FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dargo away next season??

Harry Chibber

GK - I was under the impression that Ridgers was only on loan until the end of the season, and there has been no real indication otherwise.

Defence - definitely need cover

Midfield - agree we are pretty strong here in that we have an abundance of bodies so perhaps this area can be overlooked unless someone startling is available

Attack - I hate to say it, but the evidence is there. Rory may have an abundance of raw talent and may score goals for fun in reserves, training or other non-competitive places but he cannot (yet) do it in the first team. A 7% strike rate - 1 goal every 14 or 15 matches - is simply not good enough. Maybe a summer away with the Scotland U20 squad will improve him ? Maybe the summer break will allow him to recharge his confidence and be his turning point, or maybe he will never fulfill the potential that was expected of him but we have to have at least 4 decent strikers. We currently have 3 with Dargo, Bayne and Wyness but if Dargo leaves, as seems increasingly likely, then we need at least one if not two strikers who can hit the back of the net on a regular basis.

On a positive note ......

John Rankin - after a slow start, is showing why we paid 65K for him. weighing in with important goals and generally very talented. Still drifts in and out of games a bit but good potential.

Markus Paatelainen - my tip for next year's POY !!! - he proves that talent is around in the lower leagues if we look hard enough. He has seemed decent enough in the games he has played and despite only moving up to the SPL recently has weighed in with a couple of decent goals already. Barry Wilson possesses a real threat of scoring goals from the right of midfield, if Markus can do the same from the left and Rankin gets a few from the centre of midfield we will have what a lot of teams want which is a midfield that can score goals !!!

'Decent forwards we have Wyness, McAllister and Bayne '

Harry Harry..  these three players combined have not got into double figures with goals this season. dont think decent is the appropriate word.

Bayne runs about daft jumping and heading the ball to anyone, and will never become prolific in the technique of scoring goals, Rory NEEDS to go on loan to get some kind of confidence back so we can see if he is a player, and Denzil is now in danger of becoming a half season player.

As i said before the game this close season will be the real test for CC, i think he will do ok IF he can pull in a couple of good players.

Depends on your opinion, for me Bayne is one of the best target men in the SPL at the moment and has more than proved his worth this season (although I would like to see some more goals from him).  Wyness has been unlucky with injury over the last 2 seasons but thankfully they have been different injuries so shouldn't be a problem in the future and IMO can be top drawer when match fit.  Argueably the best we have played this season was with Bayne and Wyness up top.

McAllister will come good I guarentee it .... he needs to get as many first team oppertunities as possible but as soon as he scores 1 his confidence will go sky high

think we do need a goal scorer but so do half the teams in the SPL so it wont be easy, if I was CC I would be scouting the Irish leagues

"McAllister will come good I guarentee it .... he needs to get as many first team oppertunities as possible but as soon as he scores 1 his confidence will go sky high"

he already scored one this season against motherwell.. heres his overall record for ict

since he signed in 1/1/2005

League Game- Played 6 (28) Goals 1

Scottish Cup - Played 2 (3) Goals 1

League Cup- Played 1 (4) Goals 1

just to be fair, heres wyness, bayne and dargos aswell

Dargs-

signed 13/06/2005   

League- P 51 (4) G's 24

S Cup- P 4 (1) G's 4

L Cup - P 3 (0) G's 1

Wyness (IN SPL!)

20/8/2005 on a season long loan then signed 24/5/2006

League - P 32 (14) G's 9

S Cup - P 5 (0) G's 2

L Cup - P 3 (0) G;s 2

Bayne

signed 1/07/04   

League - P 65 (23) G's 13

S Cup - P 4 (2) G's 1

L Cup- P 4 (1) G's 1

"McAllister will come good I guarantee it .... he needs to get as many first team op pertunities as possible but as soon as he scores 1 his confidence will go sky high"

he already scored one this season against motherwell.. heres his overall record for ict

since he signed in 1/1/2005

just to be fair, heres wyness, bayne and dargos aswell

Dargs-

signed 13/06/2005 

League- P 51 (4) G's 24

S Cup- P 4 (1) G's 4

L Cup - P 3 (0) G's 1

Wyness (IN SPL!)

League - P 32 (14) G's 9

S Cup - P 5 (0) G's 2

L Cup - P 3 (0) G;s 2

Bayne

signed 1/07/04 

S Cup - P 4 (2) G's 1

L Cup- P 4 (1) G's 1

Is this when we go on to compare willie sizes again?

Do you just scour the board each day waiting for a post I make so you can try and start an argument?

I forgot his goal against Motherwell, from the goals he has scored in the reserves it certainly shows he knows where the net is but he seems to lack the confidence when he gets his chance in the first team and that extra second of composure isn't there.  I think there is something there with McAllister and at his age having the phsyique is half the battle, I could be wrong but I will be first to admit it if he doesn't turn good.

anyway this has gone off topic

McAllister-

Dargs-

signed 13/06/2005 

League- P 51 (4) G's 24

S Cup- P 4 (1) G's 4

L Cup - P 3 (0) G's 1

Wyness (IN SPL!)

