Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Inverness CT -V- Dunfermline

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I agree with you, when we get control of the ball we seem to wait till the other team are all behind the ball and back In their shape and then try to play through them, It just doesnt work, while our opponents always seem to counter quickly with pace with our defence stretched.

 

16 minutes ago, Sean93 said:

A poor first half overall the team really struggle to transition from midfield into attack without having any players to really drive with the ball and beat a player. I don't think this has ever really been replaced since we lost Shinnie and Watkins.

This has been a concern of mine (and others) from what I've seen this season. All too often we get the ball in a good attacking area but there seems to be a hesitancy to get moving forward. I wasn't there last night but on Saturday, and the other games this season, width came from Tremarco and Rooney whilst their team mates ahead of them tucked inside (Doran, Walsh, Polworth etc.) This meant, on Saturday, with Tremarco advanced and Doran tucked in ahead of him, Ayr had acres of space to batter a ball into our totally vacant left back area to launch a counter.

Too often when we do get the ball we seem content to pass, move, pass move, and so on. No one seems willing to take their opponent on and try and beat them.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RiG said:


Too often when we do get the ball we seem content to pass, move, pass move, and so on. No one seems willing to take their opponent on and try and beat them.

Been moaning about this for years too. The recieved wisdom is always, take no risks at the back, take some risks in midfield, save the risky passes for final third. But we must be the most cautious, risk-averse side in the league.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As defending champions I would have thought that we would be determined to go as far as possible and to field our strongest team.  Cup runs are good for so many reasons that to risk going out with a weakened team when there is no need to rest players seems a very strange call indeed.

Dunfermline fielded an even more weakened side than us for some reason.  We should have beaten them and ironically, without the negative contributions of 2 of the 4 who started on Saturday, we would have done.  Brad McKay's rash challenge (albeit outside the box) led to the penalty whilst Polworth gifted the ball to the pars who made good use of the opportunity.

On the plus side, we played some really good attacking football in the second half, particularly when Walsh and Oakley came on.  The subs provided a much needed urgency and Walsh and Rooney combining well down the right created more space for the outstanding Calder to exploit on the other side of the park.  Calder was a clear MOTM and got several very good crosses in, often from positions where you felt it unlikely he would be able to cross it at all.  I hadn't seen Welsh play before but I thought he had a decent game and looked more positive than either Trafford or Chalmers.

As others have said, we have looked very slow in our build up play this year.  We need to attack with a bit more pace and width.  Last night we did that for the final 30 minutes and created chance after chance.  Hopefully making several changes has provided some clues to the manager about how to make us a more potent and exciting attacking force. With Tremarco returning I would like to see Calder playing in midfield.  He had some good performances at the end of last season too. I rate him as one of our best players and he needs to have a regular start.

Worth noting that  on the day we tamely bowed out of the cup we won last year, our unwanted cup winning captain of a few months ago was doing sterling work for Yeovil in the English League cup against former European Champions Aston Villa. They lost 1-0, but to quote the BBC report Villa "were denied as Gary Warren dived headfirst to stop Hourihane's powerful shot."  I'm sure he enjoyed his evening more than our current captain who was not involved at all as the trophy slipped from our hands.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrary to popular belief, I heard Robbo on the radio this morning. The gist of his interview was along these lines.

I have players knocking on my door asking why they are not getting a game. The next time they ask I'll be showing them a video of this game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Sorry to be negative but we were playing a very young pars team which we dominated for most of the game  but yet again failed to put the match to bed. On this showing I would be very surprised if we are challenging at the end of the season

 I hope I'm wrong.

Which end?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re my question , above, re Trafford. If he is only 24 years old then it's not the much older player I had in mind from the past. Mind you, the player I had in mind was then seemingly beginning to fade so that should have  resonated with me.

