FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rockness

Guest ictdave

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brilliant event, by far one of best events ive been to and have been to t in the park etc...met alot of ppl there who didnt like the kind of music played but were changed by the end of the nite, everyone was up for it and camp site was jus as good, jus wish it had been on bit longer

basically everyone that went enjoyed it, it got 5 star reviews everywhere you looked, it was the biggest and best event ever to happen in the Highlands, brilliant for the local economy, just a shame this forum has a few sad individuals with a totally negative attitude towards it!

Ignore the Bitter Bills whatever they say dance music is huge and Rockness will be becak bigger and better next year!!

I'd have just preferred if they'd had a better selection of music. It was called 'Rockness' and I didn't notice much rock on the bill! I admit it was good for local economy, shame the music was crap  :004:

The music wasn't crap though, it suited the occasion and I doubt you'll hear any complaints from anyone who went. More of the same next year, lets see thousands of happy people all dancing to the same great tunes rather than the Hamish scenario of an handful of spotty teenagers in a field staring at their shoes.

basically everyone that went enjoyed it, it got 5 star reviews everywhere you looked, it was the biggest and best event ever to happen in the Highlands, brilliant for the local economy, just a shame this forum has a few sad individuals with a totally negative attitude towards it!

Ignore the Bitter Bills whatever they say dance music is huge and Rockness will be becak bigger and better next year!!

I'd have just preferred if they'd had a better selection of music. It was called 'Rockness' and I didn't notice much rock on the bill! I admit it was good for local economy, shame the music was crap  :004:

I take it then that you didn't go after you looked at the lineup and decided the music was crap...I suppose that could be expected considering you think SOAD ( Sod Off And Die??) are the greatest band in the world at the moment, (in your humble opinion) . I expect you are still a bit wet behind the ears and will surely grow out of the liking for one dimensional heavy guitar combos sooner or later . I hope you start enjoying yourself on that day .

Funny thing is , although it was called Rock-Ness , and there wasn't any 'rock' on the bill there were plenty of rockin' tunes and overall the whole place did in fact 'Rock'. :017:

I take it then that you didn't go after you looked at the lineup and decided the music was crap...I suppose that could be expected considering you think SOAD ( Sod Off And Die??) are the greatest band in the world at the moment, (in your humble opinion) . I expect you are still a bit wet behind the ears and will surely grow out of the liking for one dimensional heavy guitar combos sooner or later . I hope you start enjoying yourself on that day .

Funny thing is , although it was called Rock-Ness , and there wasn't any 'rock' on the bill there were plenty of rockin' tunes and overall the whole place did in fact 'Rock'. :017:

My taste in music is very broad but doesn't (generally) include dance music. I think that people who come out with dance music have just realised one day that they can't write songs or play an instrument. Nothing left but to get on a turn-table or a PC! I just like music that pleases me (including folk, rock, country, classical) but NOTHING on the bill at Rockness would have. The range of music available there was very one dimensional and therefore not appealing to a lot of people. And I like the idea of still being 'wet behind the ears' - that's made my day! As you were...

P.S. One other major factor in not going to Rockness was that I live in California. Where there is a wide selection of live music. Since I've been here I've seen Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, Rev Horton Heat, SOAD, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, George Thorogood, Junior Brown (the latter being the best live musician I've ever seen).

LOL safety failings!!!! No CCTV and the Police thought their tent wasn't big enough. Hardly life or death! Looks like they're just trying to make a fuss out of nothing, maybe if the crowd had consisted of 20 thousand drunk thrash metal fans they would have something to worry about.

I loved the comment that says 'the day before they noticed the control centre wasn't there'. Good to see they were alert to the safety procedures then!  :015:

They probably just wanted more room for donought storage.

The 2 female police officers giving it laldy in the chill out tent probably appreciated the lack of a control centre too  :015:

Personally I think if the Police feel unable to properly police an event, they should just stay at home instead! Rockness didn't need them and we'd all save on our council tax bills by not having to pay their overtime.  :003:

I think that people who come out with dance music have just realised one day that they can't write songs or play an instrument. Nothing left but to get on a turn-table or a PC!

For that comment alone I will laugh off anything else you say as your knowledge of music is clearly zero!

I think that people who come out with dance music have just realised one day that they can't write songs or play an instrument. Nothing left but to get on a turn-table or a PC!

For that comment alone I will laugh off anything else you say as your knowledge of music is clearly zero!

