Sign in to follow this  
Fontaines ICT

Black Lives Matter and ICT

Recommended Posts

I don't believe the SPFL have mandated taking the knee before games as the EPL did a few months ago which I feel this is a pity as international solidarity is important. However, I understand there may be a sense of the moment having passed (unfortunately) by the time the season starts in October so understand why our league may not involve themselves in it.

In relation to this, I believe it would be a nice touch if our club made an effort at some point to recognise the contribution of BAME players who have helped to lead us to success in the past. The club has been good at supporting progressive social causes in recent years (Rainbow Laces, mental health etc.), but it would be nice to see something done to recognise those from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds and to make fans from these groups feel even more welcome at the club. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I do agree that it would be a good idea, in some senses, I'd rather not give light to the BLM organisation itself. Their motives are all there, Black lives do matter and something needs to be done about fixing inequality, but the way they go about trying to do it, it's just a big no no.

All the group seems to be is an organized riot movement, early days, it was alright, all peaceful protests, but then they got bored and started burning and looting then screaming about being (rightfully) arrested for their crimes, and it's all gone to pot from there on out. Thankfully it's not been as bad as it has been in the US (London is a close exception).

I'm fully on board with having something to show more recognition to these players, but it'd probably be a bad move to associate ourselves with a group that's renowned for rioting and trying to silence anyone who calls them out on their actions.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ffs what next no club in Scotland should be associated with blm they're a pretty dodgy group besides hardly overrun with BAME up here wtf does that even mean BTW 

  • Disagree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big difference between Black lives matter and the organisation BLM. We need to be careful. I fully support any anti racist stance the club may propose however I won't support anything with links to BLM. If there is a BLM event at the club I and possibly other will not support the event, this does  not mean we are racist but that we don't support BLM. However it could be twisted by others as being racist. Its a minefield now a days when it comes to peoples opinions. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Agent N said:

Big difference between Black lives matter and the organisation BLM. We need to be careful. I fully support any anti racist stance the club may propose however I won't support anything with links to BLM. If there is a BLM event at the club I and possibly other will not support the event, this does  not mean we are racist but that we don't support BLM. However it could be twisted by others as being racist. Its a minefield now a days when it comes to peoples opinions. 

I agree. BLM have become politicised in the UK in a disturbing way.

However, the gesture of taking the knee  is not exclusive to that organisation and is a gesture of recognition that people of colour have been oppressed and badly treated and discriminated against for centuries and, disgracefully, continue to be so.

I hope that our players do take the knee before each match this season not to show support for the BLM organisation but to demonstrate solidarity with the black players that have served us so well over the years and the BAME community locally, nationally and world wide generally.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

Ffs what next no club in Scotland should be associated with blm they're a pretty dodgy group besides hardly overrun with BAME up here wtf does that even mean BTW 

I think that the red dot that I have given this post is the first that I have given this year but I make no apology for doing so.

I did consider hiding this thoroughly offensive post but I would very much prefer that you chose to reconsider and rephrase.

  • Agree 1
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I think that the red dot that I have given this post is the first that I have given this year but I make no apology for doing so.

I did consider hiding this thoroughly offensive post but I would very much prefer that you chose to reconsider and rephrase.

What's offensive about it pal your just looking to be offended eh hide it all you want rephrase what I didn't no what BAME meant oooft shoot me pal how very offensive! Grow up my man or get a thicker skin your obvs easily offended

  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

Black Asian and Minority Ethnics, I think

Is it wonder what minority ethnics cover is an Eastern European covered by that? Who makes up that phrases bet they're coining it in for coming up with pure nonsense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Ffs what next no club in Scotland should be associated with blm they're a pretty dodgy group besides hardly overrun with BAME up here wtf does that even mean BTW 

What's dodgy about wanting to overturn hundreds of years of systemic oppression of black people?

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dougiedanger said:

What's dodgy about wanting to overturn hundreds of years of systemic oppression of black people?

How they gonna manage that by burning shops? There's no time machines my man can't go back and change it! A bit of a joke group tbh tearing down statues etc graffiti on Churchill what's that all about not gonna get sympathy with that behaviour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree with the sentiment of the message I feel that a lot of @rseholes got involved when it became an excuse for  free for all days out in the middle of covid-19 lockdown...not a good look on anyone, and a massive risk to public health.

Edited by Satan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

...hardly overrun with BAME up here...

Yet there is still racism in our community:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2243678/activists-claim-removal-of-black-lives-matter-posters-from-bridge-is-evidence-of-subtle-racism-in-highlands1/amp/

Not to mention our own fanbase's history of anti-gypsy abuse.

The actions of a small minority of protesters pale in comparison to the injustice wrought on these groups for hundreds of years, and doesn't devalue the points the wider movement are making. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

What's offensive about it pal your just looking to be offended eh hide it all you want rephrase what I didn't no what BAME meant oooft shoot me pal how very offensive! Grow up my man or get a thicker skin your obvs easily offended

Communities get 'overrun by rats and other vermin' Communities do not get overrun by decent human beings who are our friends, neighbours, doctors, nurses, restaurateurs and perform many other positive roles in our community.

