Kilmarnock -V- ICT : matchday thread

Scotty

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll get my one and only negative point out of the way first....why were we so heavily weighted with forwards on the bench? No need to have Rooney, Barrowman and McAllister there and one more defensive player might have given us an option to tighten up a little more towards the end....someone like Duff!!!

OK, so it's not really a huge negative and there's a good argument for attack being the best form of defence and all in all I have to say that I think we got things pretty much spot on for todays game. Hard to say whether or not we were playing counter attack football for the first hour or so as we seemed to be very much in the ascendancy and sounding like we were doing a lot of pushing for goal.

Cringed a bit when the referee started dishing out yellow cards early on for incidents which would have been dealt with by way of a verbal warning by most refs and Black isn't the kind of player you like to be shackled with a card at that stage in a game.

Sounded like we were creating decent chances and a little more composure might have got us another couple, but that's something we have to accept at the moment as we don't have the experience within the squad to rectify.

Thought the subs were about right, both in terms of the changes and the timing. Black was on a yellow already and had to be suffering a bit from that knock he took in the first half, so made sense to protect him on both accounts. Killie had started to come at us a bit more which was reducing opportunities for Wood, so makes sense to hook him when on a card to protect him too.

Most of all they lads were out there fighting hard for the win. Killie obviously came out in the second half wanting to get physical and mix things up and I think it was Imrie who was first to respond with a couple of crunching challenges to show them that we were also capable of playing that kind of game.

Good result and sounded like a great display.

Just back from the game, terrific first half but Killie came storming back after the break and the second half was a bit more nerve-wracking. Everyone in midfield was terrific, not impressed subbing Barrowman and not Rooney for Wood, but we survived the late goal and penalty and so all is well with the world. :rotflmao:

The numbers of supporters on both side was terrible. Where was everyone? There must have been about a hundred of us and half the Killie stands were empty as well. Well done to AttackMan for his constant chanting, he was driving the Killie fans mad. :thumb04:

And a good word for the Stewards. Very nice, chatted before the game about Tokely, Wilson and Black ("a bit wild" - came back after the yellow to say "told you!") and predicted Barrowman would score. Makes such a change from the normal fascists.

Edited by alimci

A very satisfying day indeed.

Had my first flutter on the football since September and won.

ICT to win 2-1 with Imrie to score @ 80/1 - weeing myself when they got the penalty though. :rotflmao:

(maybe I should have a punt on the lotto??? :thumb04:

.... and I just found out I got most points on 'Gringos NPL' too...

(such a shame I didn't make the game today, hey Gringo_Snr)

Just back too. That's 2 good performances in the space of 4 games. I missed the two home ones but saw the two away wins. If they could perform like that most weeks nobody would be moaning.

What a great game of football, almost worth having to pay Naelifts in. Kept it on the deck too. I've given Woody and Imrie a fair bit of stick this season so only fair to give them some credit this week, with Imrie a contender for MoM. Bambi did a good job too helped by the fact that Killie weren't employing the Luftwaffe like some teams this season.

Fair play to Killie, ?20 for the main stand.

For the Hibs result I would have said that the players did it despite Brewster, after getting hammered at Ibrox, but today I just wouldn't know where to start. Certainly buys him a bit more time.

Edited by The Mantis

Haha watching the game now... Killie fans "Ian Black your a wan**r". Poor Killie don't know class when they see it!

Killie boy said after the match that we had 89 fans.

I find that worrying not just from a Caley point but an SPL point. If the crowds dwindle dramatically then who knows what might happen outside of the OF

Haha watching the game now... Killie fans "Ian Black your a wan**r". Poor Killie don't know class when they see it!

Killie boy said after the match that we had 89 fans.

I find that worrying not just from a Caley point but an SPL point. If the crowds dwindle dramatically then who knows what might happen outside of the OF

It was quite funny. The Killie lad was mouthing off and Black just started having a go at him saying stuff like "rather win with 89 fans then lose with thousands"

And the results from the Maryhill jury...

