FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

IBM Transport

I remember the Ordnance but not that filling station.

Roddy Macdonald built flats on it about the same time he built more across the road on the site of the old County Garage on Montague Row.  The cars are Morris Minor, Humber Super Snipe pulling out, Ausitn A40 van top, Morris Minor van at pumps, Ford Popular at pumps, 2 other I cant see properly and along the front Riley RMA, Morris Minor and Austin A30.  The date on the photo should be 1950's as the earliest vehicle was late forties!

Roddy Macdonald built flats on it about the same time he built more across the road on the site of the old County Garage on Montague Row.  The cars are Morris Minor, Humber Super Snipe pulling out, Ausitn A40 van top, Morris Minor van at pumps, Ford Popular at pumps, 2 other I cant see properly and along the front Riley RMA, Morris Minor and Austin A30.  The date on the photo should be 1950's as the earliest vehicle was late forties!

I'm interested in that rather more scientific appraisal of the likely date than, because I'm no expert on cars, the vague thought that went through my mind that the general ambience of the photo seems later than the 30s. On the other hand, now that IBM has flagged up the cars, I can see that icon of the 50s the Morris Minor right in front of my nose which should have given me a pretty good clue, had I looked more closely.

I'm interested in that rather more scientific appraisal of the likely date than, because I'm no expert on cars, the vague thought that went through my mind that the general ambience of the photo seems later than the 30s. On the other hand, now that IBM has flagged up the cars, I can see that icon of the 50s the Morris Minor right in front of my nose which should have given me a pretty good clue, had I looked more closely.

:wink: Where else did Roddy Macdonald build flats in the town?

:wink: Where else did Roddy Macdonald build flats in the town?

I'm afraid I don't know a Roddy MacDonald although I'm sure Inverness has had several!

Known locally as Rod the Rustler but that's not a story for IBM Transport!  He built the flats on the site of the old Shell filling station on Millburn Road, the 2 blocks at the south end of Shore Street and latterly the flats at the old Tarka Controls.

Thank you chentlemen of the chury. . Appreciated. Now I remember Tomnahurich Street.  Also led up to the  cemetery didn't it?

The cadavers lay in regal splendor.

Some of them expired because they had been on a bender.

Some from vital wounds that turned very tender.

And lastly, some due to the fact that they were the last big spender.

IHE will enjoy this little caper

Cos he aint got much to do but read the paper

Accompanied by a cup of Horlicks too

Now he's looking up and sending his wishes :wave:

To stave off the thought that he now has to do the dishes 

'Cos it's his caring wife's strong wishes

But who cares a tuppeny toss 'cos he's still deluded to think he's still  the boss. Hoch! Hoch! :notworthy:

Add yer prose to this little ditty and IHE will really be chuffed and sitting pretty. :smile:  :ictscarf:

The picture will be early 50's, Ferries were the Standard Triumph dealer without Citroen when I moved into town but they were further out at what is now Farm & Household.  That garage with the Triumph Mayflower outside and the Standard Vanguard in the showroom is now the Cinnamon Restaurant and that's the Cameron Highlanders marching into town in front of the Albion lorry! 

Back row Renault? Rover 2000, Triumph 2000, Vauxhall Victor FB, Bedford HA van, Vauxhall Victor & Ford Anglia.  Bedford dormobile, Front corner of Hillman Super Minx, Ford Anglia van, Ford Cortina Mk2 & Morris Minoe Estate.  The bus is entering the bus station from Strothers Lane & the car park is beside the old Railway Club.

A few I don't know, going clockwise Humber Super Snipe entering the square, Ford Zepher, Austin A70, Citroen 15-1, 2 Austin Taxi's, Austin A40 coming round top, Ford Prefect in front of station, Vauxhall Cresta in corner, 3rd in from right Volvo 544 (I think) and at the front Austin A30 & Morris Minor.

No chance of me missing the final the cars can wait until next week :wink:    

Snap again!  Edward Mackay's Albion, that's him with the white shirt & tie, Lotus Elan, Austin 7, Riley RMA 2.5 litre drophead coupe (the last before being taken over by BMC), Austin 7 van.  I think the motorbike is a Triumph, don't know the tractor or the older car.

post-3683-0-01155400-1433451519_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...