Morton -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am a happy bunny tonight. Well done lads. Dont care if Sanchez is lazy....as long as he keep up his 2 in 3 (or whatever it is) strike rate :lol:

:lol: oh hes sooo Lazy!! he scored 3 but one was off side... can you imagen how good he would be if he wasnt so lazy hahaha Sanchez lazy... my arse!!!

Good result and a welcome 3 points but let's not get carried away Morton are gash

my thoughts entirely ..... its doom and gloom after a loss and we are worldbeaters after a win ...... realistically, we can and did win this comfortably and County (who have put together a decent side regardless of what we would like to think) now sit top

By my early reckoning that puts us 3rd, 2 behind leaders County, (now there's two words you dont see side by side often) and Raith. Raith have been lucky so far, and we will beat them, but I have a feeling County might be the team to beat this season. Funny game etc etc

4th looking again. I goal behind QOS. *shakes fist at Wilson*

Edited by gordyfromsneck

Given it was well over a year since we last won 3-0 in the league i'am delighted. Sanchez and Foran both getting goals is great and this will surely give confidence to the side.

Just back from a lovely day in the Inverclyde sunshine, and fair to say we dominated without ever playing as well as everybody might want.

Solid at the back, with Esson shouting himself hoarse, Munro and Golly mopping up everything coming their way. The defence looks like a unit without Lionel's unpredictability.

Midfield was sound - Stratford again playing the Duncan role, but with better passing; Cox was low key in comparison to Dundee and Partick - probably due to his cast removal!; still not sure about Eagle - he was getting stuck in, and crossing was pretty good, but prone to going missing; Hayes looked a world beater in first half, but went off the boil in the second half until the last 10 minutes. Great to see a Caley player having a go, and not turning back when hitting the bye-line.

Foran's goal was excellent, but can't help thinking he gets distracted when things are not going well. Worked hard and linked up well with MOM Sanchez - so much for lazy and lightweight - scored a well worked goal, and showed some great touches. His finish for the offside goal was excellent, and linked up with Foran effectively. Obviously, gaining match fitness, and 3 in 4 games is almost unheard off for us in the last few years!

Proctor came on for Eagle, and took his goal well, but don't remember anything else about his afternoon apart from chatting with the ball boys! Barrowman on for last 5 minutes, and looked OK - still think he'll come good in this division against the slower defences. Rooney got the last 90 seconds, either as time wasting or to allow Foran to get a round of applause.

Crowd was not bad, but quiet; Mass booing from the home fans at the end of the game, and quite rightly so - Morton were rank rotten.

Overall, very satisfactory and signs of an improving team - after the last league game, back to normal away day service. Hopefully another 3 points at Airdire next week will set us up for a challenge at the top. Have to say, it's great just to be watching a team playing football and winning again - it's been a bloody long time!

That is one of the easiest wins I have seen in a long time. We never needed to get into top gear and strolled through it. I think Morton are going to be getting relegated this season if they keep playing like that. It was a good performance from us and it is brilliant to score 3 goals away from home no matter who you are playing against. Their is definetly room for improvement but as long as we keep winning its all ok

Esson - Made one good save in the first half and didnt have much else to do but when he was called into action he looked very solid

Tokely - Good performance. He didnt seem to want to jump to try and win headers in the second half and their No 10 was winning everything against him. I find that very weird because if he did throw himself about abit Tokley would win the ball more often than not

Bulvitis - Played well but he tries to do everything too quickly if he slows things down he will be a very good player. He wins a hell of a lot tackles cleanly which is obviously what you want from a CB

Munro - Wasnt spectacular but was solid

Golly - He might not have the armband but he is the captain. He is the one telling everyone what to do and where to mark. He looked a bit shaky untill he got a knock to his head and played very well from their on in. So far it looks like he is going to be a great signing. Though I do miss the tension of wondering what the hell Lionel is going to do when he gets the ball. Everything seems to be calm which is actually very good for us

Eagle - Did ok. He is nowhere near as good as Hayes and I think that is what is making me undecided about him. When you see what Hayes does you want Eagle to do the same thing but he dosent. Imrie will replace him when he is back from injury

Stratford - A solid display. Didnt do anything that caught the eye but didnt seem to make any mistakes

Cox - A quiet game for him considering the standards he has set in the games so far. He still played well and is going strong for us. He doesnt look the same without the cast

Hayes - He just seems to run and run and run. He can cross the ball very well in all. He is going to be a massive player for us

Sanchez - Works his balls off today. Lots of nice touches and layoffs and took his goal very well. He scored a brilliant goal before it was 1-0 but was offside. My Man of the Match

Foran - He was miles better than the Morton defence. He was stronger and had more pace. The only problem was the defence we playing too many long high balls to him and he was not as effective trying to win the headers. He took his goal very well and he showed that if he gets the proper service he will get 20 goals this season.

Proctor - Scored a good goal but didnt do much else

Barrowman - Didnt really have enough time on the park

Rooney - Same as above

Oh and I forgot to add what the hell was the crack with Mortons Directors at the game. They were the ones shouting abuse at our away fans, I expect that from the normal fans but not from the directors

Edited by jaggie1994

Good result and a welcome 3 points but let's not get carried away Morton are gash

my thoughts entirely ..... its doom and gloom after a loss and we are worldbeaters after a win ......

That's football for you Scotty boy, a rollercoaster of emotions, most "old style" fans know this but the new age fans refuse to enjoy this, for me one of the most important parts of being a fan, preferring to stifle all emotions and cruise along.

EDIT- Morton are gash but it's great to see the team banging in three in the league.

Edited by birdog

Have to agree with the other two posters - Morton were a big physical team and just resisted everything but Dani's goal just knocked the stuffing out of them when they thought they had made it to half time.

We didn't look too convincing at times, but I said before - we're not going down, so I'm gonna enjoy the season and hope we can show improvement and challenge for the title.

I was very encouraged by our performance yesterday. Morton looked short of confidence and inspiration, but we still had to beat what was in front of us and we did so easily, controlling the game pretty much throughout. What was most pleasing was seeing the understanding that is beginning to develop between the players and seeing the strengths of some of the new players manifesting themselves more fully. Sanchez was the most obvious example of this: yesterday again we witnessed his ability to drop off his marker and create space in the box and for the third away game on the trot he bagged himself a goal by doing this. As well as this, however, yesterday he showed how well he can drop off the main striker into the "hole" and pick out passes that release the player ahead of him. He did this for Foran on two or three occasions, and Foran could have had couple more goals if he had held the line a bit better. On the evidence of the last few weeks, this idea about Sanchez being lazy is a myth, and I think he could turn out to be a very important player for us this season. Hayes was also excellent, despite a quieter spell early on in the second half. As Arbroathawayday pointed out, it's great to once again have a winger with pace who can hit the bye-line and cut the ball back. The other standout players for me were Munro and Golabek. After all the concerns that were expressed about the wisdom of resigning Golabek, it is beginning to look like an inspired piece of business. True, neither Partick nor Morton were particularly dangerous going forward, but Golly has added an authority and assurance to the defence that simply wasn't there when Lionel was in the team. Munro again didn't put a foot wrong defensively, and the desperate punts forward that he resorted to for most of the last two seasons seem to have disappeared from his game. Bulivitis again demonstrated his strength in the tackle and in the air, but I still feel that he is prone to getting pulled out of position occasionally, and I think this will probably cost us a goal or two over the season against teams with trickier forwards.

I don't mean to overdo the praise - Morton, after all, were poor and our performance was by no means total football - but I went yesterday looking for causes for optimism for the season and I think I found a few. If the team takes the same approach at Airdrie next week then we should have another enjoyable game and hopefully another win.

Happy with the 3 points, after a much improved performance. Not spectacular but steady.

Golly looked good at left back, perhaps his movement out of defence could do with some tweaking as could his passes from the back (seem the remember 2 or 3 just going straight out of the stadium). Bulvitis was a big plus for me, looked calm, strong and composed for most of the match. Munro and Roscoe has their usual rock solid performances.

Eagles had a slightly better game, he was just out of touch in a few instances, and perhaps not quite blended in with the rest of the team as of yet (see golly running full pelt and making a great run into the box on the angle, only for the ball to be played over the top and to the back post). Cox was efficient, although the referee meant he couldn't unleash any hard challenges. Stratford was very good, in my eyes a contender for M.O.M, playing almost like a second Dani Sanchez when he gets forward, and was unlucky not to score a tremendous bending free-kick.

Hayes takes my M.O.M, created two of the goals and was excellent at taking his man on and beating him. Several occasions in the first half he played in a perfect ball to the edge of the 6-yard box but no-one had made a run. Seems to have boundless energy, and 'fight for the cause'.

Up front, Foran and Sanchez were working well together again, little balls in and around the box almost coming off. Sanchez really seems to have found his form, he does extremely well to drop off so many times from the defenders and win the high balls. Foran was impeccable, but does seem to perhaps have a problem with the fans (??), the only one there not to recognise the around 150-200 who had made the journey. Maybe I missed it.

Happy with the 3 points, after a much improved performance. Not spectacular but steady.

Golly looked good at left back, perhaps his movement out of defence could do with some tweaking as could his passes from the back (seem the remember 2 or 3 just going straight out of the stadium). Bulvitis was a big plus for me, looked calm, strong and composed for most of the match. Munro and Roscoe has their usual rock solid performances.

Eagles had a slightly better game, he was just out of touch in a few instances, and perhaps not quite blended in with the rest of the team as of yet (see golly running full pelt and making a great run into the box on the angle, only for the ball to be played over the top and to the back post). Cox was efficient, although the referee meant he couldn't unleash any hard challenges. Stratford was very good, in my eyes a contender for M.O.M, playing almost like a second Dani Sanchez when he gets forward, and was unlucky not to score a tremendous bending free-kick.

Hayes takes my M.O.M, created two of the goals and was excellent at taking his man on and beating him. Several occasions in the first half he played in a perfect ball to the edge of the 6-yard box but no-one had made a run. Seems to have boundless energy, and 'fight for the cause'.

Up front, Foran and Sanchez were working well together again, little balls in and around the box almost coming off. Sanchez really seems to have found his form, he does extremely well to drop off so many times from the defenders and win the high balls. Foran was impeccable, but does seem to perhaps have a problem with the fans (??), the only one there not to recognise the around 150-200 who had made the journey. Maybe I missed it.

I saw Foarn clapping towards the fans as the team came out onto the pitch at the start of the game and he did the same when he cam off the pitch I think. He didnt do anything at half time but if that was the only thing you were worried about at the match I think we are doing pretty well

Has anyone else ever wondered how well Hayes would do sitting just behind the front two?

Not too well I would expect, football is more of a running game, if he were to sit whilst competing in a motor race or a sport involving horses he may have more of a chance of success.

Has anyone else ever wondered how well Hayes would do sitting just behind the front two?

I dont think he would do that well in thier. His biggest strenght is his pace so I reckon it would be a complete waste to have him behind the 2 strikers where he would not be able to run at defenders as often as he would on the wing.

He is also very good at crossing so for me he should be out on the wing everytime