League - P 32 (14) G's 9

S Cup - P 5 (0) G's 2

L Cup - P 3 (0) G;s 2

Bayne

signed 1/07/04 

S Cup - P 4 (2) G's 1

L Cup- P 4 (1) G's 1

Based on the figures above ......

Strike Rates

McAllister - 3 in 44 (6.82%) 1 in every 14.66 games

Dargo - 29 in 63 (46.03%) - 1 in every 2.17 games

Wyness - 13 in 54 (24.07%) - 1 every 4.15 games

Bayne -  15 in 99 (15.15 %) - 1 in every 6.60 games

To be fair to McAllister, he has started fewer games than the rest, and his sub appearances have tended to be shorter than the rest (5 or 10 minutes) so the huge gulf in strike rates may not be a totally fair reflection but it is clear that we only have one prolific scorer, two others who can find the net and one who needs to find the net or move on.

its actually just coincidence that i was on the soccerbase website this afternoon.  when you said rory will benifit from a goal i was sure he had scored one and went off to check.

i was reading this topic for the first time as id noticed itd reached 2 pages, i knew id have nothing to say on it from the off, or what little opinion i did have would just be a repeat of something somebody else said, which has happened.. so ive said nothing about dargo!

i thought the stats above wouldve been of general interest to the topic as a whole, you take everything so personally harold you need to relax

if we are going to be pedantic, he actually scored TWO this season  :023:

09/09/06 V Motherwell (SPL)

23/08/06 V Dumbarton (League Cup)

and his other one

07/01/06 V Ayr United (Scottish Cup)

so his strike rate for last year was 1 in 18 !!! but for this year its 2 in 22 which is a bit better ....

however, to get back on topic ... if Dargo goes, then the answer is a proven striker if we can find one and not Rory (by all means 'develop' the lad as one for the future, perhaps by letting him go on loan to a team in the first or second (sure Pele could get the best out of him) but his confidence is currently at zero and even if its true we are not helping by pointing all this out on an Internet forum so I am going to try and say no more ;) )

its actually just coincidence that i was on the soccerbase website this afternoon.  when you said rory will benifit from a goal i was sure he had scored one and went off to check.

i was reading this topic for the first time as id noticed itd reached 2 pages, i knew id have nothing to say on it from the off, or what little opinion i did have would just be a repeat of something somebody else said, which has happened.. so ive said nothing about dargo!

i thought the stats above wouldve been of general interest to the topic as a whole, you take everything so personally harold you need to relax

fair enough

If Dargo does go, which looks likely, we'll need someone with pace upfront for a different option if nothing else.  I'm interested to see how good the boy Woods is.

I wonder if it hadn't been to the injuries to Wyness & Dargo that Rory might have been sent out on loan this season.

The Under-21 player rule which in principal sounds like a good idea could be argued to hinder the progress of some of our younger players!! You would think that the likes of Rory, Sutherland and Soane would probably learn more playing week in week out in the 3rd Division or even Highland League rather than sitting on the bench each week with virtually no chance of getting a game.

I think we could/should be looking at bringing in 2 defenders and at least one new front man come the close season

Rory knows very well that he falls short when it comes to SPL. He can score in reserves but is finding the pace of the spl difficult to get used to. He is, however, working hard to overcome this. He goes in for extra coaching with DP, is practising his shooting and I believe he will come good given the chance. Not sure that a loan spell will work with him. He needs to get to grips with SPL. And lets not forget, he is just 19.

Rory knows very well that he falls short when it comes to SPL. He can score in reserves but is finding the pace of the spl difficult to get used to. He is, however, working hard to overcome this. He goes in for extra coaching with DP, is practising his shooting and I believe he will come good given the chance. Not sure that a loan spell will work with him. He needs to get to grips with SPL. And lets not forget, he is just 19.

Thats why I dont want to keep being negative about him. Unlike previous 'starlets' such as Martin Bavidge, I believe Rory has a chance at the top level .... but its probably as frustrating for him as it is for us that things havent clicked for him yet. A loan spell worked wonders for Barry Robson, he came back from Forfar brimming with confidence - even if he didnt like the idea to begin with - and look at him now ... captain of an established SPL side and on the verge of a Scotland call-up (or should be).

Guest Arab4Ever

Thats why I dont want to keep being negative about him. Unlike previous 'starlets' such as Martin Bavidge, I believe Rory has a chance at the top level .... but its probably as frustrating for him as it is for us that things havent clicked for him yet. A loan spell worked wonders for Barry Robson, he came back from Forfar brimming with confidence - even if he didnt like the idea to begin with - and look at him now ... captain of an established SPL side and on the verge of a Scotland call-up (or should be).

Robson would almost certainly be if he didnt have such a ridiculous disciplinary record

I have to agree with Scotty that perhaps a loan spell would be good for Rory and have been saying that all season.  His performances have been disappointing and his body language even looks all wrong now.  He now looks discouraged and disheartened too often.

It's far too early to write the lad off but a different approach to his football career seems called for.  A year at the Pele Football Academy might do the job.