FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Standing up for ourselves

Doofer

Just heard that morton are demanding 250K from motherwell for 1 of their playes, jim mcalister i think. If they are wanting that much for a division 1 player then ICT shoud have been wanting 400-500K for rankin. We are not a little club anymore and we should be letting clubs think we are by selling are players for far under there valuation, 110K for rankin, very bad deal by ICT. Our players are worth more than that.

You're bang on doofer, please correct me if i'm wrong but I think we "set the bar" at a level around what we paid for him by saying something silly along the lines of we must get our money back at least.

If we had initially said you want Rankin, who's an established premier league player, he will cost you ?220k. Who's to say we would not have settled for 150K?

One could certainly argue this was not a clever piece of business. I cringed when I heard our "opening " remarks when buyers were first looking. 

Guest Spectre

The problem is that the club said he could go in the January window a few months back, which implies you'd let him go on a free.  Then we changed our mind.

What the club should have done was to say, rankin is available, he is worth 200k or whatever, come and get him. They shouldnt have said well as long as we get our money back that will be ok.  If other spl clubs can sell there players for 2-300K + then why cant we, players like rankin, black, marius, duncan, munro are all worth 200k at least in my opinion as they are established spl players. We get bullied when clubs want our players and we let them go for way under what they are worth.

The problem is that the club said he could go in the January window a few months back, which implies you'd let him go on a free.   Then we changed our mind.

No, it implies that we would be willing to sell him rather than keep him tied to his contract.

I think the fee we got for Rankin was a good bit of business. He was a much over-rated player in my opinion, and was only in the team of late to get him in the "shop window".

He came in at 65,000 and went out at 110,000. So the Caley Thistle Bar has been raised and now sets a new higher standard. Give ICT a  little time to mature and find their "ranking" here. Rome wasn't built in a day.

If we continue to climb up the table you can be sure that Rankin's fee will appear a pauper's bauble compared to what we will get in due course.

But some punters on here make some good points too. :022: