FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Lack of player on the bench today

gordieict

I replied to this on the 'matchday thread' in reply to Kingsmill's initial observation. Very poor and makes us look quite amateurish.

It would appear that the released players are out of the equation and have played their last games for Inverness.

I know only 3 subs can be played during a game, but he (Hughes) at least give himself options - or at least give the youngsters the opportunity to sample the match-day experience.

It seems he's only picked a squad of players that he feels he could play any part at all in the game - which is worrying.

Basically, Hughes has effectively shown that, of the available players he had today, he only rates 15 players as capable of wearing the shirt. That's surely the only logical conclusion to take.

• Agree 1

Would they not still be in contract till the end of the season?  It seems mad not to have a full bench and at least if one of the youngsters who is not going to be offered a new contract were to be needed on the pitch for some reason it would be an opportunity to sell themselves.  No way would they let the club down.  If there genuinely were no other in contract players available then the youngsters' contracts should not have been terminated so quickly.  This smacks of poor management however you look at it.  Absolutely agree with IHE - an explanation is needed.

I don't really see the issue. If you've got a goalie and a defender, midfielder and striker available on the bench then you're quite covered.

Quite a few managers, Terry I think as well, are of the opinion that you don't get on a bench just to make up numbers. You earn your squad spot.If the player has no real chance of getting on the pitch there is no real reason to be there.

Then there is the issue of unused sub bonuses which they might be on, why spend what you don't intend to use?

And finally, and most importantly, that's 3 extra fish suppers required on the way home. Yogis no payin, thats fir sure!