FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Martin Taylor - accident or scumbag ?

Scotty

Arsenal's Eduardo Da Silva suffered a horrendous leg break today in their game against Birmingham. A few photos can be seen here [ http://scotzine.com/blog/?p=185 ] but SKY have said they will not show the video footage and Arsene Wenger called for Taylor - who was instantly red carded - to be banned for the game for life ......

your thoughts ?

Just seen the photos you posted. Can't bair to look at them again. something needs to be taken against the lad as his studs are half way up eduardos leg. looking at them i'd be suprised if he is able to play again.

Looks absolutely horrendous... The tackle was made just 3 minutes into the game so it's not like it was the result of a personal feud between the two players...

I don't know anything about Taylor. Does he have a history of causing serious injury to opposing players?

As Jamieb says it looks unlikely that Eduardo will play again.

Definitely a strong case for a "sine die" suspension.

Guest TinCanFan

Pics look awful and makes me feel kinda sick.  Can't imagine how the Arsenal bloke feels or the Birmingham guy for that matter who apparently is very upset.  Weirdly McLeish has since said that he doesn't think that there was much contact!

As a Birmingham fan i would say he shouldn't be banned for life . . . He isn't a dirty player and certainly wouldn't of meant to harm Eduardo.

Ok it was a f****n shocking tackle and definite  :33: but the boy looked distraught when he was walking down the tunnel.

An extended ban to say 8-10 games would be suitable but a lifetime ban is a bit OTT.

Look at Roy Keane on Alf Inge Haaland a few years back . . he deliberately did that due to a personal feud and was he banned for life? . . . No.

As was already said looking at a different angle on video is the best way of seeing it properly. A still image can always look a lot worse. You're taking a split second of something that happened at pace, so the photos are always going to look worse than video. You can take frames from any video if you're selective enough and change the entire context of it.  The photo shows the studs hitting the shin but half a second before that was the boot in line with where the ball was and Eduardo just got there first?

With that said, at best it's a very poor tackle and at worst, if it was intentional, it's an absolute disgrace.

My first thoughts on seeing the challenge was it is an unfortunate mis-timed tackle. An I stick by that thought.

There have been few challenges that are aimed at ending another players career (such as Roy Keane on Haaland) and this was not one of them.

Yes the studs were showing, but I think it seemed like a fair attempt to get the ball.

I only hope Eduardo recovers. As much as I hate Arsenal, he is a class act to watch.

Sky Sports News saying it was so bad that they aren't going to show the challenge.

That could well end his career and if it does it should end Taylor's too.  He wasn't provoked or anything like that and supposidly didn't make an effort to pull away or anything.  So if it ends Eduardo's career it should end his too.

Sky Sports News saying it was so bad that they aren't going to show the challenge.

That could well end his career and if it does it should end Taylor's too.  He wasn't provoked or anything like that and supposidly didn't make an effort to pull away or anything.  So if it ends Eduardo's career it should end his too.

They showed the tackle from the pitchside view but aren't showing close ups cause it looks pretty bad.

How should it end Taylor's career?!

Accidents happen . . and if he' getting paid X Grand a week to be defending his side then he's not going to pull out of challenges is he?!

That?ll be guilty then Roscoe23.

Your post reads as though you haven?t seen the tackle but you call for a lifetime ban.

Thank goodness our police wouldn?t jump to such conclusions!

It is not possible to ban somebody ?sine die? for one misdemeanour. Nor should it be.

Having seen the video (from several angles) I'm not convinced the tackle was performed with any "intent" and it doesn't appear to have been that hard a tackle.  The still shots are very misleading and the video shows that Taylor got contact on the ball and his foot slid over the top of it - hence the reason his foot was so high.

As someone who has suffered horrendous injury through sport (twice) I know just how easily these things can happen.  Even the most innocent of tackles can lead to serious injury and we shouldn't be so quick to brand the player a "thug" or any such thing.

I?ve seen dozens of dangerous tackles (What a Carry On!) recently, are you advocating that each and every one of them should be penalised by a sanction of 10 or more games?

" are you advocating that each and every one of them should be penalised by a sanction of 10 or more games?"

If they are as bad as that...then yes

It wasnt even that bad though . . it was f****n accidental!!

Committed the challenge . . Eduardo plays the ball away . . Taylor makes slight contact with the ball but goes right through Eduardos shin!

Don?t know about that DeeDee, it took him 3 seconds into a game in 1987 to get cautioned!

Now there was a unashamed thug and bully.

I recall the Spurs right back ? Gary Stevens(?) - getting his knee snapped by him in a quite ridiculous testosterone fuelled launch.

Also Eboue has been effin disgusting with the challenges in the last few weeks!!

He got his come-uppance last week with a  :33: against Utd but before then he had some pretty horrible challenges . . I wonder if Wenger would have been so quick to critiscise him had he severely injured someone . . ??