FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gutted for the Aussies

Gringo

Couldn't help feeling gutted for the Australia yesterday - going out to a 93rd minute penalty from a dirty cheating Italian. The Roo's deserved better than that having had the better of the match. Unfortunately they couldn't break the Italian defence down and lacked that cutting edge up front.

:009:

Guest Bonzo

They were very unlucky ... and it certainly didn't look like a penalty.

But, I'm still glad to see the back of them.

The Aussies do to well at too many sports already without them trying to dominate football as well. (That, and Craig Moore).

Bad enough having to get up at 1am to watch it - but to wait to 3am for the Ref to give that penalty was a bit much.

No excuses though, we should have pressed our advantage earlier and the Italian bloke's send off was an embarassing gaff from the ref.

The worst thing about it is was watching Sky News UK and them saying that the English were feeling sorry for us!!

I can take a bad ref decision.

I can handle having my heart broken in the 95th minute.

But I cannot handle the English feeling sorry for us.

Very good effort by our blokes, we never in a million years expected to reach round 2 - so well done that team!!1

Gabby

Guest kingkojak

They were very unlucky ... and it certainly didn't look like a penalty.

But, I'm still glad to see the back of them.

The Aussies do to well at too many sports already without them trying to dominate football as well. (That, and Craig Moore).

have to disagree bonzo!  the USA are much worse.

those war mongering feckers can take their 'Team USA' and feck off back home to their soccer moms. 

lets feckin hope they never become a significant footballing power cos they feckers will take over and rename it soccer and replace pehs and bovril with hotdogs and coca cola at halftime! 

Guest Jock Watt

Bad enough having to get up at 1am to watch it - but to wait to 3am for the Ref to give that penalty was a bit much.

No excuses though, we should have pressed our advantage earlier and the Italian bloke's send off was an embarassing gaff from the ref.

The worst thing about it is was watching Sky News UK and them saying that the English were feeling sorry for us!!

I can take a bad ref decision.

I can handle having my heart broken in the 95th minute.

But I cannot handle the English feeling sorry for us.

Very good effort by our blokes, we never in a million years expected to reach round 2 - so well done that team!!1

Gabby

Exactly what I would have said myself, Gabby!  I can't remember when I last felt so disappointed.  But, really, against ten men, they should have wrapped it up long before the end.

I also feel obliged to say that I've never thought that Kewell was much of a player!  His equalising goal against Croatia I could have put in - he was, what? about 2 yards from the goal-line.  And our centre-forward (or should I say "Striker") - 4 games and not one goal !!

Our problem has always been the absence of a goalscorer!

Och well, at least we got to the last 32 and roll on 2010!!

Jock.

Big England cricket and rugby fan too then? Tory voter too I suspect. You know you'd probably get more (some) respect if you came out and admitted you were english!  :015: