FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Russell Duncan & Grant Munro leaving

Renegade

im absolutely gutted that russell is leaving and i also feel that we are always better when he is in the team. But i'm going to go with terry on this one. i remember around about this time two years ago when the list of players being released/re-signed was announced and vigurs had been told he would be released the uproar it created on this forum. that seems to have worked out just fine..

That's an apples and oranges analogy. First of all, Vigurs was young player who had only been at the club for a relatively short time. Duncan has played consistently and consistently well for over a decade. ICT weren't always noticeably better or worse, whether Vigurs played or not. It is pretty much indisputable that ICT are a far superior team when Duncan plays. Questions were asked, and rumours surfaced in early 2009, that Vigurs in training was either late, didn't turn up, or simply came across as lazy and uninterested. No-one can doubt that passion and commitment that Duncan has and continues to have for ICT.

• Agree 1

im absolutely gutted that russell is leaving and i also feel that we are always better when he is in the team. But i'm going to go with terry on this one. i remember around about this time two years ago when the list of players being released/re-signed was announced and vigurs had been told he would be released the uproar it created on this forum. that seems to have worked out just fine..

That's an apples and oranges analogy. First of all, Vigurs was young player who had only been at the club for a relatively short time. Duncan has played consistently and consistently well for over a decade. ICT weren't always noticeably better or worse, whether Vigurs played or not. It is pretty much indisputable that ICT are a far superior team when Duncan plays. Questions were asked, and rumours surfaced in early 2009, that Vigurs in training was either late, didn't turn up, or simply came across as lazy and uninterested. No-one can doubt that passion and commitment that Duncan has and continues to have for ICT.

This'll be the same Vigurs who's too good to stay at county after this season. Good enough to play for Celtic but will likely sign for Hibs or Cheltenham Town. He is quoted as having told someone that.

Anyway whoever gets Russel is getting a bargain.

I have to go with Terry on this, seeing as it's him that's the manager that has us on course to equal our best ever league finish, two seasons on from our most devastating season, which he very nearly rescued. Foran, Hayes, Gillet, Tuffy and Cox are all Butcher signings, so every player he signed that you thought was pants, there's that one you like. If he's not using Duncan, why keep him? There's absolutely no way losing a player we don't use is the beginning of the end for our manager. Duncan is a good player, and an ICT fan, just as The Butch is a good manager, and an ICT fan but Tel Butch has decided he doesn't need him. I just hope we don't have to play against him next season, or any other. Good luck Russell.

• Disagree 1

He better have someone good into replace him and no Brian Kerr or some unheard off does not count. I'm pritty sure stats will show that most of our wins this season have come with Russell being in the starting 11.

I understand that Butcher wants to build his own team but chucking one of our most consistent performers of the last 2 seasons is not the answer.

RD has started 7 out of our 10 league wins this season and 10 out of 14 wins in all competitions.

It must fairly knock your confidence not having a contract renewed but life goes on and I dont think that there will be any shortage of offers coming in for Russell and who knows it may even be for a better wage.

Gutted, i cant believe he has not been offered a new deal. he is and has always been a terrific player for ICT. To sum him up in a word (well 2 words) it would be 'team player' and probably one of the best we've had. He will have no problem whatsoever in finding a new club in the SPL and i wish him all the best

If there is ever someone you need to give their heart and sole against Aberdeen tomorrow it is Russell Duncan.

Duncan on only as a late sub and we lose 1-0 with a poor performance. Says it all for me.

I am convinced we do better with Duncan in the side and the stats prove it. I really don't understand some of Terry's selection decisions but then, we are on course to equal our best ever finish after having bounced straight back into the SPL under Terry's leadership - so what do I know?

I think this is a bad decision but I also think we need to give the manager the benefit of the doubt for now and see what next season brings.

No doubt it will all come out in the wash eventually.

What Russell should do, perhaps, is remember that adversity can open another door and when you go through it, it is then up to you what you make of the new circumstance.

A positive approach in this sitution can ultimately rsult in a great experience --especially when the aletrnative is continuing to work for a person or firm who does not appreciate you.