Great game of football for the neutral - it's been a while since I spent the last 10 mins doing the "can we hang on?" jack-in-the-box routine. But over the piece we deserved it, although if Killie had scored the penalty there would have been harsh questions asked about our players farting about and being far too casual when they had several chances to nail Killie on the break in the second half.

The midfield was excellent and this was where the game was won. Imrie was up for it from the start, beat a lot of players and got the ball into numerous dangerous positions; Vigurs again showed composure and the ability to see passes and also made a few decent runs; Duncan closed down well and didn't give it away too often; Blackie had a quieter game than usual but didn't get drawn into situations where he was likely to get sent off after being booked in the first minute; Cowie worked hard and was one of our most dangerous players in the second half, although I think his natural strengths are beng sacrificed by Brewster to allow Imrie to play wide right.

The defence also played well, although Tokely struggled badly against Taouil until he was moved up front. Proctor was better in the air than I remember him being and Granty avoided too many long balls. Esson was excellent - it's been a good move to get him in. The forward line, on the other hand, is definitely still an issue. Wood worked really hard and held the ball up well, but never really got into any threatening positions: his goal, from where I was sitting, was a bit of a freak and more down to the the keeper than good finishing. On the other hand, Barrowman, when he came on, did nothing except get caught offside. For a player whose only strength seems to be hanging around and playing the last man, that is unforgiveable. I have no idea why Rooney wasn't given his chance.

Choice of striker aside, I can't criticise Brew for his team selection today, nor can I criticise the players for their effort, apart from a too-casual approach in the last fifteen minutes. At the same time, today suggests that the SPL is simply full of mediocre teams and that some teams' approaches just play into the hands of other teams. Whatever they were trying to do may work against other sides, but today Killie just allowed players like Imrie and Vigurs space to create and they were punished for it. If they had been more aggressive and closed down earlier, both these players might have got frustrated and we might have been on the end of another defeat.

As for the rest of the season... my asscrack is good n' splintered from sitting on the fence over Brewster's fitness to manage the team, and after today?

...I'm still perched on the fence, still picking out pine.

Edited by alternative maryhill

We were really good today. We took the game to Killie in the first half and passed them off the park in their own half. The midfield five were excellent, especially Vigurs who sat deep and pulled the strings - i don't think he gave the ball away once. Kilmarnock changed things after an hour, started to get on top of us and Esson had to make a couple of good saves. But even then we were just as dangerous on the break - Wood had a header saved from an Imrie cross and Roy should've sealed it at the end.

I'm very happy. Think i'll lay off Brewster for while.

did U watch the game on bbc Alba last night?

It looked a good game!

Recorded it, just watched it and enjoyed it, especially the first half. I'm sure the commentary was good to!!.

Played football on the ground and what a difference that made (can we do this at home as well please).

Dodgy last 10 minutes though.

Killies Taoill gave Tokes a good workout and then they rubbed it in when Gibson came on. That is Tokes on 7 yellow cards from league matches alone, will he miss next week I wonder?. Enjoyed watching Hastings give Imrie a roasting for a needless penalty, he obviously saw his win bonus flying out the window, V.Poor penalty saved the bacon and the bonus.

Just seen the highlights. Barrowman was clearly onside when he 'scored'.....which, had it been given, would've spared us the nailbiting end!

Good thread going on KillieKickback regarding Blackies booking.......seems he was very unfairly treated for having a bit of banter with the home fans?

Do you mean avatar.

It's a noun

Hindu Mythology. the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god.

or

an embodiment or personification, as of a principle, attitude, or view of life.

or

Computers. a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.

your avatar looks like a groik in an ICT away top.

Barrowman looked a good yard onside for his disallowed effort :rotflmao:

Absolute shocker of a decision. Clearly onside.

Thought the penalty was very soft too. Imrie was just stronger than the Killie player.