FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Where in the world do you live...?

Johnboy

I live in Latvia, actually Riga . It is a lovely town sometimes spoilt by drunks from England on stag runs, (thank you ryan air)

Cost  of living , my 2 bed apartment, is 200 GBP per month, plus the usual phone,gas, electric.

I live near the sea, 12 kms to get to a good beach and the toll to get there is 1gbp.

What else, been all around the world, but here now is home. We have snow but they are so used to it they cope. Having said that , so far this year, no snow, maybe I should cancel jingle bells.

Trouble here is rampant inflation, old people live on a basic pension of150GBP. young people who want to work shrug their shoulders and go to Ireland/ England.

My job here is secure, well paid and 2 year contract signed yesterday, (in this country you must have a signed paper)

So my brief info on Latvia

Over the last few years I have lived in both Germany and now Bulgaria while I have worked on various projects.

In the late 90's I decided I had enough of England and moved to Essen (Rot Weiss Essen were the biggest of the local teams) as the company I work for had a new project there.  It is an industrial town nestled in the Ruhrgerbeit in the North West of Germany but within easy travelling distance of Dusseldorf, Koln, Bonn, Gilsenkirchen, Bochum and Dortmund. The transport systems within Germany are excellent so getting around is not a problem.  As my first introduction to Germany I was presently surprised by both the people and the country.  I really enjoyed my time in Essen and would recommend Germany as a holiday or footballing destination to anyone.  Like most places in Germany festivals are part of the all year round culture and some of the best in Essen are the Ruhr in Flammen at the end of June, the annual street party/festival and the christmas markets - although the best markets I have been to are in Dusseldorf, Nurnberg, Munich and Frankfurt. 

Wm2000_2211_57611.jpg

Favourite Irish Pub - Fritzpatrick's Irish Pub

Overall Verdict:  :021:  :021:  :021:  :clapping03:

Then when that project finished I moved to another project in Frankfurt am Main  the home of Eintracht Frankfurt with their good old red and black stripes.  Frankfurt is located a lot further south and is a lot more like London in many ways (it is the financial capital of Germany) and has a very multi-cultural feel about it compared with Essen which felt more German.  Another city with many great festivals through the year - Museumsuferfest (Museums Riverbank Festival - about 3m people in 3 days - best festival I have been to), Wolkenkratzer Festival (Festival of skyscrapers) and the Sound of Frankfurt festival.  It is a great city to work in and also for a short break - especially at christmas when the markets are on.  As well as the nearby Wurzburg, Heidelberg and the Black Frest it is also a great location for visiting both France and Switzerland as both are easily accesible by road and the cities of Zurich and Strasbourg can be visited for weekends.

268px-Ffm-skyline008.jpg

Favourite Irish Pub - An Sibin

Overall verdict -  :021:  :021:  :021:  :021:

After a short time back in the UK in London and Manchester I moved to Bulgaria in 2005 to work on another project in Sofia.  I must admit that apart from that it used to be behind the Iron Curtain and that I had heard of CSKA Sofia and Georgi Markov I didn't know a lot about Bulgaria before I came (I now know a lot more including that it is the highest capital city in Europe).  I am glad I did as it has been interesting seeing how the country has changed since 2005 and still is changing.  Sofia is the capital and there has definitely been an increase in tourism to the city especially since joining the EU at the start of 2007.  The CSKA v Levski derbies were an introduction to East European football fervour, as was a riot at the Bulgarian Cup Final in 2006 and the great Champions League and UEFA Cup nights in 2005 and 2006.  The city has many great sites and with the major improvements in the roads and other infrastructure the weekend journeys to the ski-slopes in the winter months are easier but the suicidal Bulgarian driving culture is still a major risk associated with any road trip.  Other drawbacks are the ever present black BMW/Mercedes crew who still make their presence felt but thankfully they are more content killing each other nowadays, the ongoing corruption still prevelant in certain parts of society, and the smog that the city quite frequently suffers from.  Having said that the people are very warm and hospitable and I made some good friends in the city - and they do like to have a few wee drinks.  The favoured tipple Rakia = a clear Whisky that numbs the parts other spirits can't reach  :001:

120px-NevskiCathedral.jpg

Favourite Irish Pub - JJ Murphy's

Overall verdict -  :021: :021: :clapping03: :024:

At the start of this year I moved across to the Black Sea Coast (Varna) which was a pleasant change from the traffic craziness in Sofia (as with most capital cities).  Varna is a great little town and everything is easily accessibble by foot (only real draw-back is the football is dire - think Arbroath  :029: and that is probably doing Arbroath an injustice).  The town is more better known for the UK holiday destination of Golden Sands just to the North and Sunny Beach to the South outside Burgas.  These areas though are mostly habitated in the summer by European tourists and only the more wealthier of Bulgarians (in the winter they are ghost towns with everything boarded up for the winter storms).  Although cheaper than the UK the prices in the resorts are about 3 times more expensive than the bars and clubs that pop up on Varna beach during the summer months and this where all the locals go.  Many evenings were had on the ?1 Mojitos and 60p Beers.  If anybody is coming to Varna on a summer package holiday I can recommend that they get in a taxi and head for the Sea Garden in Varna City Centre where a far better (and cheaper evening will be had).  The beaches are excellent but the only draw-back is that when you live here all year round you can see the environmental damage that is being done by the continuous over-development. 

250px-Varna_Plage.JPG

Favourite Irish Pub - O'Neill's

Overall verdict -  :021: :021: :021: :clapping03:

If anybody has the chance to visit either I would recommend both but Germany I prefer and if I get the chance I would work there again.

• 10 months later...

Moved from 93 Kenneth St. to 70 Kenneth St. to St. Andrew Drive to Dores Avenue to Cullaird Rd. to Torbreck Rd to Holm Dell Place. Always been quite happy in Inverness!

...but never settled. :rotflmao:

Moved from 93 Kenneth St. to 70 Kenneth St. to St. Andrew Drive to Dores Avenue to Cullaird Rd. to Torbreck Rd to Holm Dell Place. Always been quite happy in Inverness!

...but never settled. :thumb04:

nahh, just trying to keep one step ahead of the bailiffs LOL :rotflmao:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I now reside in chilly Warsaw, Poland.

Although i'm freezing my nadgers off it's a great city and very westernised now.? The downside about living outside Scotland is missing the footie every Saturday with your mates....we have Legia and Polonia Warsaw here but they are terrible, it's like watching a 2nd div match in Scotland i.e County? :rotflmao:

Well from Latviaman,

I flew with British Airways, in the time when we got a late slot at Riga, and there I met the still love of my life. So what does one do, so I applied to Air Baltic and was accepted, learned Russian, although English as you well orientated people know is the recognised ATC language

Been here 4+ years now, and lve it to bits , now a Senior Captain, we have even bought a Scotch terrier!!!