FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Great goal by France against Ireland

culduthel

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do feel sorry for the Irish, and it would be heartbreaking for them to lose a goal in the fashion. But as has been stated before, these things happen in fitba, and there's absolutely no chance the game will be replayed.

Those saying Henry should of admitted to the ref right after it.. Bullsh*t. Why risk the chance of throwing away a hard fought 2 leg victory for your team, who had arguably been outplayed in Paris, especially amidst all the celebrations of the French fans and players?

If James McFadden had done it he'd be declared a Hero by most on here.

Gutted. Really gutted. Oh what i would have done to see the Irish Quailify then pump the English.

Guess who my big team is? Tiocfaidh ar la.

Probably Scotland. I would imagine most Scots would want to see that. I certainly would. No Celtic connection for me (quite the opposite in my family's case).

Actually I don't think he would have.

Oirish calls for replay rejected CLICK

Cheating is ok. Steal what you can. It's the authorities fault for not catching you.

It's this 'professionalism' that turns so many off 'sport'.

I posted on P&B that I think if the rules were changed to reflect the consequences of this level of cheating then perhaps there would be a lesser chance of things like this happening. At the moment if a goal scoring opportunity is prevented by the use of foul play then a straight red card is issued, if this attitude was adopted for creating a goal scoring opportunity through handball or simulation, for example, then perhaps some of these situations would be avoided. There will always be players who take the risk but it would even out the risk/reward situation.

Spot on. Although, I expect the response from the Neanderthals on P&B was:

"that's p!$%" - with no further reasoning.

Correct!!

As was Joe Jordan when he won a penalty for Scotland against Wales which took us to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina.

He went up with a defender for a high ball in the box, handling it in the process. The ref thought the defender had handled and awarded the pen....

Joe to his credit, just kept quiet about it, and Don Masson slotted the penalty home. Wales 0 - Scotland 1.

Happy days!

Exactly, The French would have gone mental if Henry had said to the ref he handled it, the goal chopped off, and Oireland end up winning the game.

These things happen, and I don't blame Henry, it is the officials at fault for not spotting the handball.

Actually I don't think he would have.

Oirish calls for replay rejected CLICK

Cheating is ok. Steal what you can. It's the authorities fault for not catching you.

It's this 'professionalism' that turns so many off 'sport'.

I posted on P&B that I think if the rules were changed to reflect the consequences of this level of cheating then perhaps there would be a lesser chance of things like this happening. At the moment if a goal scoring opportunity is prevented by the use of foul play then a straight red card is issued, if this attitude was adopted for creating a goal scoring opportunity through handball or simulation, for example, then perhaps some of these situations would be avoided. There will always be players who take the risk but it would even out the risk/reward situation.

Spot on. Although, I expect the response from the Neanderthals on P&B was:

"that's p!$%" - with no further reasoning.

Don't get me wrong Starchief, I am of the opinion the match should not be replayed, I also think that even if the rules were changed to reflect the consequences that Henry would have done the same thing. It looked to me that the initial handball was a reflex but the second, controlling of the ball, was a case of "might as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb" I do believe, however, that if it was a straight red for creating a goal scoring opportunity that players would think twice about cheating and the consequences of it. Defenders still perform professional fouls but know the risks, attackers can do it without the same level of risk just now. It's all about balance and the rule where a referee's decision is final should not be altered.

Correct!!

As was Joe Jordan when he won a penalty for Scotland against Wales which took us to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina.

He went up with a defender for a high ball in the box, handling it in the process. The ref thought the defender had handled and awarded the pen....

Joe to his credit, just kept quiet about it, and Don Masson slotted the penalty home. Wales 0 - Scotland 1.

Happy days!

The diffrence between the Jordan handball and Henrys', is, we went on to score another goal through Dalglish. I think the fact that Henry's goal was the decisive goal is what makes it feel like such a big injustice to the Irish. If the french had scored with their chance near the end, I don't think it would be as big a deal. More to the point if Ireland had taken some of their chances...

The diffrence between the Jordan handball and Henrys', is, we went on to score another goal through Dalglish. I think the fact that Henry's goal was the decisive goal is what makes it feel like such a big injustice to the Irish. If the french had scored with their chance near the end, I don't think it would be as big a deal. More to the point if Ireland had taken some of their chances...

Yeap... You're right about that. I was thinking that game had finished 1-0.

Probably got mixed up with another qualifier against the Welsh (1987) which we did win 1-0 after a somewhat harsh penalty award.

That game of course will best be remembered as the night Jock Stein died.

Im coming late to this one, so bear with me. It's a contest, there are rules but these rules are open to interpretation and arbitrated by people. Everyone wants to be the winner so there are going to be people in every game who push the envelope. And they get how much for winning it? It's a miracle it's not worse and Henry is right (sadly) - if the whistle disnae blow - on ye go.

KEANO-KEANO

They can complain all they want but France are going to the World Cup - get over it.

France were there for the taking and Ireland didn't do it. Same old story.

If I'd been there in the dressing room after the game, I wouldn't be talking about the handball. I'd focus on why the defenders didn't clear it. They should've cleared it.

"I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?

These are skills and lessons you learn as a schoolboy.

Ireland had their chances in the two games and they never took them. They had chances at Croke Park (in the first leg) and they had chances on Wednesday.

They didn't take them, but it's the usual FAI (Football Association of Ireland) reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...' It's rubbish

There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay

Well said Keano.

Exactly, The French would have gone mental if Henry had said to the ref he handled it, the goal chopped off, and Oireland end up winning the game.

These things happen, and I don't blame Henry, it is the officials at fault for not spotting the handball.

Combination of the two. Just like diving. The ref should spot it but it's still the actions of the player that cause the injustices in the first place.