FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cowie Reluctant To Commit To ICT

RiG

I think it was Callaghan with Rankin but he was merely trying to get the best contract / deal fer Rankin as everything behind the scenes had been agreed many months previous. I dont blame Cowie as he was on the receiving end of Brewster's arrogance last season, was played out of position on many occasions, was dropped for no apparent reason - apart from questioning Brew Almighty. We would have a better chance if Brew fecked off. Am I the only one that thinks that, given Cowies' potential that it would be worth getting him on board as we will probably make some spondoolachs in the long run - or perhaps that way of thinking is way past the level of the numpties in charge of the club.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Rankin and Wyness were represented by Simon Stainrods company.

Not sure Alex. I definitely recognise the name Callaghan from somewhere involving ICT and he caused a problem with a transfer before.

Or maybe it was Kevin Drinkells company I'm thinking about

getting sick of our club being used as a stepping stone  :008:

Sadly pretty much every club in Scotland aside from the Old Filth (to an extent) are used as a stepping stone.

sorry I didn't phrase that correctly in my rage, should've been:

I'm sick of us not getting money for players using us as a stepping stone ARRRRGGHHH  :008:

Guest birdog

He's just no happy with brew!

As soon as brew gives him a proper contract he should sign!

If I hated my boss I would actively seek employment elsewhere, wouldn't you?

He's just no happy with brew!

As soon as brew gives him a proper contract he should sign!

If I hated my boss I would actively seek employment elsewhere, wouldn't you?

If I was happy in a place I wouldn't.

Guest WynessLegend

so basically if he plays well he is off but if he doesn't get any better offers he'll sign

I'd sell him now and get someone else who will commit to a longer contract

It doesn't happen often - but I agree with you.

I'd give him a month to sort himself out and sign.

No contract signed by then and I'd let him rot in the under-19s.

If he's not prepared to show commitment to the club, the club should not show commitment to him.

It would send out a message to oter players and agents in a similar position.

If he did sign a new contract he'd still be able to leave, but we'd get a fee.

If he honestly feels no club would be happy to pay a decent fee for him I worry about his confidence.

Cowie's not doing anything wrong, so why put him in the under-19s.  ICT said 'we want you for two years. Maybe longer but we're not going to commit to that.'  Cowie agreed to that condition.  He's not leaving voluntarily before his contract is up.  He showed the commitment he was asked for.  Personally, I feel a club should do their homework.  If they think that a player has a real good chance of making it, then a longer contract.  If they won't risk the money, then the player is entitled to say he'll be here for as long as his contract.  Not necessarily any longer.

Cowie's not doing anything wrong, so why put him in the under-19s.  ICT said 'we want you for two years. Maybe longer but we're not going to commit to that.'  Cowie agreed to that condition.  He's not leaving voluntarily before his contract is up.  He showed the commitment he was asked for.  Personally, I feel a club should do their homework.  If they think that a player has a real good chance of making it, then a longer contract.  If they won't risk the money, then the player is entitled to say he'll be here for as long as his contract.  Not necessarily any longer.

Maybe it was the other way around. Cowie may have been offered longer but he chose the shorter terms.

If he's not prepared to show commitment to the club, the club should not show commitment to him.

Cowie would be fully committed to ICT right up until his contract runs out. There is nothing wrong with him wanting to take the next step up in his career if he feels ready for it and doesn't want to remain at ICT. He wouldn't suddenly stop trying in any game he played in. He would still play his heart out up until he leaves (in a hypothetical scenario with us) like he did with County the other season.

Guest Spectre

I'm sure the club are very "committed" to Cowie at a level of pay materially below what he could get elsewhere.  Most employers love employees who are worth a lot more than they are actually paid.

Cowie was our top scorer in the league last year, in fact was (I think) the top scoring SPL midfielder if you take away Barry Robson's penalties.  So I think he's quite in order to expect a bit more cash.

Once we've driven out or humiliated our best players (Rankin, Niculae, Black, Cowie for a start), what are we left with?

You can never blame any player, generally, for wishing to further their career and no good club should ever stand in anyone's way. We have never been an exception to that rule, in my opinion.

Don Cowie, as Rig has correctly stated will be as committed to the cause as much as anyone.

Football is such an oddball emotive "business" to be in, fans can be unfairly sensitive or critical towards players who manage, for whatever reason, to end up in the press for transfer/ contract talk.   

Keep up the good work Don!

Guest birdog

I hope he is angling for a better deal (never accept the first offer in any situation which can be negotiated) and I hope he gets the deal which he has undoubtedly earned.

Pull the finger out guys and get our core squad signed  up for as long as possible, please.

Cowie would be fully committed to ICT right up until his contract runs out. There is nothing wrong with him wanting to take the next step up in his career if he feels ready for it and doesn't want to remain at ICT. He wouldn't suddenly stop trying in any game he played in. He would still play his heart out up until he leaves (in a hypothetical scenario with us) like he did with County the other season.

Thats not the point.

Point is 1 minute he says he wants to stay and extend his stay, the next minute he considers heading to Easter Road or Pittodrie.

Thats not the point.

Point is 1 minute he says he wants to stay and extend his stay, the next minute he considers heading to Easter Road or Pittodrie.

He hasn't said this at all.

Guest Spectre

"I want to extend my contract"

actually means

I am not being paid what I am worth under my existing contract and I will agree to extend it if you increase my pay to what I am actually worth.

This is because of the nature of football contracts they can't just go into the boss (as the rest of us can) and ask for more money on the same contract.

He hasn't said this at all.

I'm not saying HE is considering move to either of those places.

But those are the only teams intrested in him right now.

And if u mean the extending his say part then yes he did. He gave an interview in the courier about 2 months ago saying he wasn't intrested in doing anything other than staying at Caley.

Edited by ajsict92

There has been no definite contact from other teams regarding Cowie, its all rumour, Cowie is looking for a contract extension and is rightly trying to get the best deal possible, his agent will have proposed that Don comes out with that kind of statement to put the sh1ts up the management.

I think he does like it here and will stay..... with the right contract.

What he actually said was he's happy where he is at the moment. He also said he's flattered by the reported interest from other clubs but intends to see out his contract at ICT.

If he believes in himself enough and there's good affers out there then he'll move. Thats ambition. His latest statement was that he is not ready at the moment to discuss contract extensions.

All fair comment in my opinion but nothing he's said so far tells me he intends to move on.