I only hope he can do a real turn for a Manager who values his commitment and a club which appreciates his strengths.

Good luck to Russell and hope the futrure is bright for him.

For sure, it seems as if the fans as a group really appreciate all his work even if he can't meet and greet every one personally.

He better have someone good into replace him and no Brian Kerr or some unheard off does not count. I'm pritty sure stats will show that most of our wins this season have come with Russell being in the starting 11.

I understand that Butcher wants to build his own team but chucking one of our most consistent performers of the last 2 seasons is not the answer.

RD has started 7 out of our 10 league wins this season and 10 out of 14 wins in all competitions.

I rest my case.

:smile: Best of luck to Duncan wherever he may end up. I still can't believe he is going. Think I may even cry :cry: really wanting one of his tops before he goes! Edited by tm4tj
fixed yer greetin for ya

Heard on the grapevine that more players will be told their future in the coming week.

I suspect so. I'd imagine Proctor might be next. Shame if he does but hasn't been a regular (often with injury) for quite a while. Most upsetting thing will be I don't think he's ever played in his most natural position, defensive mid.

Not sure if Dunfermline need Duncan. I've always thought Mason was pretty good there (although not seen him since Accies). More likely a Falkirk, Accies, Dundee or Partick. He could be real captain material for them, driving them on to SFL1 glory, as he's proved he can do with ICT.

Heard on the grapevine that more players will be told their future in the coming week.

You need a faster grapevine....Butcher confirmed that's exactly what would be happening in his press interviews last week!!!

• Disagree 1

Its a toughie ....

I think this thread shows that pretty much all of us are positive about RD's contributions to the team in the past, and feel he could still do a job for us in the future (for another couple of years at least - if not longer).

Its kind of weird in a way because I also remember that when Russell was playing regularly, some of the people crying 'foul' about the lack of a contract offer were also the same ones who were coming on moaning about him missing passes or not performing to the level they expected. I guess to a certain extent, the rose tinted glasses have been put on by a few who maybe didnt rate him in the same way as those glasses get worn when discussing any ICT 'legend'.

I stated my own personal opinion earlier in the thread and it pretty much mirrors the first paragraph above. However, I am just a fan, and not party to much of what goes on behind the scenes. I dont know what the day to day relationship is between player and manager, although I would imagine that right about now it is not too good (for obvious reasons). I dont know how committed the player is in training and I also dont know if he and Butcher have (or have had) 'words' in the past which is colouring the manager's opinion. All I know is that I agree with others in this thread and that I would rather see him in an ICT shirt than in another SPL shirt next season (and make no mistake, he is still good enough to be in the SPL next year).

Reading between the lines of various articles last week, TB definitely seems to be one for developing the youth as he was quite happy for the comment to be made that the average age of the midfield against St Johnstone was under 20. He took a similar approach at Motherwell and it worked there too. Personally, I think the most successful teams have a blend of youth and experience and I am sad that part of that 'experience' next season will not be Russell.

I wish Russell all the very best, I hope he finds another SPL team - I am still betting on him going to the Pars - and I definitely think that he is one of those players who will have 'legend' status conferred upon him for all he has done for the cause. I also note that in one of the articles last week he made the time to thank the fans for their support over the duration of his ICT career which was a nice touch.

Good luck Russell, and all the very best.

Wild card - RD for the Dons!

A much changed Aberdeen will need some experience (Hartley now retiring?) after losing so many players. Peds fits their wage structure, hails from that part of the world and would be happy to play the role of a squad player.

Just a hunch based on nothing other than logic!

Been away for a few days and come back to a shambolic performance (from what I have read) against Aberdeen and rumours abound that several key players could be away. Quite shocked by this news. Thought Duncan was easily worth a new deal.

You need a faster grapevine....Butcher confirmed that's exactly what would be happening in his press interviews last week!!!

A faster car and woman would be nice too!

Grant Munro told he can leave too.

Yeah I just heard that too. Looks like TB doesn't want most of the players that were there prior to him becoming manager.