FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Highland Derby - Offensive Singing

CaleyD

The following warning appears here - http://ictfc.com/news/club-news/746-ross-county-v-ict-2nd-january

Highland Derby: Offensive Singing

Whilst both Ross County and Inverness Caledonian Thistle are keen to maintain the fantastic atmosphere that Highland Derbies are famous for, on advice from the Procurator Fiscal's office, the Police have advised both Clubs that singing or chants which could be deemed offensive to groups or communities such as travellers are deemed an offence under the law in Scotland and therefore anyone caught singing them is liable to criminal prosecution.

We hope all fans will join the Club in keeping the Highland Derby an occasion which can be enjoyed by all supporters regardless of their gender, colour, race, nationality or ethnic origin.

post-3-0-03109800-1356714285.jpg

As ridiculous as we all might find the situation, don't risk it.  You can find yourself with a criminal record for "Racially Aggravated Breach of the Peace" and people such as future employers aren't going to look beyond that at the details of the case.  Such a record can also prevent you from gaining entry to certain other countries around the world and cause you no end of grief with many things....it's just not worth it.

Those flirty tipsy bar stewards were singing 'Id rather be a Gipsy than a tink' just to clarify, is that offensive to tinks and gypsies?

Personally think this is banter on both sides which has gone on for years! Very few folk seem to find it offensive but in the PC world Caley D is right in that its just not worth it! And yeh I hope hat would apply to both teas but I wouldn't hold your breath.

To sing  That any individual  is a  W. blah  , is all right then?

St M. fans sang it about our manager. He often gets that sort of stick

I mean being at a football match is not a church service

Edited by Laurence

what about singing "the wheels on the house" is that illegal now to

Does it mention a race of people?

it mentions travelers

Does it???

when you say the wheels on the house you mean a caravan which is related to the people over the bridge

Really!!! I thought it was in reference to a house I've seen that has two wagon wheels at either side of the front door. Though I must admit to having never seen them go round and round.

Where will it end though? what will be the next 'offensive' chant not allowed at football matches.

Precisely....

"Tinks" is also a name for travelling folks, so is that word to be treated in the same way?

What about farmers?

Are teams from the South allowed to poke fun at us for being kilt wearing Highlanders?...even if we are not?

• Agree 1

What about "If you all respect gypsies clap your hands" OR "Stand up for the travellers rights" OR "My old man said be a County Fan - I said feck off bollicks yer a **** - we could take the Jail End in half a minute - we could take the Briggs with the Staigo in it - Weve hammered the Blue Toon and the feckin Old Firm too - But you have got to respect the travellers - the inbreds and peg sellers - from good old Dingwall Town.

He is only a poor little pikey

His face is all tattered and torn

He made me sick

So I hit him with a brick

And now he dont sing any more.

Down in the Ferry many years ago

Ten little Caley boys stood in a row

Each had a razor and hung it by their side

And slashed all the County boys open wide

Well at least it aint racist - perhaps the 70's were more socially correct than was thought ?!!  Well I always did like the Bouncy :wink:

Where will it end though? what will be the next 'offensive' chant not allowed at football matches.

Precisely....

"Tinks" is also a name for travelling folks, so is that word to be treated in the same way?

What about farmers?

Are teams from the South allowed to poke fun at us for being kilt wearing Highlanders?...even if we are not?

If I remember rightly...and not so long ago, a punter in Caithness was prosecuted for calling someone a tink in the street! (No idea if the person "denigrated" was a tink or not,or just offended because someone thought they were, btw!)...so I guess it is.....but in the end, do the plods (is that not also an offensive term nowadays?) not need actual punter complaints to do the officious bit and charge folks, unless they were present and heard the offending words themselves and decided to do "jobsworth"....or club stewards decide to do reporting?

Wonder how the Dundee Supporters (and others) get off with calling DU fans Arabs? Maybe because no Arabs give a toss, or maybe the Arabs just don't do PC to the level of complete and utter irrationality we white punters do...and are just happy that the Dundee supporters are not inciting religious/racial hatred against them which may mean they get beaten up by white punters?

The problem is not the football chants really, imo......the problem is in the fragile flowers who spend their lives waiting and listening for people to rain, in their opinion, on their sunny parade...just so they can whine/complain...or even better, get others into trouble about it! Nothing wrong with chants meant as banter (and I don't include Rangers/Celtic chants in the banter stakes)...but how many fitba games in Scotland result in pitched battles outside the ground anyway......battles directly influenced by the chanting?

Edited by Oddquine