FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wimbledon 2009

Johnboy

Just watched another stunning victory today for Andy Murray.

To me, it was kind of divided crowd.... There were plenty of Scottish flags and painted St Andrews Cross faces in the crowd, cheering on Andy for all they were worth. I found it hard to accept all the same, all the eejits who were draped in union jacks, with St George's Cross painted faces, cheering just as loudly for Andy.

They just don't seem to realise that Scotland is a country in it's own right - it's not an English county somewhere up around the Lake District....ok - for the time being it's a part of the union... but some of these St George's Cross clad supporters of English tennis should try and come to terms with the fact that Andy's SCOTTISH - not english.

Perhaps you're being unkind Johnboy.

The way I see it, these tennis fans are unhindered by your petty prejudices and in the absence of an English representative at these later stages of the tournament are lending their full support to the boy from their neighbouring nation across the border.

And of course he is the only remaining BRITISH player in the tournament so they are quite rightly supporting him, just as you and me supported Tim Henman in years gone by!

:D

Guest birdog

Just watched another stunning victory today for Andy Murray.

To me, it was kind of divided crowd.... There were plenty of Scottish flags and painted St Andrews Cross faces in the crowd, cheering on Andy for all they were worth. I found it hard to accept all the same, all the eejits who were draped in union jacks, with St George's Cross painted faces, cheering just as loudly for Andy.

They just don't seem to realise that Scotland is a country in it's own right - it's not an English county somewhere up around the Lake District....ok - for the time being it's a part of the union... but some of these St George's Cross clad supporters of English tennis should try and come to terms with the fact that Andy's SCOTTISH - not english.

I thought that he was a good Scotsman too but I posted this in another thread, he just wants to suck up to the crowd. Feck him, he's turned like Andy Gray and Alan Hansen and that Bob fecker that used to be a goalkeeper that I can't remember his surname now.

I caught an interview with him on the TV this week sometime and he was sounding like a true Anglophile, claiming that comments of his when he was interviewed a few years ago and said he would support anyone playing England in the World Cup were taken out of context and it was just a wee bit of banter. Sucking up to the masses on "Murray Mound" hope he get fecked out in the first round.

The way I see it, these tennis fans are unhindered by your petty prejudices and in the absence of an English representative at these later stages of the tournament are lending their full support to the boy from their neighbouring nation across the border.

And of course he is the only remaining BRITISH player in the tournament so they are quite rightly supporting him, just as you and me supported Tim Henman in years gone by!

:D

I did support Tim Henman a few years ago, but I never went down there waving Scottish flags all over the place.

I don't have a problem with the English support for Murray either - just wished they could understand the difference between a Scottish flag and an English flag.

I thought that he was a good Scotsman too but I posted this in another thread, he just wants to suck up to the crowd. Feck him, he's turned like Andy Gray and Alan Hansen and that Bob fecker that used to be a goalkeeper that I can't remember his surname now.

With respect Birdog, I think he's a wee bit more Scottish than that Bob fecker you refer to!

That was Bob Wilson who played for Arsenal about 100 years ago... He was about as Scottish as Greg Rudeski was English!

Guest birdog

With respect Birdog, I think he's a wee bit more Scottish than that Bob fecker you refer to!

That was Bob Wilson who played for Arsenal about 100 years ago... He was about as Scottish as Greg Rudeski was English!

I was just making a point, you could well be correct, but I thought he was born in England of Scottish parentage. I have cousins born in Engerland who are more Scottish than me. It's irrelevant anyway, Murray has turned, that's the main point.

I was just making a point, you could well be correct, but I thought he was born in England of Scottish parentage. I have cousins born in Engerland who are more Scottish than me. It's irrelevant anyway, Murray has turned, that's the main point.

I bit like Rod Stewart then?