Surprised that McCart didn't charm one of our supporters. That's rather disappointing because  when he originally was on loan to us he was one of the on-loan players that sparkled as I recall. And what I saw of him was impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Contrary to popular belief, I heard Robbo on the radio this morning. The gist of his interview was along these lines.

I have players knocking on my door asking why they are not getting a game. The next time they ask I'll be showing them a video of this game?

Bizarre thing to say.  Presumably he's referring to players who were in the team last night?  In which case one question is "Was it any worse than other recent games?", and another is "Is that how you encourage them?".

If he's referring to players who aren't regularly in the team, then he's strengthening their case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Contrary to popular belief, I heard Robbo on the radio this morning. The gist of his interview was along these lines.

I have players knocking on my door asking why they are not getting a game. The next time they ask I'll be showing them a video of this game?

I heard the interview on MFR and my first thought was he picked the starting team and also its never good hearing the manager tearing into the players there was 7 different starts from saturday but it was more of the same on the pitch which surely must come down to the way they are coached?? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Polo Chick said:

I heard the interviisw on MFR and my first thought was he picked the starting team and also its never good hearing the manager tearing into the players there was 7 different starts from saturday but it was more of the same on the pitch which surely must come down to the way they are coached?? 

Totally agree with you. It Is down to the coaching, and It doesnt matter who knocks on the managers door, he Is the boss, the manager picks the team, the players dont pick the team. Is he saying he bowed to player pressure and thats why there were so many changes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RiG said:

That penalty award :laugh:

 

Yup. Definitely came in contact outside the box, never a pen. Rather have them take an edge of the box free kick rather than a penalty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Totally agree with you. It Is down to the coaching, and It doesnt matter who knocks on the managers door, he Is the boss, the manager picks the team, the players dont pick the team. Is he saying he bowed to player pressure and thats why there were so many changes.

this seems a bit like deja vue from the comment this time last year. Ok results are marginally better but the interviews seem the same to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is all very well giving youth it's chance but as a supporter I object to having to pay so much for entrance to watch a youth team. One begins to wonder should I have really bought a season ticket again ?

  • Agree 3
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think by and large John Robertson has done a good job for us so far and believe he has the ability to take us back to the Premier League... however... his post match comments yesterday evening were LUDICROUS. His criticism of Ricky Calder was absolute tosh. Calder was by far and away the best player on the park yesterday. If he doesn't start our next game on the left flank I'll be astonished.
 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AlexJones said:

I think by and large John Robertson has done a good job for us so far and believe he has the ability to take us back to the Premier League... however... his post match comments yesterday evening were LUDICROUS. His criticism of Ricky Calder was absolute tosh. Calder was by far and away the best player on the park yesterday. If he doesn't start our next game on the left flank I'll be astonished.
 

What was said about Ricky Calder? Was he singled out for criticism? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having watched the highlights I didn't see any clear cut chances created, half chances yes, even our goal was a half chance brilliantly finished by White.

I bumped into the Ayr lads on Saturday in Aviemore, joked with them about ordering chips from Smithy's (boy did I feel old, these lads looked about 17/18) they seemed to regard ICT as a strong team though I told them our problem was scoring goals, they responded, long may it continue. Like all other teams we need to find a striker that can score 20+ goals a season and right now I don't see anyone who fits that description.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunfermline played really well and deserved the win once they were awarded the somewhat controversial penalty. They gave senior debuts to 6 or 7 players and filled the team with youth. We wasted a great opportunity to progress given our greater experience. Dunfermline went on to show a greater desire to progress. 

On that  penalty, our bench was very animated making it clear to Muir that there was photographic evidence to show that the tackle was outside the box.  - Alan Muir, was the man who missed the Josh Meekings handball against Celtic in the semi final of the Scottish Cup. To be fair to him he looked across at the linesman for guidance before giving the penalty although appeared just yards away from the tackle. Had there been VAR, the tackle was clearly outside the box but Muir made no attempt to actually speak with his assistant despite not being sure himself. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies to Jamie McCart as it was Ricky Calder who was too casual on the far post allowing Callum Smith to get a toe in to score their second. I'm still getting used to the drop in standard since before the start of the season I hadn't been to see ICT for 3 and a half years and I want to say nice things about the team and I understand that this rebuild is going to take time and its all work in progress. I thought Ricky Calder looked a very handy player going forward, strong, quick and can send in some decent crosses, my doubt about him is he consistent enough as a defender?

