FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rage against the Machine - Christmas number 1

FortressICT

No, I tried but I couldn't hear them.

Is it a love song?..........I have just looked at the Lyrics, they are as shockingly bad as the tune.

I'm off to listen to Neil Young.

Are you being serious? If you are, then the song is about rebellion and not going along with the rest. That those in power are just as bad as those who "Burn Crosses".

I'm no fan of RAtM, but I did buy the single. Why? Because you have to go back as far as 1991 to find a Christmas #1 that wasn't the result of some kind of "gimmick" release....be it a manufactured girl/boy band, a charity release, a cover, a cringe worthy song about Christmas itself or...god help us...a children's favourite.

Some might argue that this #1 has been manipulated into position just as much as many of it's predecessors, and they would probably be right. The difference being that this was "the people" manipulating the #1...which is the whole point of the charts, is it not?

The important thing though is the message...this was more about showing the music industry moguls that not everyone is willing to accept the pap they have been forcing on us year after year than it ever was about the merits of the song, although I am willing to accept that the songs lyrics fit the message being sent.

With any luck this result will halt, or help redress the balance between manufactured pop and encourage a few more bands (and labels) to release songs which will be judged on their music/creative merit and that the consumer will realise what's been going on for longer than has been healthy for the whole music industry.

Oh, and a little tip for those who buy their music online. Check out http://www.tunechecker.com/ they'll find you the cheapest deals available and they only list those providing music that is free from DRM.

we won't be told by Simon Cowell what we'll have as Christmas No.1.

But you will apparently, be told what to buy by some people on Facebook?

Don't get me wrong here, it was a great idea - but poorly thought out. Testify, Guerrilla Radio, Voice of the Voiceless, No Shelter, Bullet in the Head and Wake Up are all infinitely more fitting. Starting a campaign to instruct folk to buy a song that says "F**k you, I won't do what you tell me" is just so ironic it's almost cringeworthy that the campaign actually worked.

Obviously a message has been sent to those in the music industry that we want better music and I'm all for that. (For those who have failed to spot this I'm also a massive Rage against the Machine fan). What annoys me about this is it could have been so much better and could have meant a lot more if more thought had been put in to the campaign before it was started.

I think too many people are getting caught up in what song was chosen to stage the protest.

Does it really matter?

Would the message have been any different with another song?

Even if they had gone for Humpty Dumpty it could have been just as successful with enough people buying into the idea that this was all about putting one over on Cowell/X-Factor and not about the song itself.

As for any irony in the lyrics and people being told what to do by Facebook users....I don't buy that argument. Look around facebook and you'll find a whole host of "This Song for Xmas #1", so people could have chosen to buy in to any one of a number of campaigns aimed at achieving what's been achieved and the majority chose RAtM.

It's the kind of stuff you would play around the house to annoy your parents, and the neighbours too, if you've got a powerful enough system.

I used to do the same with Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and the SAHB....

Great fun!

Ratm aren't as bad as the Sex Pistols.

I could not care less what is number 1 at Xmas, it's still a rubbish song though, and I do prefer the pistols.

Joe will make his money regardless, and plenty of it.

RatM will become famous for one thing, and thats as bad a gimmick as Xfactor.

This would have been my preferred choice:-

My Xmas No1

Edited by themann4thejob
Adding linky poo

I could not care less what is number 1 at Xmas, it's still a rubbish song though, and I do prefer the pistols.

My Xmas No1

To be honest, Rage Against the Machine were and still are really well known over in the States. They arn't as big here, but they were still big before this whole thing.

I would have liked to see Fairytale of New York top again.

My Xmas No1

To be honest, Rage Against the Machine were and still are really well known over in the States. They arn't as big here, but they were still big before this whole thing.

Wow thats a surprise !! The term " plastic paddy " could've been coined for you .

My Xmas No1

Wow thats a surprise !! The term " plastic paddy " could've been coined for you .

Sorry. I forgot anyone who might like that song is classed as one of those :D