Captain Foran on BBC Alba @ HT

Council Juice

Was a really good interview from our captain and he really acts like a leader. I really hope that when he's ready for it, and the sooner the better, Hughes gets him coaching as the man talks well.

He clearly has an affinity to the club, is pleased with the progress made and knows the expectations of the fans well. He seemed keen on the idea of progressing after he finished playing and suggested the ICT was the club he wants to do it at. 

He also likes the way the club is run and applauded our financial stance.

A true club captain. Doesn't mince his words, and doesn't accept anything below the best.

He didn't make the big error until after he went off. Maybe relieved the pressure not having his there and he took it easy.

I think Foran demands the best. He's a bit like Roy Keane in that respect. Man United had unbelievable drive with him in the team. However admittedly he, like Keano, sometimes does not always time the scalding perfectly.

People always faff on about confidence. They're grown men with jobs to do. And if they drop below standards they should expect to be told. Not a sport for soft touches, and certainly not in Goals.

Can't say I enjoyed him having a go so publicly at Brill tonight. Not exactly going to do wonders for the keepers confidence.

He's done that before with others.  He's probably past his best now and whilst capable of inspirational performances on the park, they are becoming a bit few and far between.  Perhaps it's time to think about him having a role more off the park than on it.  Perhaps a regular place on the bench and the occasional appearence when the defensive midfield needs strengthened late in the 2nd half.  At the very least I think he needs a rest for a couple of games.

Before he got injured he was the messiah and during his injury we missed his presence badly and now, because he hasn't went straight back to his excellent pre injury form he's past it.

No, he was out for 2 months and at 33 it takes that bit longer to get your sharpness back. Hughes said himself before the Partick game both he and Vincent were still a couple of games away from full match fitness. That hasn't changed. And I don't think it's because its one of those injuries that you never get back from either.

I think the real problem is 2 things really. 1, trying to play 4 central midfielders in the team when we need 2. That's Hughes fault. Vincent can play advanced but not out wide. That seems clear.
Second, individual errors, like from Meekings and Brill against United, twice, in 2 different games. Mainly Brills fault tonight, but it was a short back pass. That doesn't excuse Brills thinking. What is his obsession with hitting it towards the oncoming player? That gaffe really cost us.

• Agree 3

And why are there so many back passes anyway?

After this happens, it puts Brill in a real spot and then he needlessly gets the blame--ridiculous.

Kick the damn thing into touch rather than passing back for goodness sake.

It is clearly what the team are being coached and instructed to do at the moment.

And why are there so many back passes anyway? After this happens, it puts Brill in a real spot and then he needlessly gets the blame--ridiculous. Kick the damn thing into touch rather than passing back for goodness sake.

It's about keeping possession. Yogi always has his teams doing this.

....if you look at the footage, the fault with the goal really starts with Meekings; when the ball comes to him, he has time to turn to his outside and play it to Shinnie, who is unmarked. If you're going to paly this kind of football, you need players in every position with vision; they need to know what they will do with the ball before it comes to them, which means playing with threir heads-up all the time. Meekings clearly didn't know that Shinnie was in space and did the easy thing, but the pass was short and then Brill completed the shambles by trying to play it left instead of right (and off the park).

To get back to the thread - I thought it was a good interview and he obviously is a motivator.

• Agree 1