FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

[merged] Main Stand To Be Renamed

kencar

Guest Muir-Jaggie

I'm not one for naming stands after people (what happens when you run out and the next "fitting" person passes?), and it also does away with the possibility of generating revenue through sponsorship....however, if it's to be named then I doubt many would argue with it being done to mark the contribution of Jock McDonald.

Eddie Thomson and Phil O'Donnell both got stands named after them

I'm not one for naming stands after people (what happens when you run out and the next "fitting" person passes?), and it also does away with the possibility of generating revenue through sponsorship....however, if it's to be named then I doubt many would argue with it being done to mark the contribution of Jock McDonald.

Norrie McCarthie Stand

Disagree somewhat CD .... The stadium can be named for sponsorship, you could even name certain sections of the stands for commercial reasons but I always think the actual stand as a whole, as printed on the tickets etc should be named in honour of something or someone rather than sold to the highest bidder.

There will always be arguments about who you name them after or who is more worthy than someone else, or whether you rename a stand a few years down the line ... and as we both said, there are usually only a maximum of 4 unless you have upper tiers and all that stuff so you have to be careful.

To my mind, people will always remember former managers or players as their stats will be there forever so they should not be named after them ... but there are those who have an equally big impact on the club in various ways who could easily be forgotten as the decades pass and it would be fitting to consider them for this honour.

The choice of Jock McDonald's name on the main stand will meet with almost universal approval I believe, and as we are a young club, there are others in our short history who might be equally worthy of consideration - Norman Miller and David Sutherland (at some point in the distant future) are the obvious ones who spring to mind ... but who knows what person may arrive at the club in the future and have a similar impact as any of these three.

I would still like to see Norman Miller recognised in a similar fashion but maybe that is sentiment ..... For now I will be happy that the club have made a very positive decision on the main stand, one that has met with widespread approval, and one that their PR bicycle has effectively distributed to the mainstream media on this occasion.

Norrie McCarthie Stand

Dundee Utd are running out of names .... they have the Eddie Thompson stand, the Jerry Kerr stand and the George Fox stand. The only un-named part (now that the fair play stand is officially part of the main stand - i think) is the West Stand and you would have to imagine that this might be reserved for Jim McLean's name at some point in the future !!!

Scottish television's line is that Sutherland says that the supporters wholeheartedly back the proposal.

What are your thoughts -

http://sport.stv.tv/football/88521-caley-a...donald-tribute/

Is it a fitting tribute?

Its a very fitting tribute and David Sutherland was right. The supporters do wholeheartedly back the proposal. It was debated on this site for boardroom banter and Jock was the popular suggestion at the time. Nice to see the club taking onboard the suggestions of the support

So the main stand in now the Jock McDonald stand, the family enclosure within the North Stand (not the whole stand) is called the Kevin Bissett Family Enclosure.

I would personally like to see the complete North Stand named for Norman Miller and maybe reserve the naming of the South Stand and any future west stand (unlikely I know) for other prominent people who have had a huge impact on ICT history (eg. DJS in some far distant time in the future). We only have 3 stands and a maximum of 4 so we have to be careful not to let sentiment get in the way but without JM and NM we might not have got as far as we have so far.

fixed it for ya scotty!!