FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Matchday Thread: ICT -V- Celtic

Scotty

I'm scunnered, but only because it was the first day of the season and I've wanted that game for ages now. I've watched the game back on Sky, and we could (should?) have had a penalty in 35 seconds. Oddie, Rooney and hayes were manful today, but I was really impressed with Granty. Brilliant wee blocks and intercepts. Esson was different class. There's a lot to take out of the fact that we damned near held 5 million quids worth of green/ white mince, and would have if Nick Ross had buried his chance. We miss Foran, but then so would anyone. We'll not come across many teams like that in the division, so there's hope. At least Mulgrew isn't ours.

No complaints from me about this result, in fact thankful for small mercies is more appropriate. We started brightly, faded before half time and the second half was one way traffic after the first five minutes. But for some heroics from Esson and the back four we could have been cuffed comfortably. I thought Rossco was fantastic, with Esson and Gillet joining him. Eric ran his socks off with little service, chasing shadows at times. Unfortunately without Foran we had no outlet and the ball just kept coming back at our overworked defence. Hayes started like a whippet, and ended like a sloth, but when fully fit he will be a handful.

Overall, we got off lightly. It's disappointing but the best result for us given the gulf in available quality.

Very encouraged by the confidence shown by Odihambo and Hayes and the team's desire to play the ball on the deck in the first half. If we take that approach in future games against sides less strong than Celtic, I'm sure we'll do OK this season.

Wouldn't be overly critical of the performance in the second half: given the amount of money Celtic have spent, it has to be expected that they will simply have more quality than us, and in the second half that superior ability told. Ledley and Brown took complete control of the midfield, whereas in the first half Cox and Duncan had matched them pretty well. Once we lost the goal, we reverted to the long ball - not necessarily the wrong approach at that point, as we weren't competing in midfield, but without Foran there to win the ball and hold it up, it was ineffective and resulted in Rooney getting dragged out of position onto the right wing.

Lastly, I was worried that the defence would be our weakest area this season, but if yesterday is anything to go by, it should be fine - excellent workrate from all four players.

In the pub in Den Haag. Someone tell Maryhill to get a haircut!

Cheeky barsteward. I've got my back-to-school haircut pencilled in for Tuesday...

Didn't think Hayes should have started yesterday. We know we'll have a defensive battle against Celtic, so I thought McBain on the left, Ross on his favoured right would have been a better fit. We'd have more strength in what would be more of a 4-4-1-1. Then we could throw on an unfit Hayes for 30 mins to skin a tired Mulgrew.

It was nae use having Rooney up on his own, he put the effort in but was never getting anywhere with it and their defence coped with relative ease. Think Sutherland should have been introduced earlier, or Eric pushed right upfront to support him after they went 1-0 up.

Think we needed Hayes to start, reckon TB's plan was to get him to use his energy early on and target Mulgrew, with the hope of an early goal and with a bit of luck we might have got one but it wasn't to be. 2nd half they looked sharper and getting all the breaks, it was only a matter of time before the goal came really, and we never looked like getting one back.

Watching the game I thought we were pretty good today. We dominated the 1st half an hour and Mulgrew couldn't cope with Hayes explosiveness. Unfortunately by half time I thought Johnny was looking pretty jaded and was dead on his feet by the hour mark. Did well considering his lack of match fitness. Might have been wise to take him off at least 10 minutes earlier.

I thought Nick Ross played pretty well today on his less favoured side. He has no real experience of this or 1st Division level so I thought he performed amicably. Certainly didn't look out of place as what some seem to be suggesting. His passing was in general precise and he showed quic feet in tight spots. Needs to bulk up a little but he's only 18. His only real error was not to react better to Cha Du Ri missing the header but again, with experience, he'll learn to read those situations better.

Odhiambo was very bright and alert which caused Celtic problems but his 1st touch was absolutely murder at times and I had to check to see if someone had replaced his head with a 50p because his head must be that shape to have missed the header. You don't get many chances in these games and he had to take that really.

I thought McCann played well and got forward at the right times with a few decent crosses into the box. He was however pretty badly at fault for the goal. He stood off and allowed McCourt to cut inside to run along the box. Always show them down the line. After that no one could make a challenge and it was a good finish. Up to then Paddy the Pikey was annonymous.

Gillet played well and made some very good tackles and interceptions. Maybe, like Rossco got caught out of position a little but I think he's got the talent to do well here.

After our good 1st half display and initial bright start to the 2nd half Celtic began to take over after looking beyond mediocre up until then. And they are title favourites? Really?! McCourt took his goal well and there was a good 15-20 minute spell where I thought we were going to implode. We survived that scare and I thought Sutherland should have been brought on to support Rooney earlier and Hayes off earlier... maybe instead of Ross. After that spell Celtic eased off and had we decided not just to lump everything forward aimlessly we could have given them a nervous finish.

In short a good perfomance in the 1st half. A little over ran 2nd half. Can be pretty content and few could argue with the result. As long as we show the same desire for the rest of the season we should not fear anyone.

Could do with a left winger.

And ?4.5m for Scott Brown. Are you kidding me on?!!!

I was wondering why many Celtic fans were wearing purple and yellow scarves yesterday. After the game I found out when I passed some of them in town. They were Papal Visit scarves!!

Also has anyone ever seen James Forrest and the Hunchback of Notre Dame in the same room?

Back in Lancashire after 11 days around Moray area. It's only the second time I've been to a home match and 2 defeats. Seen them 6 times away and never seen them lose. I'll better keep away from the Tulloch! Celtic were too strong in possession for ICT after the first 25 mins. They were beating the planned or unplanned offside trap too easily. I'd like to see a few replays on TV of these incidents. Hayes was inspirational until he was rugby tackled, then he never really got going again. Samaras got more dangerous the longer the game went on but he should have been off for 2 bookables in the 1st half. Esson was MOM, Tokeley seems to divide opinion. I thought his positional play was excellent but just lacks the pace - a good game overall he had though. He'll cope another season against most teams. I thought they all worked hard and Foran would have made a big difference. I don't know too many other players well enough yet. Having watched EPL at Burnley last year, a fully fit Hayes could perform there, but is he consistent?

All in all, a creditable performance.

I'm scunnered, but only because it was the first day of the season and I've wanted that game for ages now. I've watched the game back on Sky, and we could (should?) have had a penalty in 35 seconds. Oddie, Rooney and hayes were manful today, but I was really impressed with Granty. Brilliant wee blocks and intercepts. Esson was different class. There's a lot to take out of the fact that we damned near held 5 million quids worth of green/ white mince, and would have if Nick Ross had buried his chance. We miss Foran, but then so would anyone. We'll not come across many teams like that in the division, so there's hope. At least Mulgrew isn't ours.

Ive just watched the highlights on the bbc website,your dead right the defender deliberately clipped Hayes heel with his hand,I say deliberately because the hand movement wasnt natural motion as he pulled back and extended again when Johnnys heel was within reach.

Didn't make Saturday but have now watched game twice on Sky + (different perspective of course!).

Like most, I thought we were great for the first 25 and should have taken the lead. From then on, pretty much dominated and could have been on the end of a doing but for Esson and the woodwork. He is a top class keeper that we picked up for nothing, perhaps one of the best pieces of business we will ever do. Why we signed JT, I'm not sure?

My only point of disagreement with many posters is McCann. He doesn't do it for me at all and IMO was the most at fault for the goal, even more guilty than Cox. It was far to easy for Plastic Paddy to go past him and if his intention was to shown him the inside then surely he should have pushed him back at the same time? Contributes little going forward and offers nothing in the air. For me, I would play Bambi ahead of him every time.

Gillet on the hand looked great. Granted he possibly didn't give enough protection for the CBs but he really does look pacy and a danger going forward. 5-3-2 anyone?

All in all a decent enough start. Just a pity we didn't sneak one early on!

Edited by Sorted

Tend to agree on it all Mr Sorted. I too wondered why Proctor was on the bench. He offers a better aerial challenge and is pacey enough for most players. He has also played, and scored in these type of games. don't get me wrong, McCann was not poor, just my belief that Proc should have started.

Just been speaking with a Celtic fan who travelled to the game, he think's we're gonna get relegated but since he's a buckie swigging, shaven head, overgrown disgrace for a human being... I'll pay little attention.

As for the game, it's hard to be happy with a loss but it's fair to say we made a good account of ourselves. If Jonny Hayes had a few more games preseason we would have been far more offensive in the second half and maybe pushed them back a bit further but he seemed to struggle with the pace of the game. It's also hard to take when to think what sort of impact Foran would have made to the game, no disrespect to Ross but we really lacked someone to help Rooney with the physical battle.

Esson *****

Perfect performance from him. Possibly the best I've seen from him in an ICT shirt

McCann ***

Young energetic player, you could tell his confidence isn't all there after having a long time out with injury but he could be an excellent signing for us this season.

Gillet ****

First chance I've had to see him play and was impressed. Liked a challenge, worked hard and made a couple of important last ditch tackles.. excellent debut.

Tokely ***

He was caught out of position on a couple of occasions because of his lack of pace, his attempt to get the ball off McCourt before he scored was a shocker but he was solid in the air and made some crucial tackles throughout the game. He did a lot more good than bad but hopefully he can get some consistency in future

Munro ****

Solid throughout, his passing was excellent for once. 1 point where Maloney put him on his erse at the byline but he was one of my top performers.

