Who ate all the pies?

CaleyD

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can tell you a local company that would do great pies. Two infact - Murdochs of Forres and Macleans the Bakers. Two of the best pies in the country.

Obviously there is going to be teething problems, but the new guys will know soon enough if there product isn't good enough.

I could name a half dozen butchers who do nice pies, but you need more than a supplier as the food doesn't serve itself.

On the flip side, if you get a good serveries company then they're not able to source premium local produce and sell it on at sufficient profit to justify the business.

Therein lies the biggest problem......building a justifiable business model around 20 to 25 days trading a year and one which has 3 people all looking for a profit (supplier, seller and club).

Finding a supplier (with the high quality produce being demanded) who is also willing/able to take care of the serveries on matchdays and do it all in a manner which generates acceptable income for them and the club is the hard bit.

Those who know me know I'm not normally quick to defend the club when things aren't right, but having seen the process gone through with this I do know that they are trying and will continue to push for improvements with Lindley where it's needed.

As has been said already, the deal is for 5.5 years (seasons) but their is termination clauses and if Lindley aren't delivering and/or they aren't getting what they were promised from the deal then either party can exercise those clauses and go their own way.....so it's not a case of them doing as they please now they have a foot in the door.

Anyway, when all is said and done and with some of the news/rumours currently doing the rounds, I think pies are the least of our worries.....so perhaps a bit of perspective is also required.

The best thing to do if you are unhappy about the pies is, eat before the game. I used to work in the pie stall over at the west stand when people were allowed to stand there. I know what USED to go down in there, but i doubt it's the same now. My 4 years there helped me come to three conclusions, Aberdeen fans are chancing Jakes (No mate, I gave you a ?20), Dundee fans can wind themselves up in no time at all, and that you have no idea what goes on with your meat before you eat it. I would say that the best thing about a national franchise coming in is they will have strict quality control and hygiene standards that will be adhered to. As far as I can see, they are still using the same equipment that was there before they came in so give them time, and they will get it right. It makes business sense to please your customers.

Also, I'm glad to hear that there were no macaroni pies as Saturday was the first time I went to get food at home in years but it took the whole of half time to get to 30th in the Que, and I reluctantly walked to catch the start of the second half. I would have been distraught, grief stricken, and maybe even suicidal to have waited just to be denied. Phew.

Thank you - The Knowledge.

I used to read this Forum for a laugh, but they have been few and far between recently.

However, your last message made me laugh, even though I don't like macaroni pies - the hot chocolate was ok on Saturday, even though they ran out of stirrers.

OK we wanted a change of caterer and thats what we got. Im not happy at the price increases but we now have more choice of merchandise to buy. There were macaroni pies on Saturday as my son had one early on so they just need to supply more. The service is slower but Im sure will speed up as folk get more used to their jobs. Got offered a drinks carrier for the first time on saturday and the west stand girls had ran out of lids but more appeared very quickly. I really think we need to give this a chance to work and just accept that we are not going to get prices reduced.

OK we wanted a change of caterer and thats what we got. Im not happy at the price increases but we now have more choice of merchandise to buy. There were macaroni pies on Saturday as my son had one early on so they just need to supply more. The service is slower but Im sure will speed up as folk get more used to their jobs. Got offered a drinks carrier for the first time on saturday and the west stand girls had ran out of lids but more appeared very quickly. I really think we need to give this a chance to work and just accept that we are not going to get prices reduced.

Didn't I see you on the telly recently, "Highland lottery winner" or something. Good of Don to point out the getout clause in the contract.

If we are looking for a pie stall operator, then two suggestions...

Inverness College...work experience etc

Fans collective, bored wives, husbands daughters. Could be run as a not for profit venture.

Oh yeah, Eden Court operate an honesty stall for tea/coffee. ?1, and you are out of there faster than a Jakey at a wineshop.

I won't be queuing again, till I learn that times have improved substantially.

Why do the club need an outside catering company? Can't they run the catering themselves?

must resist temptation ...... must resist temptation ..... cannot mention breweries ...... must resist temptation ....... cannot mention p***-ups ....... must resist temptation

Why do the club need an outside catering company? Can't they run the catering themselves?

must resist temptation ...... must resist temptation ..... cannot mention breweries ...... must resist temptation ....... cannot mention p***-ups ....... must resist temptation

:lol: :(

Classic :lol: :(

Thank you - The Knowledge.

I used to read this Forum for a laugh, but they have been few and far between recently.

However, your last message made me laugh, even though I don't like macaroni pies - the hot chocolate was ok on Saturday, even though they ran out of stirrers.

Should have came to this topic then :lol:

To save money. The club have the kiosks and equipment and charge a company rent for the use of. This way they get a steady income without having to employ people to run the show. People in kiosks. People to negotiate with the suppliers. People to ensure stock control of dry goods etc. People to ensure compliance with catering laws. All costs money. A company like this one, having a large number of clients are able to cut the cost by keeping the people to a minimum and negotiating large bulk contracts with suppliers.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Cracking steak pie yesterday x 2.

Nothing compares to the Bridies at East End Park Caley Stan.

I wasn't that impressed with the bridies at East End Park, but they might of changed them since i was there last. My favourite pies, were Dundee Utd, and Hearts .. Yum Yum Yum

You want to be taken out and shot for that comment Dornoch Jaggie. The bridies at EEP are the highlight of being back in the first division.

Am told that the "catering staff" were in the Inshes Gate Travel Lodge on 1st Jan, having travelled from Edinburgh, and absolutely gutted at losing their overtime rates when the game was called off! Shame!

Am told that the "catering staff" were in the Inshes Gate Travel Lodge on 1st Jan, having travelled from Edinburgh, and absolutely gutted at losing their overtime rates when the game was called off! Shame!

That's a shame for them. I would have thought that Lindley Catering would have been putting them up in the kingsmills with the price increases