FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher Demands ?!

Butcher hit out at his players over a "crazy 26 minutes" and wants them to put that right at McDiarmid Park on Saturday against St Johnstone, the team that inflicted their previous home loss.

"We are making chances and looking hungry but we have to stop that sloppiness and giving opponents easy goals," Butcher said.

"That sounds simple but what is required is concentration, work, spirit, togetherness and desire.

"You can label these things but you can't physically give them to players. It's in the players' minds.

"What they have to do is ram my words down my throat and say 'I can do this'.

"If they can do that I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say well done.

"I know if a manager of mine had said things like that to me, and they did because I have had a lot more criticism than I give to my players, I wanted to ram it right down his throat.

"That included people like Bobby Robson and Bobby Ferguson at Ipswich.

"I wanted to make them eat their words and be proud of me, that was my main aim as a player, that gave me more drive than anything else, and that's what I'm looking for from my players this weekend."

Will he ever feckin learn ? But does highlight the old fashioned managerial mentality which he appears to have "inherited". In this statement one line does not equate readily to the next.