FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ross Tokely thinking of bowing out

Alex MacLeod

Think tokes needs to stay, the club needs him now more than ever, even if he's not a regular he'd still be challenging for places, i can't imagine why he wouldn't start considering he was probably the only regular thing about our back 4 this season.

1 more year! 1 more year!

• Agree 2

Think i might cry if this turns out to be his last game, ive never seen an ICT side that Ross Tokely hasnt played for before. I hope he stays.

• Agree 1

I think its time for Ross to call it a day with ICT. Id rather see him got out on a relative high. Move him on, free up a wage, bring in some fresh blood with the future in mind. His best days are behind him, and we cant afford to be nostalgic and carry passengers. Every place in the squad is precious

• Agree 1

Ross made his debut in Scottish cup 1-3 defeat to Hamilton on 25th january 1997. He came on in 82nd minute to replace Ian Stewart. This game would have been played at TCS i'd imagine since we had moved to there in november 96. He probably played in pre-season games at Telford Street.

Edited by Alex MacLeod
  • Agree 1

Ross made his debut in Scottish cup 1-3 defeat to Hamilton on 25th january 1997. He came on in 82nd minute to replace Ian Stewart. This game would have been played at TCS i'd imagine since we had moved to there in november 96

Debut August 1996 v Clyde according to the ICT official site.

Since when was Ross Tokely a passenger? He may not be as good as he was but no one can say he has had a terrible season, in recent months he has been one of our best players and given we already suffer from a lack of experience in defence just now i would say it would be foolish to let him go just now. Hogg has no immediate return date and Williams and Golobart are only on loan, that would leave us with no centre backs come pre season.

I echo GMD's thoughts of 1 more year.

Ross made his debut in Scottish cup 1-3 defeat to Hamilton on 25th january 1997. He came on in 82nd minute to replace Ian Stewart. This game would have been played at TCS i'd imagine since we had moved to there in november 96

Your right enough Yngwie. That was a league cup game away to Clyde. Doing deeper research I see he never featured from then till 14th September 96 at home to Shire. He would have played at Telford street then.

A new lesson is learned today...........never trust Soccerbase.

Whatever Tokes decides to do is entirely fine by me. We owe him a hell of a lot including the right to chose his own future.

All we can ask from the club is that the decision is his. He is certainly due this decency.

• Agree 4

Your right enough Yngwie. That was a league cup game away to Clyde. Doing deeper research I see he never featured from then till 14th September 96 at home to Shire. He would have played at Telford street then.

A new lesson is learned today...........never trust Soccerbase.

More like never trust what Alex MacLeod says :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by caleyboy

"The manager has made it clear he wants to keep me, but my future is still up in the air," he said. "I've got to look at whether I'll play much of a part next year. I don't want to be one of those players just sitting on the sidelines.

"I couldn't hack that for longer than a few games. I would need to speak to the manager next week and get some idea of how much I'll play a part next year.

"A lot of it is obviously up to myself in terms of how well I do. But, in the past, other players here around the 33 or 34 age have ended up just sitting on the bench all season. I'm not the sort to do that."

Slight contradiction in terms there !! Will be gutted if today is going to be his last game but I could understand why he does'nt want to be a squad player. I suppose Peterhead would be the favourites to pick him up.

I stayed behind at the end for the players lap of honour and Tokely's face looked to me like he saying that that was it. I hope it isn't though - he's one of the clubs best players!

• Agree 1

Surely - if this was going to be Rosscoe's final appearance - it should have been well publicised as, if it is true, it is a major milestone in the history of the club that should have been recognised. If this was suspected beforehand and not acted on it is simply a disgrace. Lets hope there is a plan for a pre season game to honour the legend if not.

It is miscommunications like this that are dragging the club down.

• Agree 1

Agree it looked at the end of the game and when the players came back out as if Rossco knew that was the end. Hope that's not the case. As IHE says if the club failed to mark such an occasion it would be an absolute travesty. We'll see....

Baffled as to how anyone can find fault with the club on this one. They've told Tokely they want him to stay, the ball's in his court and he hasn't made his mind up yet. Why should the club be commemorating his departure today?

• Agree 1

Wheres the miscommunication Johndo? Tokely himself spoke to the press.

And why would Rosscoe choose the eve of the final game of the season to utter such a revelation. I can appreciate that he may well want to keep things more low key but he is a people person and has a total connection with the fans and I am wholly sure that he would not have chosen to leave / play his final game under such circumstances - and the club should not have even considered it.

He states "The manager has made it clear he wants to keep me" which of course could be as a squad player, an influence etc, etc. And I can also appreciate that TB may consider that Rosscoe will not be a regular starter next season, with good reason - BUT - Rosscoe then declares "I would need to speak to the manager next week and get some idea of how much I'll play a part next year" and that really does not make any sense or connection. Surely to gawd that sort of conversation should have happened weeks ago - or perhaps we were thinking of next season in the SPL - which is just as shocking.

His quotes are expanded in the Retard:

Asked if he was hopeful of remaining at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Tokely said: "Yeah, we have got a few things to discuss and we'll see.

"At my age I'm not wanting to be on the bench, or a squad player.

"I don't think I have the divine right to start every week but I should definitely get the chance to do that and if not then I'll look to get out and play somewhere else.

"I'll definitely fight for my place, if I'm not going to be a regular it won't be for me next year."

Sorry but summat stinks here - and I fear that another local legend has been treated badly.

If ever we needed a statement of clarity from official sources then this is it.

Baffled as to how anyone can find fault with the club on this one. They've told Tokely they want him to stay, the ball's in his court and he hasn't made his mind up yet. Why should the club be commemorating his departure today?

That is a totally unbelievable statement and the type of un-ICT like attitude that is threatening to take this club down - Your Why should the club be commemorating his departure today? defies belief !!

"I would need to speak to the manager next week and get some idea of how much I'll play a part next year" surely suggests that it has not been formally discussed AND "I don't think I have the divine right to start every week but I should definitely get the chance to do that and if not then I'll look to get out and play somewhere else. does not suggest that the ball is in his court - it suggests that he has had a - lets say "suggestion" - that he will not be being considered for a first team place next season.

I think its time for Ross to call it a day with ICT. Id rather see him got out on a relative high. Move him on, free up a wage, bring in some fresh blood with the future in mind. His best days are behind him, and we cant afford to be nostalgic and carry passengers. Every place in the squad is precious

Jeez! were you at the game today??????? Rossco was immense, hardly put a foot wrong, so according to you he should be moved on? we will need his experience next season, his passion for Inverness CT has no equals.

• Agree 9

An ICT starting line up without big Tokely in it is still hard to believe but it sadly does look like his last competitive home appearance today judging by the expression on his face after the final whistle

He is MR ICT forget pretenders like Charlie Christie whenever you ask fans from other clubs to name an ICT player Ross tops the poll

I just hope the club does something to show their gratitude, maybe erecting a bronze statue of the big man outside the main gate

Dougal

Think it seems simple from his quotes in the press, he wants to stay and TB wants him to stay, but RT wants garuntees to play every game but at his age its not possible (infact for no player should that be the case) rightly IMO the manager should be looking at options moving to the future but it seems apparent that Rossco has a place and will play games.

I'm sure people will read the comments however they want to regardless of how or what is said by either party