It was strange, Robbo only mentioned three of the additions as 'alright' Welsh, McCart and White and the rest were rubbish. Calder was rated our equal best player in the P&J along with Polworth.

I think Robbo is trying to motivate this group of players, ask questions of them, see how they react and give him an answer. If they do they will put pressure on the regulars, if they don't then they will be moved on. Some of these players will think Robbo's comments were unfair, well they need to prove him wrong.

Edited by Snafu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Dunfermline played really well and deserved the win once they were awarded the somewhat controversial penalty. They gave senior debuts to 6 or 7 players and filled the team with youth. We wasted a great opportunity to progress given our greater experience. Dunfermline went on to show a greater desire to progress. 

On that  penalty, our bench was very animated making it clear to Muir that there was photographic evidence to show that the tackle was outside the box.  - Alan Muir, was the man who missed the Josh Meekings handball against Celtic in the semi final of the Scottish Cup. To be fair to him he looked across at the linesman for guidance before giving the penalty although appeared just yards away from the tackle. Had there been VAR, the tackle was clearly outside the box but Muir made no attempt to actually speak with his assistant despite not being sure himself. 

 

Dont think he was? It was Steven MacLean? Or was Muir one of the pointless assistants behind the goal? 

I also think the lineman called this and got it very very wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Dont think he was? It was Steven MacLean? Or was Muir one of the pointless assistants behind the goal? 

I also think the lineman called this and got it very very wrong. 

Definitely Steven McLean in the middle. Actually met him 2 weeks ago at a meeting but never got round to thanking him ?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn't miss the Meekings incident, they saw it and judged it as not deliberate or meriting any action.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Snafu said:

My apologies to Jamie McCart as it was Ricky Calder who was too casual on the far post allowing Callum Smith to get a toe in to score their second.

Calder was not exactly casual. He was exposed firstly by very slack play by the midfield gifting the ball to Dunfermline and making little effort to get the ball back, and secondly by McCart who seemed to let the ball run past him when it looked to me to be the easiest thing in the world to have cut the cross out.  Calder was left in the difficult position of knowing that any touch on the ball could have put it in his own net. Calder couldn't quite sort out the mess that his team mates created  but at least he tried. To put the blame on him is very harsh indeed.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JR with Adam Sturrock @Adam5turrock on ICTFC website.  It's pretty harsh.  A bit nonplussed - It can't be a sloppy goal if its a mistaken penalty award?  Regardless,  If the problem is as the interview said,  poor attitude, a lack of motivation, effort and complacency that is indeed worrying.  The last comment that the 7 players may not play again for a long time is also worrying - that's the entire sub bench and there's no-one else.  

Second goal is poor, it was too easy to get that ball across the goal - in hindsight, yes, perhaps Calder could have been more cynical to stop the momentum of Smith, but the ball in was too easy and such a ball is really hard to defend when tracking back to a dangerous ball.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Calder was not exactly casual. He was exposed firstly by very slack play by the midfield gifting the ball to Dunfermline and making little effort to get the ball back, and secondly by McCart who seemed to let the ball run past him when it looked to me to be the easiest thing in the world to have cut the cross out.  Calder was left in the difficult position of knowing that any touch on the ball could have put it in his own net. Calder couldn't quite sort out the mess that his team mates created  but at least he tried. To put the blame on him is very harsh indeed.

Yes looking at the video of the goal you are correct, he put in the effort to get back. McCart almost stopped as if he thought Hoban was going to get it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.