FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Matches v Highland League teams

Yngwie

Over the years we must have played dozens of HL teams in pre-season friendlies.

How many times have we lost? I know the results hardly matter, but I'm struggling to think of any defeats, in recent years at least.

I know we are the pro team and expect to win all these games, but when we are usually fielding an understrength, experimental and relatively unfit team, it's a bit of a leveller. When the boot was on the other foot, I can remember pre-merger Caley dishing out defeats to the likes of Hearts.

Looking back as far as 2001/02 we've had 3 draws at Huntly, a draw at Lossiemouth but there was a defeat. That was on 23 July 2002 when we lost 2-0 at Lossie. Not sure what team was on the park mind but a defeat is a defeat.

I seem to recollect an ICT team of some form getting beat by Wick a few years ago. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling Zander Sutherland was playing.

Also, even though they were no longer in the Highland League at that time, Peterhead beat ICT 2-1 (I think) in a friendly before the start of the 2008/09 season. It was one of Christie's last games in charge.

Edited by Renegade

Pre merger Caley were way ahead of the Highland League of today. Plus as I alluded to on another thread we have players who are trying to impress and that makes a big difference.

Can anyone else remember when we had such competition for place pre season - there are a lot of positions and contracts up fer grabs.

The HL is probably poorer than the EOSL these days. Edinburgh City putting Clach out the cup twice? In the old days it would have been 5-0 Caley. Same with Caley v Spartans who have run away with the league for 3 years.

I seem to recollect an ICT team of some form getting beat by Wick a few years ago. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling Zander Sutherland was playing.

Also, even though they were no longer in the Highland League at that time, Peterhead beat ICT 2-1 (I think) in a friendly before the start of the 2008/09 season. It was one of Christie's last games in charge.

Lost to Wick last year in the NOTS Cup