FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The ones that got away?

Yngwie

We've had loads of trialists, especially in the last few seasons. Where are they now? Have there been any that we should be kicking ourselves for letting go? Not that I can think of anyway.

I've looked up a couple of the more memorable names.

Giany Joinville was a big defender who was here 2 years ago I think, as a potential replacement for Dods (we got McGuire instead.....). He seems to be at Libourne St Seurin in the French 3rd division. Their club badge is a penguin kicking a ball.

Adriano Pellegrino was a young Australian forward who had a trial just before our first SPL season. He is now at Perth Glory (along with Eugene Dadi). He initially went to Greece for a season before heading back home.

Darren Campbell.

Little winger we had on trial from Reading in Christies full season in charge. He looked really good in pre-season and would have been great competition for Barry at the time but Christie decided he didn't want him.

Liam Buchanan.

Cowdenbeath striker that came in training with us for a while but again Christie chose to let him go and depend on McSwegan :015: . He joined Partick and was rather prolific until he sustained a bad injury but i reckon he could have done the buis for us.

Edited by ajsict92

Dan Wagaluka

Ugandan international winger, who after a trial with us last summer was linked with Hearts, but ended up joining Tanzanian club Azham for a reported US$40,000 transfer + US$20,000 signing on fee.

There was also two Austrians around the same time as Marsh. A striker and a centre-half IIRC. Think the defender was called Tobogo or something. They were both unfit and not good enough I think is what CC said at the time.

Sean Evans and Michael Barnes.

2 Man U youngsters that came in. Both looked like hard workers and also looked more than capable of regular football. Brew was ignorant enough to weive away Alex Fergusons suggestions.

I remember seeing Evans play against Clack and County. Wasn't bad but totally anonamous in both games. The only thing I remember of Barnes was that he was really really ginger.

Edited by Renegade

2 Man U youngsters that came in. Both looked like hard workers and also looked more than capable of regular football. Brew was ignorant enough to weive away Alex Fergusons suggestions.

Sean Evans is currently playing for Ludlow Town in the West Midlands Regional League 2 (The equivalent of the tenth teir of league football in England) and Michael Barnes is with non-league english side FC Halifax town (The equivalent of the eight teir of league football in England)

Edited to add the league info

Edited by Libero

I remember seeing Evans play against Clack and County. Wasn't bad but totally anonamous in both games. The only thing I remember of Barnes was that he was really really ginger.

Was Barnes playing 2 years ago at Keith when Deano scored a couple?

Sean Evans is currently playing for Ludlow Town in the West Midlands Regional League 2 (The equivalent of the tenth teir of league football in England) and Michael Barnes is with non-league english side FC Halifax town (The equivalent of the eight teir of league football in England)

I would say looking at the above reply that Brew got it 100% correct, in both cases.

I realise that he does not enjoy the best of reputations on here but at least credit him with something he got right!

Giany Joinville was a big defender who was here 2 years ago I think, as a potential replacement for Dods (we got McGuire instead.....). He seems to be at Libourne St Seurin in the French 3rd division. Their club badge is a penguin kicking a ball.

I seem to recall him rattling the bar with a header in a friendly victory over the tinks.

Trialists will come and trialists will go. Some are no better than what we have already. Some will just price themselves out of our reach. Thats football. The important thing is that there are players from all over the country and beyond who are prepared to give up their time to come for a trial. If two dozen come through the gate and we sign two gems than I'd be happy.

Mention is made of some youngsters who came here but didn't get offers. Some of those were 18 or 19 and were earning more than our players of similar age. They wouldn't come for a drop in wages and it would not have been right to pay them well above what our lads were on, especially not knowing if they could hack it in the league we were in.

There is a big difference between chasing a player you've watched in competitive action and a trialist who you've never seen other that for short periods of friendlies. There's an element of risk in signing a trialist and if you get it wrong your up the proverbial without a paddle. Looking at some of those who have come to us then gone elsewhere not many have done anything better than lower league football.

I would say looking at the above reply that Brew got it 100% correct, in both cases.

I realise that he does not enjoy the best of reputations on here but at least credit him with something he got right!

Exactly right. Had I been boss, I wouldn't have offered Evans a contract. I'm not sure Barnes ever actually played a game either. From what I saw Evans wasn't good enough for Division 1 let alone the SPL.

I seem to recall him rattling the bar with a header in a friendly victory over the tinks.

Don't remember that happening, though I do remember big Gianni's headers were comical to say the least.

Darren Campbell.

Little winger we had on trial from Reading in Christies full season in charge. He looked really good in pre-season and would have been great competition for Barry at the time but Christie decided he didn't want him.

Liam Buchanan.

Cowdenbeath striker that came in training with us for a while but again Christie chose to let him go and depend on McSwegan :D . He joined Partick and was rather prolific until he sustained a bad injury but i reckon he could have done the buis for us.

I did say Buchanan would be good for us

• 2 weeks later...

Juanjo was another one. Came at the same time as Djebi-Zadi. Brew said he thought he was good, but didn't sign him because he felt he wasn't any better than what ICT had at that point. He then had a trial with County but they also felt he was no better than what they already had, they also had a couple of similars players that they felt were just as good, Richie Hart being one of them.

There was another one a few months ago, