FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who will take our penalties....

tm4tj

If and when Johnboy goes, who do you think should be the man for the job.

Bazza is not in the frame just now, Denzil does not take many, despite being a fairly prolific goal scorer, who then fills you with confidence when the ball is put on the spot twelve yards from International keepers and a blood thirsty opposition support baying for blood and the score is 0-0 in the third minute of injury time at the end of the second half in the game which will decide your clubs destiny for the season :crazy07:

So, what are our best options and why?

We've never really replaced Sheerin as dependable (95% of the time) penalty taker.

Get Wilson off the bench as soon as we are awarded one?

Niculae probably deserves another chance, particulary now that his confidence and sharpness have improved.

If and when Johnboy goes, who do you think should be the man for the job.

Panic not... Johnboy's not going anywhere.....  :003:

I know Niculae did miss one for us, but his confidence is much higher now, he has shown he has a decent shot and can find the corner of the net...

I would give him another chance....

Guest TinCanFan

What about Black who I think has scored one in the reserves alread this season, I'd also go for Nicuale, Duncan or Fraser who's kicking really has improved over the last few weeks.

Guest TinCanFan

Fraser who's kicking really has improved over the last few weeks.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

What about Stipe Pletikosa, Rene Higuita, Rogerio Ceni, Hamish McAlpine, Jose Chilavert and Hans Jorg Butt?  They have all scored from the spot and taken penalties as the first choice in their team at some point in their career and even Peter Schmeichel once scored from the spot for Denmark.  So why not let Michael Fraser try taking one?  It's rarely done so much now but I don't see the point in not trying it and if it all goes wrong then it shouldn't be tried again but, don't see the harm in letting it be done once.

Fraser who's kicking really has improved over the last few weeks.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

What about Stipe Pletikosa, Rene Higuita, Rogerio Ceni, Hamish McAlpine, Jose Chilavert and Hans Jorg Butt?  They have all scored from the spot and taken penalties as the first choice in their team at some point in their career and even Peter Schmeichel once scored from the spot for Denmark.  So why not let Michael Fraser try taking one?  It's rarely done so much now but I don't see the point in not trying it and if it all goes wrong then it shouldn't be tried again but, don't see the harm in letting it be done once.

A penalty is not something that you experiment with. Chilavert is the only keeper up there that took regular penalties, and Paraguay used to loose alot of goals from it. The others took penalites during a penalty shoot out. Even if you take the goalie factor away, Fraser is not the best penalty taker in the team, so why should it be him? For the novelty factor?

If you dont see the harm of not only having your goalie up that end of the field, let alone risking what should 80% of the time be a stick on goal, then I despair.

wee blackie definitely, he took them as a youngster........

Gillian darling....  :004:

Do you only ever see one player on the pitch during a footie match...  :symbol_question:

Most of the time, at most games there are at least 21 others out there...  :symbol_exclaim01:

Although I think this started off as a good question - as somebody would have to replace Rankin in taking penalties.

It does seem to me rather a pointless discussion as we could all say - well I would go for - Tokely, Duncan, Black, Cowie etc etc but how do we know if they are any good at taking them them? Just because you are a good player does not necessarily make you a good penalty taker and vice-versa. The Manager will know who the best/most confident is from watching them all taking penalties in training.

BTW, IMHO a goalkeeper should NEVER be the penalty taker (apart from in a penalty shoot-out) for the obvious reason - if he misses then he has to try and get back before the other team scores.

In all seriousness Wilson should be pen taker if he's on the pitch. If he's not then Niculae or Black to take them. I think Niculae was unfortunate to miss against hibs, i think now he has gained confidence and that goal scoring touch then he is the logical choice. A penalty for Niculae away from home may well be the break he needs to carry on his goal scoring run away from TCS.

If he's on the pitch then Bazza must take them. The amount of penalties he took and scored during our first season in the SPL shows he is the right choice.

I feel that it just has to be Cowie - given that he is the first choice dead ball taker. I wouldnt mind giving Marius another crack at it either - he was unlucky against Hibs and should have the experience and composure to assume the responsibility.

BTW, IMHO a goalkeeper should NEVER be the penalty taker (apart from in a penalty shoot-out) for the obvious reason - if he misses then he has to try and get back before the other team scores. CORDOBA FRASER

I feel that it just has to be Cowie - given that he is the first choice dead ball taker. I wouldnt mind giving Marius another crack at it either - he was unlucky against Hibs and should have the experience and composure to assume the responsibility.

BTW, IMHO a goalkeeper should NEVER be the penalty taker (apart from in a penalty shoot-out) for the obvious reason - if he misses then he has to try and get back before the other team scores. CORDOBA FRASER

I agree Cowie looks like he can put the ball where he wants it to go, his freekick against Killie is still the stand out goal of season so far.

Guest backonthebrew

Surely the end of season  winner of the half-time Fly-Be competition should be signed and given the job of penalty taker :014: