FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Russell Duncan & Grant Munro leaving

Renegade

Been away all weekend. Can't add much to what's been said. I've been a great supporter of Russell even when he was getting stick and was looking forward to him getting a testimonial.

I hope TB knows what he's doing - he certainly ****ed it up for half a season by playing Strat and Eagle every week till he realised we already had better players.

The test for TB is to keep us up next season. I have to agree that he carries the can so he makes the calls, not us. Gutted for Russeldinho though.

The judgement of whether this is right or wrong will (and should) be based upon the quality and performance of players who are coming in and not those who are leaving.

At the end of the day, we are a bottom six team with the majority of our team bottom six players. If Butcher thinks to move the team on we need to increse the quality of the player then fine. Time will tell whether he gets this right.

Notwithstanding the above, I would personally be keeping RD and probably Grant also. I have to say that my friends and I have discussed on a number of occasions at games that players brought in by Butcher do seem to get away with more than those inherited (in terms of poor performance). I have to say that I thought Grant's time was up when Bitcher failed to support him when he was sent off a couple of months back.

Re Duff, he is undoubtably technically superior to Russell, however in terms of effectiveness as central midfielders Russell wins hands down in my eyes.

After the effect injuries have had on our season I would not touch McCann with a barge pole. Ability counts for nothing when you are on the physios table for most of the season.

• Agree 1

Grant Munro told he can leave too.

That's interesting as I was told a couple of months ago that Butcher and Munro had fallen out. Something about the captaincy apparently.

Munro? Wow! Duncan I can live with, even though I disagree - manager probably wants to change the style of the team. Like most, I think he should still be here for a year but could give Tel the benefit of the doubt. But Munro? How different can a central defender be? With the greatest respect, this is by far bigger news than Duncan. I'd expect Duncan to get a top SFL1 club but Munro could well go to Aberdeen. I fear for the future with this decision.

Shocking that Grant is being told that he is no longer needed! So Duff is good enough but not Grant or Russell. :blink: Both are ICT through and through, experienced, dependable and relativley young. We don't have a huge squad to lose players that will not be replaced one way or another therefore incurring signing on fees etc.

I really cannot see the logic here other than he doesn't like for whatever reason most of the players that were here before he was.

I can only wish Grant the very best for his future, your services will be sorely missed.

• Agree 1

Before posting, remember that some of the information in this thread is only rumour at this stage. I've no reason to doubt the posters or source, but until it's confirmed it may be best to avoid making any comment you may regret if anything turns out to be untrue.

Before posting, remember that some of the information in this thread is only rumour at this stage. I've no reason to doubt the posters or source, but until it's confirmed it may be best to avoid making any comment you may regret if anything turns out to be untrue.

I hope it's false that Duff has been offered a contract!

• Agree 1

Does the issue of this statement mean that these are the only 4 being axed by the club (with any others leaving of their own choice)?

Edited by Bush

It wasn't so long ago (3 weeks or so?) that Munro had been told he was wanted. Wonder what changed? Maybe couldn't come to an agreement, re: finances? I thought he was worth an extra piece of cash but maybe we'll have to hear from Grant to see if it's partly his decision. Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt it but let's see...

It wasn't so long ago (3 weeks or so?) that Munro had been told he was wanted. Wonder what changed? Maybe couldn't come to an agreement, re: finances? I thought he was worth an extra piece of cash but maybe we'll have to hear from Grant to see if it's partly his decision. Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt it but let's see...

Grant took a pay cut to stay at the club this season so I very much doubt it's his choice to leave .

Its definitely a sad day, both have been stalwarts of our club as have the other two players whose release is not garnering as much chagrin.

Granty is 3rd in all time appearances for the club at 363 (3 behind Hastings) and Russell is 5th on the list at 351 (2 behind Barry). I wonder if either of them might move up a place between now and end of season? With Roy McBain in 6th on 342 and Golly 8th on 263 we have just cut 4 of our all-time top 10 appearance makers who have an incredible 1319 appearances between them.

You do not replace that level of experience overnight, nor do you expect people to be happy about losing players who have shown such fabulous loyalty to the club in a day and age where such things are seldom heard off ....

Personally, I am also sad at the end of the Granty era for another reason. I personally sponsored him when he first broke into the squad as a youngster and either by myself, through the site or latterly through the "internutters" sponsorship of the site members, he has been sponsored by us for his entire ICT career - at the start, when he started to cover for injuries, when he broke into the team and formed a partnership with Bobby, through the time he was captain, and right up to the end of this season. Very sad.

• Agree 2

Can't really add to what has been said but IMO letting pedz go is butchers worst decision while in charge of ICT.

Butcher must be pretty confident of keeping hogg by letting munro go who i think may not be the greatest player but he offers good cover for the team.

Whilst obviously very difficult decisions with long serving players, I actually agree with all but the Russell Duncan exit.

Opinion on Duncan seems split between hero or zero on CTO but I see him firmly in the hero camp and he'll be difficult to replace.

I know Munro was deemed too slow by some within the club but homegrown talent like Grant doesn't come along often and I hope we find a long term replacement at centre

half rather than a short term or loan signing.

Best wishes to them all anyway

Its definitely a sad day, both have been stalwarts of our club as have the other two players whose release is not garnering as much chagrin.

Granty is 3rd in all time appearances for the club at 363 (3 behind Hastings) and Russell is 5th on the list at 351 (2 behind Barry). I wonder if either of them might move up a place between now and end of season? With Roy McBain in 6th on 342 and Golly 8th on 263 we have just cut 4 of our all-time top 10 appearance makers who have an incredible 1319 appearances between them.

You do not replace that level of experience overnight, nor do you expect people to be happy about losing players who have shown such fabulous loyalty to the club in a day and age where such things are seldom heard off ....

Spot on with all of this. I guess the greater chagrin around Duncan's and Munro's departures simply reflects the fact that the majority of posters feel they still have a lot to offer the club on the field, while it was generally accepted that, legends though both are, Golly and Mcbain had come to the end of their top flight careers.

I certainly believe that both Duncan and Munro should have been retained and should have been starters in all our games this season. Surely there must be a personality issue between Butcher and these players, and while it's understandable that he wants a unified squad, is it really sensible management to cut loose two players, who have been demonstrably as committed to the ICT cause this season as they have for the past decade, on personality grounds? Maybe I'm being far too sentimental, but despite the success Terry Butcher has brought to the club, I've lost a little confidence in him with this decision, and I'm willing to bet (Top Six Next Year, are you ready to take me up on this?) that we will finish in a lower position next season than this, partly because these club lynchpins will not be adequately replaced.

• Agree 3

What will this mean for the remaing games of the season, there is still money to play for after all. How much interest and enthusiasm will the team have, to do as well as they can. If finances are as difficult as we all assume every position for every penny counts.

I know its very girlie but I feel so sad about this. Duncan was bad enough but Grant is part of the bricks of our club. I know things move on but I really feel bad for him. Even if Terry is right a very dark day IMO.

I must be a girlie too then.

A sad sad day hearing that two of our respected veterans are leaving,I have a lot of good memories involving these players over the years, sadly there will be more to follow.

Alternative Maryhill--what you write comes close to what my reaction is. Latent fear and nervousness for next season.

I don't get a good feeling about this because the decisions appear to be too decisive, too quick and too far reaching , possibly leaving a team exposed to danger with the core gutted. And since all the statements seem to refer to "no money to do this and that" what happens if Terry cannot get a new team all lined up and firing on all cylinders in time, with not a heck of a lot of experience to fall back on as a resultof these decisions?

And what of the loyalty of new players unless they have come through the ICT system or live, and have been brought up, locally? And if these players have come up through the system will they be able to make it in the SPL? Yes or no?

And how many revolving doors does Management feel they will need under Terry to accommodate his plans and dreams for the future?

Finally, what about Terry himself? What if he decides to depart to juicier pastures new?

In such a scenario where will ICT's team backbone and future be, and lie, respectively with all these changes having been made and perhaps no obvious replacements actually signed right now.

As I said earlier, I am just speculating and hope none of my misgivings ever see the light of day down the road to the detriment of Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C. :ponder:

• Agree 1