Apart from my formal training in classical guitar  :006: You see, when you actually do know something about music you realise that the majority of dance 'music' is not very difficult to manufacture. And I have heard a lot of dance music as I used to work in an underground dance club (metaphorically and literally) in Aberdeen that booked many so-called big name DJs etc.

Its a bit of a shame Hamish that with all your training and extensive experience that you don't have any taste to go along with it! In fact, any sort of musical training is wasted on folk who can't properly listen to music, your comment about "there being nothing left but to get on a turntable or PC"  just shows the extent of your ignorance! How's your mullet going down in California?

The mullet's coming along fine, thank-you! How's yours?  :001: If you hadn't got it, my "there being nothing left but to get on a turntable or PC" comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek. Although many a true word is said in jest! But I think you'd find that my taste in music is broader than most peoples (look at the range of artists I've seen live over here). It's just that, in comparison, dance music (to me at least) is not all that talented. Dance 'musicians' generally do not spend many hours per day practicing playing their instrument. That's where a real undxerstanding of music comes from. As you were...

The fact you're completely dismissing a whole music genre without properly listening to it says a lot Hamish. And I don't think your taste in music as listed is particularly broad, seems you like american teenage thrash, some old rockers and a bit of country. Hmmm.

I would say I have a broad taste in music because Im prepared to listen to anything, and I don't have preconceived ideas about what I expect the music to sound like or go by how many hours were spent practising scales - a good tune is a good tune and if you're not prepared to accept that across the board then you have a very narrow "taste" in music.

The fact you're completely dismissing a whole music genre without properly listening to it says a lot Hamish. And I don't think your taste in music as listed is particularly broad, seems you like american teenage thrash, some old rockers and a bit of country. Hmmm.

I would say I have a broad taste in music because Im prepared to listen to anything, and I don't have preconceived ideas about what I expect the music to sound like or go by how many hours were spent practising scales - a good tune is a good tune and if you're not prepared to accept that across the board then you have a very narrow "taste" in music.

Mee, you seem to have the habit of making stuff up! At no stage have I intimated that I haven't listened to dance music. And, if you read CAREFULLY, you'll see that I don't dismiss all of it. Some of it, as in all music genres, is good. The Prodigy immediately spring to mind. I have actually extensively listened to the dance music (not always through choice!) and am able to come to the informed opinion that I don't like the majority of it. And I have my theories as to why I don't like the majority of it; not least that given it is a very trend-driven genre the pashion for the music is therefore not always the primary reason why people play it. You need the passion for music for what you compose to be good I think. And, as far as I'm aware, you're still allowed to have your own opinions in the UK.

Also, it might appear that your contemporary knowledge of music is somewhat lacking! SOAD are "american teenage thrash"?  :015: Firstly, the term 'thrash' was relevant in the late 80s/ early 90s and, secondly, that's FAR from what SOAD are! I suggest you listen to them before pigeon-holeing them. You should also listen to the new Tool album, it's very good.

I have listened to SOAD unfortunately and my opinion remains that only someone lacking in taste would buy their stuff. Of course you can have an opinion but if you're going to say my opinion's carp then the least you can expect is an argument back! Maybe you should go for a wee lie down and put on your Willie Nelson cds.

TM4TJ, there are dance tents at Glastonbury too and DJs play sets just like they do at Rockness amd T. I saw the Chemical Brothers at a wee soundstage at Glastonbury some years ago and they had a huge crowd giving it laldy, that was one of my fave moments, and they were "just playing records". Don't remember David Bowie's audience having such an intense time or enjoying themselves half as much!

As you obviously have no taste in music, probably stinted by licking wet nettles, there is no argument to uphold. Dance music is not just about music, there is a lot of baggage that goes along with it, as unfortunately there is with other music genres. I can tap my feet along to some of the rhythms, they have a reasonable beat, but comparing them to musicians is just ludicrous. Most music types are just fads, call it what you like, but will dance music have the same cult following as the classic rock legends that we remember today. Dance music is just that, music for dancing to, borne out of the old style disco tripe. Everyone to their own thing, but everyone has their own opinions on music, just as Hamish prefers rocky stuff , why should he be told to like dance music, it's like the English media telling us we must support England during the world cup.

Me, I can listen to most music, but would not go out of my way purchase some garbage. Music is something which can grip you in the moment, everyone has let their hair down that bit further even when hearing music they would not normally bop to, it is like a drug, or even alcohol, but in the morning when the effects wear off so does the music and we revert to type, for the sake of our street cred. Thank goodness for that.

Live and let live, and get your wet nettles ready.