Duncan **

Did well the first half but went missing in the second half... when he did get the ball he gave it straight back to Celtic. Not his best game

Cox ***

Thought he was the heartbeat of the team in the first half but if you are looking for someone to blame for the goal I'd probably point a finger at him. When a winger cuts inside a full back you need the midfielders to cover and Cox didn't get close enough to him...

Odhiambo ****

Looked excellent, like the rest of the team, he seemed to tire in the second half but I'm sure he'll chip in with some goals this season

Hayes ***

Couple of great runs in the first half but he was dead on his legs for the majority of the game. Looking forward to him ripping teams this season

Ross ***

18 years old, starts first game of the season against Celtic... credit where it's due, he never looked out of place in the team and did a lot more good than bad.

Rooney ***

Worked his erse off and did the best with the service he had.

Subs

Proctor *

Not a winger

Blumanshite *

Not impressed so far.. maybe not fair to judge after 5 minutes but looked as though he didn't fancy it as soon as he walked on the park.

Sutherland *

Not enough time on the park to judge

I was wondering why many Celtic fans were wearing purple and yellow scarves yesterday. After the game I found out when I passed some of them in town. They were Papal Visit scarves!!

That was the point at which I fully and truly realised that SPL football had returned to Inverness - when I drove up to the Caledonian Stadium for a football match and the first thing I saw out on the pavement was a stall selling.... "Pope Benedict XVI" scarves!!

Can anyone explain why Celtic were awarded a free kick in the first minute when Hayes was brought down?

Because Callum Murray is a rubbish referee.

Agree with that assessment.

How on earth could Hayes foul anyone when he had the ball and was running full steam into the box!! Crazy decision from the referee. Not the only one in the game, how Mulgrew and Samaras were not booked remains a mystery to me.

The two fouls that infuriated me were the baltant bodycheck by Mulgrew on Hayes and Samaras's shove on Munro. Both times officials were right on the spot to deal with it and both times they bottled it. Neither had any impact on the result of course but it was disheartening to see so early into the new season that the same officials are still as utterly incompetent as ever before.

Edited by RiG
  • Disagree 1

The two fouls that infuriated me were the baltant bodycheck by Mulgrew on Hayes and Samaras's shove on Munro. Both times officials were right on the spot to deal with it and both times they bottled it. Neither had any impact on the result of course but it was disheartening to see so early into the new season that the same officials are still as utterly incompetent as ever before.

The Hayes foul by Mulgrew was clearly a bookable foul and i think pretty much anyone in the stadium could see that bar the ref and his uselss linesmen.

That foul on Munro by Samaras coupled with his blatant hand ball should have seen him walk but despite those clear bookable fouls and other handballs/fouls he was allowed to stay on the pitch.

Certainly the Mulgrew / Hayes incident was a clear booking. Samaras on Munro might not have been a booking in it's own right but it was clearly a foul right in front of the linesman who gave a throw in to Celtic. Bizarre.

As for the game, it's hard to be happy with a loss but it's fair to say we made a good account of ourselves. If Jonny Hayes had a few more games preseason we would have been far more offensive in the second half and maybe pushed them back a bit further but he seemed to struggle with the pace of the game. It's also hard to take when to think what sort of impact Foran would have made to the game, no disrespect to Ross but we really lacked someone to help Rooney with the physical battle.

Hayes ***

Couple of great runs in the first half but he was dead on his legs for the majority of the game. Looking forward to him ripping teams this season

A tad harsh on wee Jonny there, Harry. He took a hell of a clatter in the box in that first 30 seconds, and stated afterwards he got a knee in the ribs, which was not only very painful, it was actually restricting his breathing.

Even with that handicap, I felt he was still our most dangerous player over the 70 minutes he was on.

I am in the not fully impressed with McCann camp. Poor first touch and gave the ball away more often than not. His balls into the box were not good. He seemed to be posted missing a lot in the RB slot and didn't put a lot of effort in getting back. I am sure he will prove to be an asset as time goes on.

Echo the sentiments about McCann. Was impressed with him in pre-season, he always seemed to look up and check where he was putting the ball rather than just hoofing it away and seemed solid enough going back and forward on the right. Him and Nick seemed to have a good understanding and had some good link-ups, particularly in the QP game.

However yesterday he seemed fazed, whether it by opposition or the cameras on him I don't know. Far too many times he was out of position leaving them acres of space on the left wing. Thank feck it was only Samaras they had out there most the time cause McGeady would've had a field day if he was still there. Also showing McCourt inside onto his stronger foot was a big mistake, and never looked composed when he had the ball. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office and he can pick himself up and do a job against United, and I do believe he will turn out to be a good signing for us.