FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Round

Guest Mahonio

Just pointing out that the current SFL champions are seeded lower than some teams who are not even member of the SFL.

The fact they finished the previous season in a higher league seems to have escaped you. Why stop there though, seed by points gained in the previous league campaign.

1. Rangers

2. Celtic

3. Livingston

4. ICT.

5. Stirling

6. Alloa

........etc.

That would produce tasty cup ties like Stirling v Falkirk, that's not really fair on Stirling is it? Oh wait.....

No, they finished in a non SFL league.

ICT are the SFL champions. They are not the champions of Scotland, Britain, Europe or the world. But they are the champions of the Scottish Football League. Go figure.

I merely lifted the info from P&B. It may not be 100% kosher. Looks correct on the surface though. I couldn't find anything about the next round on the official 'sites.

It looks right - all the seeds finished above us last season. Although, as it is the SFL cup, maybe they should base the seedings on SFL positions. As the current SFL champions. that would make us No 1 seeds! Can't you just hear the West Coast griping if they pulled that stunt!

Classic fail .

Whatever.

Cos it's very likely that this will happen won't it.

Just pointing out that the current SFL champions are seeded lower than some teams who are not even member of the SFL.

the SFL has no place to claim superiority over anything in this competition given that is a cup competition incorporating teams from both the SFL and SPL and the name and organisers stem from a legacy of when all teams were under the same umbrella rather than different organising bodies (yet another reason why we should streamline the bureacracy)

It is pretty straightforward. The first 3 rounds are seeded with the top finishing teams left in the draw taking on the teams that finished below them in the SPL or SFL ....

The only change this year - which did mean we entered a round earlier - is that in the past the relegated SPL team went straight into the 1st round with the promoted SFL1 team getting a bye to the 2nd round ... This was changed for this year so now it is totally consistent with exactly how the league finished the previous season.

Format:(based on finishing positions in the previous season)

Round 1 (seeded) - All SFL teams (30) - 15 games

Round 2 (seeded) - 15 winners + 7 sides that did not qualify for Europe (Hearts, St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Hamilton, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Falkirk) - 11 games

Round 3 (seeded) - 11 winners + 5 Clubs who were in Europe (Celtic, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Hibs, Motherwell) - 8 games.

Q-F onwards - not seeded.

The fact they finished the previous season in a higher league seems to have escaped you. Why stop there though, seed by points gained in the previous league campaign.

1. Rangers

2. Celtic

3. Livingston

4. ICT.

5. Stirling

6. Alloa

........etc.

That would produce tasty cup ties like Stirling v Falkirk, that's not really fair on Stirling is it? Oh wait.....

ICT are the SFL champions. They are not the champions of Scotland, Britain, Europe or the world. But they are the champions of the Scottish Football League. Go figure.

Entry to this competition is not restricted to member clubs of theSFL. If it was your stance would be perfectly valid but as it is not the case it is logical that the seeded teams come from those who finished highest. After all, if the SPL wasn't viewed as a higher standard then why did we all party when we won promotion to it? Granted part of the celebration was winning the SFL Division 1 but for most the biggest part is knowing that we are back in the top flight!!!!

1. Rangers

2. Celtic

3. Livingston

4. ICT.

5. Stirling

6. Alloa

........etc.

HawkeyeTheGnu do you know anything about football ? The more you post the more I think you aint got a clue what your talking about. Another classic fail .

• Disagree 3

HawkeyeTheGnu do you know anything about football ? The more you post the more I think you aint got a clue what your talking about. Another classic fail .

What did I say above that was inaccurate?

Would you like a copy of the angling times with that?

• Agree 1

What did I say above that was inaccurate?

Would you like a copy of the angling times with that?

You thought the cup was The Scottish Football League Cup and was run by the SFL , I'd stop digging now if I was you .

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On the basis that this post was to ask who everyone wanted to get in the next round I suppose I should turn the topic back to that as it has kind of got off topic a bit.

Purely from a selfish point of view I want an away game against Aberdeen so I can go with it being midweek and sooner or later their bubble will burst

For money it has to be one of the old firm.

Edited by MrCaleyjag

Dunno think revenge could be sweet! About time we beat these timewasting cheeting f.........rs!

yeh revenge would be sweet but looking at the stats that isnt happening anytime soon and i wont be looking forward to our next home encounter with them