Once again, I respectfully invite you to reconsider the phrasing of your post.

If your point is that Inverness and the Highlands in general is not particularly ethnically diverse then that is undoubtedly true. Mores the pity in my view but I fail to see why that, in any way, is relevant to the debate.

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Communities get 'overrun by rats and other vermin' Communities do not get overrun by decent human beings who are our friends, neighbours, doctors, nurses, restaurateurs and perform many other positive roles in our community.

Once again, I respectfully invite you to reconsider the phrasing of your post.

If your point is that Inverness and the Highlands in general is not particularly ethnically diverse then that is undoubtedly true. Mores the pity in my view but I fail to see why that, in any way, is relevant to the debate.

Plenty places u can move 2 if your wanting to be more diverse brother Bradford nice this time of year! I'm not debating it bud doesn't put me up or down if Scottish clubs take a knee just seems a bit of bandwagon jumping that's all and really is more of an American attention seeking move! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are feckin eejits on both sides. The opportunistic racially motivated groups / organisations (of all races) have jumped on the bandwagon. Taking the knee should be a personal choice but imagine the furore if a white player declines ?!! In these times I will support AFCAFCWTFWAF. Fontaine - the Gypsy abuse started off as banter and was largely accepted by the Dungwallers. They sang "I would rather be a gypsy than a Tink" back to us. In this modern society is that racial abuse ? In Englandshire I have witnessed similar stupid stickers from other ethnic perspectives. And as for the comment "the oppressed white people of Inverness" - I personally view that as being racist and intimidating. It has been stuck up by a total ersehole - both the post and the poster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Fontaine - the Gypsy abuse started off as banter and was largely accepted by the Dungwallers. They sang "I would rather be a gypsy than a Tink" back to us. In this modern society is that racial abuse ? In Englandshire I have witnessed similar stupid stickers from other ethnic perspectives.

I'm sure the Ross County fans weren't offended, but that's not really the point. To take a topical example, if the team formerly known as the Washington Redskins were playing the Chicago Bears and the Bears fans starting chanting "dirty Indian ********" at the Redskins fans, the Redskins fans probably wouldn't be too bothered. But can you imagine being a Native American at the game or watching on TV?

Anti-traveller racism is clearly a problem in the north of Scotland (see below from prominent elected representative and crap linesman, Douglas Ross) and some of our support have played a part in perpetuating that in the past.

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/1288900494996496385?s=20

The problem is that if it is condoned it inevitably leads to it being viewed as acceptable behaviour amongst a minority of our support and therefore our community in other situations. For example, take this incident where Romanian players were abused purely on the basis of where they were from. The judge didn't view it as banter and rightly so: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/835394/caley-thistle-football-fan-banned-from-every-ground-in-the-uk/

One upside of us not having to play County in recent years is that this sort of thing hasn't got an airing. There's plenty of scope to give them stick without resorting to stuff like this. Just focus on cuddly Uncle Roy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

A fair bit of white guilt going on here poor kingy and the other fella be away demonstrating against the hated whitey! 

Police Scotland better get themselves organised before the demonstrations against the quality of your posts start.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fontaines ICT said:

I'm sure the Ross County fans weren't offended, but that's not really the point. To take a topical example, if the team formerly known as the Washington Redskins were playing the Chicago Bears and the Bears fans starting chanting "dirty Indian ********" at the Redskins fans, the Redskins fans probably wouldn't be too bothered. But can you imagine being a Native American at the game or watching on TV?

Anti-traveller racism is clearly a problem in the north of Scotland (see below from prominent elected representative and crap linesman, Douglas Ross) and some of our support have played a part in perpetuating that in the past.

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/1288900494996496385?s=20

The problem is that if it is condoned it inevitably leads to it being viewed as acceptable behaviour amongst a minority of our support and therefore our community in other situations. For example, take this incident where Romanian players were abused purely on the basis of where they were from. The judge didn't view it as banter and rightly so: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/835394/caley-thistle-football-fan-banned-from-every-ground-in-the-uk/

One upside of us not having to play County in recent years is that this sort of thing hasn't got an airing. There's plenty of scope to give them stick without resorting to stuff like this. Just focus on cuddly Uncle Roy.

Sorry but people living in caravans are not a race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, lightlamp2 said:

Sorry but people living in caravans are not a race.

The courts have held that Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are protected against race discrimination because they’re ethnic groups under the Equality Act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can a moderator close this topic? Or move it to general nonsense?

The less said the better on this one.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sean93 said:

Can a moderator close this topic? Or move it to general nonsense?

The less said the better on this one.

The debate is a valid one which relates to the club and how it or individual players or other members of staff will want to react to a serious and ongoing contemporary issue which, not just football but all professional sport is acknowledging now so, in my view, the thread should remain.

However, if any contributor breaches site rules with unacceptably inflammatory or racist posts then, be assured, appropriate action will be taken.

I think that I have made it abundantly clear that, from a personal perspective, I believe that at least one poster is sailing very close to the wind in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sean93 said:

Can a moderator close this topic? Or move it to general nonsense?

The less said the better on this one.

I agree. Some of the posts on here are embarrassing. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.