FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gretna Documentary

RiG

I see the BBC are screening the first of a 2 part documentary on the rise of Gretna tonight.

Might be interesting to tune into and see what is said about Scotlands newest fairytale club though it might be hard not to want to punch Alexander in the face.

BBC 2 9pm

Follow Gretna's fairytale season from their strong links to the local community, their promotion to Division 1 and getting to the final of the Scottish Cup. Gretna have confounded their critics with their David and Goliath style successes both on and off the pitch. See Gretna living their dream.

I'm working but I'll definitely tape it. I spoke to Brooks Mileson again on Friday and he really is a top guy. His attitude is second to none. Turning down an invite by Vladimir Romanov to go to Tynecastle because he has to feed his animals. Excellent. As usual he will be with the fans on Saturday - he just won't do the director/suit thing. Shows he is in it from the heart rather than for any hidden agenda.

I have had to phone the club a few times for tickets etc and the staff are all the same, they love the club and their jobs within it. They are all footie fans and are really friendly. Really refreshing. I hope they don't lose that as they come through the ranks, because if I'm honest that's what I think we have lost at ICT.

Guest Realjags

Not sure I can watch this without wanting to vomit. May try to watch then turn it off at the first mention of "fairytale" so that should be about 5 seconds in.

If Mileson is such an "ordinary" fan then why did he rush onto the pitch at the end of the semi?

Also, no wonder the staff love their jobs, if they're anything like the team they are getting paid megabucks over what they should be!

It's not exactly an average fan thing to do!
mmm, seem to remember a few hundred Partick fans, Livingston Fans and St Mirren Fans doing it on our patch when they won the league !!!

Guest Realjags

That was everyone though and that was actually your average fans!

Not some rich guy pretending to be a football fan for the year coming down from sitting with "fellow supporters" with the tv cameras following him all the way!

Just watched it as I was working last night. The really are a revelation. Good luck to them.

Another spooky moment though - what was the name of the programme that followed - LITTLE ANGELS. A programme about a family with triplets. :001:

During HM4 the rise of Gretna was mentioned and the question raised as to their SPL status - should it happen. Just imagine - a HM to/from Gretna! If we have to walk to Gretna I'll go from Coventry - it's nearer.

Inv - Gretna = 238 miles

Cov - Gretna = 218 miles.

I didn't watch it but I believe this line was muttered by BM "It's not because of my money, it's all down to the gaffer getting these players in" but then he goes and says the following "I've spent a lot of money here that I'll never see a return on....some people spend millions on yachts and what have you, I spend it on a football club".

Also it turns out that they offered Canning 3 times what he was on at Coutny to sign for them and have offered a player £1,300 p/w to sign for them.

Now I don't have a problem with the amount of money because it is Milesons and he can do what he wants with it. What I am sick of hearing though is the rubbish spouted by Alexander, Mileson and anyone else who trys to claim the success is not down to money when, I am sorry, it clearly is.

Fair play to them, they are doing nothing wrong but to say their success is not down to the money being poured in just doesn't wash I'm sorry.

Read an article this morning online somewhere that the only player they have paid money for this season was Steve Tosh and that was only £20,000. They haven't paid big money for players but they do earn good money and it looks like they are in for a mega bonus. He said that he never tells them what their bonus will be as they trust him to do well by them.

TIMES ARTICLE HERE

Mileson believes his team — the first one from the third tier of Scottish football to reach the cup final — can grow even more but he tires of the label that Gretna have bought their way to two success.

“That pisses me off,” Mileson said. “Rowan does not get the credit he deserves. This cup final side has only had one player in it that we’ve paid cash for and that was £20,000 to Aberdeen for Steven Tosh. We have brought in Alan Jenks and Martin Canning [from Stranraer and Ross County] with an eye to next season.

He is right but he is also forgetting about some of the guys the bought in that aren't in that Cup side. Bingham cost about 35k for them and not many 3rd division sides can afford that plus the wages and bonuses they are on. Canning cost about 50k I think.

When Tosh moved to Gretna they were in the 3rd Divison weren't they? That means they were able to rival an SPL contract offer when they were in the 3rd Divison - how many Div 3 sides can do that?

I don't have a problem with them spending that money but what I have a problem with is when they try and say it has nothing to do with the amount of money going into the club and that they deserve more credit when they are already getting plenty of it as it stands.

Guest Realjags

Despite Mileson failing to recognise that the little he has spent on players is still considerably more than anyone else can afford this it not what annoys me. It is claiming that they don't spend big on players when they are on ridiculous bonus schemes. The Herald had them in the top six for wages in Scotland.

Don't forget, it's not about the money.... they would just be "unsustainable" with out it.

I agree with you RIG. They would not be there without the money, in fact I doubt very much if they would have done half as well as Peterhead without the money.

Brook's seems like a lovely man and I do like his attitude and style, as has been said he's earnt the money so let him do what he wants with it, it is his.

What I don't understand however is that there is no doubt that his money will not last forever, a long time maybe but not forever and when the money runs out Gretna does not have the fan base to sustain a team paying the wages they were paying in the 3rd, nevermind where they might end up. My point is if Brook's wanted to put his money into a football club why not do it somewhere where his influence and cash would make a lasting difference? If he invested a lot of his money at a club like Hibs or Aberdeen (these are just examples) he could put these clubs in a position that would be of long term benifit to the Scottish game. I would certainly appreciate that more than what he is doing at Gretna. Despite Vlad at Hearts being a complete phsyco dictator I have loved seeing someone challenge the old and infirm. Brook's money could be better used at a different team for the long term benifit of our game and he would be leaving a legacy that would (hopefully) last as well.

Still as has been said it is his money all power to him, at least he is enjoying it.

I have to confess I rather enjoyed it too. Unless Mileson did a real snow job, he comes across as a genuine down to earth fan and sponsors loads of teams.

Let Gretna have their spell in the sun. Even if it's embarrassing that a wee team with no fans can reach our national cup final.

Of course, it's easy not to be bitter when, unlike other teams, Gretna have never whupped ICT by 5 goals :015: :015: :015: :015: :015: :015:

mmm, seem to remember a few hundred Partick fans, Livingston Fans and St Mirren Fans doing it on our patch when they won the league !!!

I must have missed the £ivi fans- that's the problem with having all those players on the pitch :015: :015: :015: :015:

2nd part was tonight. Did anyone catch it? I forgot all about it as I had to go to work. My nice family noticed and taped it for me so I'll watch it in the morning

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to figure out yet how Gretna - a club from a town of 3,000 souls - managed to bring 10,000 supporters to the Scottish Cup Final? Even if they emptied out all the old folks homes and graveyards they would still be well short of the 10,000 mark.

Perhaps Carlisle has adopted them as their very own diddy team – just like so many Invernessians do for R*ss C**nty?