moment as caretaker, has already been ruled out the running.

Sourse: BBC Sports Scotland

the press dont know jack until the last minute when it comes to predicting our manager. every time they just dust down the malpas, robbo, pele, brewster list give or take a few turkeys.

they absolutely dont believe were capable of attracting a warnock just like we couldn't get to the spl, beat celtic , rangers or whatever.condecending tubes. get it up them and sign the boy warnock

"Reports suggesting that injury-plagued Celtic and Scotland defender Stephen Pressley could be a candidate are wide of the mark."

Glad to read that. I'm sure Pressley has shown ability in completing his coaching badges, but it wouldn't be fair to us or him to put him into the job when we are sitting bottom of the league and confidence is probably as low as it has been for some time. He should start his career in the lower leagues, we should deviate from our past policy and go for someone with a lot of experience. Like Warnock...

I must admit........my heart is set on Warnock now....and i agree wi alt maryhill.....its time to make an experienced appointment if for no other reason than the 3 novices we have appointed have not lasted long for one reason or other.

Only spondoolachs will get Warnock. Can Savage afford to have two mega earners in such a small club ? Can Savage afford to have somebody as headstrong as Warnock at the helm. I doubt it. This could be another publicity stunt.

I actually think that money would not be an issue for Warnock. He brought his missus up with him last year and she loved the place so that in itself could be a deciding factor.

Yip I heard it as well. They were lucky they manged to fit us in with 90 seconds of the show to go.

Kencar... to be fair to the BBC, that was last night's (Tue) programme. We did have an extended (around 10 minutes) slot on Monday evening's Sportsound with Jim Spence, two guests in the Glasgow studio, myself in Inverness and clips of Graeme Bennett from the press conference.

It got a very extensive airing and at that time Craig Brewster was the only candidate on the radar. That would appear to have changed since yesterday.

Only spondoolachs will get Warnock. Can Savage afford to have two mega earners in such a small club ? Can Savage afford to have somebody as headstrong as Warnock at the helm. I doubt it. This could be another publicity stunt.

Strangely IHE's post here appears to have been quite prophetic.....  :024:

I'm firmly in the hire Warnock camp and have made that clear.

I cannot get my head round why Craig Brewster is the main candidate, what has he done since leaving to put himself in this position???

It would seem to me a very risky move and I have a gut feeling it is a very bad idea.

Risk is a big factor here, however, if the board see this as the best move then he would get my support.

The way our season has started we need a boost, not a brewst. We have had "nice" guys as managers before, lets try someone with experience and a reputedly nasty streak for a change. If we are going to be used as a shop window, lets make sure we are in the High Street, not Church Street!

Bring on Warnock.

The way our season has started we need a boost, not a brewst. We have had "nice" guys as managers before, lets try someone with experience and a reputedly nasty streak for a change. If we are going to be used as a shop window, lets make sure we are in the High Street, not Church Street!

Bring on Warnock.

Does anyone use high streets nowadays. Much easier to drive to the out of town super centres...aka Inches :003:

Action Man.." we need a boost not abrewst"  :003: :clapping03:

Yep, hope we don't get "bruised" by his appointment aussie.

I will fall off my chair if Warnock comes--this would signal great flair and showmanship by Management, not canny Highland caution, which heretofore has not been their forte with the exception of Niculae, finiculae. And it would certainly signal a more adventurous and courageous approach as in...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But somehow I can't really see it happening..but.... :002:

A fresh face would be a very good thing, not backward glances to old love affairs that  brought as much controversy and heartache as  joy. :023: