FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Where next

Actually it would be nice to get Ross County away in the next round but they keep exiting competitions early. 

Even their chairman is dismayed at Spartans getting to the 5th Round in this year's Cup. 

''Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor has labelled some of his team’s performances this season as awful, but retains faith manager Jim McIntyre can rescue the campaign...............................MacGregor is desperate to achieve a settled squad, and reckons County should look no further than Highland rivals Caley Thistle, third in the Premiership, for inspiration.''

Actually it would be nice to get Ross County away in the next round but they keep exiting competitions early. 

Even their chairman is dismayed at Spartans getting to the 5th Round in this year's Cup. 

''Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor has labelled some of his team’s performances this season as awful, but retains faith manager Jim McIntyre can rescue the campaign...............................MacGregor is desperate to achieve a settled squad, and reckons County should look no further than Highland rivals Caley Thistle, third in the Premiership, for inspiration.''

And ideas 'Staggies together' I'm looking forward to 'shoot for the caravan window'

Draw is 2pm tomorrow. It live on tv anyone know?

Would make sense to have the draw live after one of todays game surely

It's on SKY Sports News  - which I don't have! I was gutted when they took it off Freeview.

I agree, it would have been much better doing the draw after the Rangers-Raith game this afternoon. Everybody is buzzing for the draw with the Cup so wide open.

There's also a real geographical spread in the last 8.

1 x North = Inverness

1 x Central Scotland = Falkirk

1 x South = Queen of the South

1 x Glasgow = Celtic

1 x Edinburgh = Hibernian

1 x Dundee = Dundee United

1 x England (!) = Berwick (probably)

1 x Fife = Raith (I hope!!!)

• Agree 3

Then there were 9! I can't remember a Scottish Cup so wide-open! Spartans are technically in the quarter-final draw!

Celtic - Dundee United - Inverness

Falkirk - Hibernian - Raith Rovers - Queen of the South

Berwick Rangers ?

Spartans ?

• Agree 1

I've looked in crystal ball

ICT v Berwick/Spartans

Dundee Utd v Celtic

Falkirk v Hibs

Raith v QOS

Will that do us?

Would take that! But it's sheer fantasy, as Celtic will be granted a home tie tomorrow against Championship opponents. As sure as night follows day!

Interestingly, I've worked out the odds of my crystal ball prediction being correct as exactly 1 chance in 100.  That would be in a fair random draw of course.  Any mathematician out there care to check it for me?  Its a long time since I did permutations and combinations!   I may try and get bookie odds in the morning and risk a couple of quid on it.

Interestingly, I've worked out the odds of my crystal ball prediction being correct as exactly 1 chance in 100.  That would be in a fair random draw of course.  Any mathematician out there care to check it for me?  Its a long time since I did permutations and combinations!   I may try and get bookie odds in the morning and risk a couple of quid on it.

Don't put any money on that, mate. The odds of your draw occurring are considerably more than just 100/1!

Don't put any money on that, mate. The odds of your draw occurring are considerably more than just 100/1!

With 8 balls in the draw, there are 56 possible permutations available, therefore the odds are 55-1 against any specific draw when randomly selected.

That said, I still wouldn't put any money on it, and I wouldn't put money on Celtic getting a home tie to a Championship side either.  :whistle:

With 8 balls in the draw, there are 56 possible permutations available, therefore the odds are 55-1 against any specific draw when randomly selected.

That said, I still wouldn't put any money on it, and I wouldn't put money on Celtic getting a home tie to a Championship side either.  :whistle:

That was my logic too, Rasczak, one chance in 56 for 8 balls.  Then there would be 6 balls left where the odds reduce to 1 in 30, then 4 balls left when it would be  1 in 12. and finally only 2 balls left when it would be 1 in 2.  I added these together to get 1 in 100.   Maybe they should be multiplied together to give 40320 or Factorial 8 ?  As I said, its a long time since I did this sort of stuff.

Getting first home team right is 4 in 8 (1 in 2)

Getting opponent right is 1 in 7 (accumulator =1 in 14)

Next home team right is 3 in 6

Next opponent right 1 in 5

Next home team 2 in 4

Opponent right 1 in 3

Next home 1 in 2

Opponent is last ball

Multiply odds = 1 in 1680

Full explanation of how it works is here, with a calculator here, but simply put, team 1 has 14 possible draws, then team 2 has 12, team 3 has 10 and so on to team 7 having 2 and team 8 being left with no options. You end up dividing the factorial of the total number of teams by the factorial of the teams minus the number drawn each time.

In this case factorial 8 (40320) divided by factorial 6 (720)

This comes to 56 possible permutations of the quarter finals, therefore 55/1 against odds.

Edited by Rasczak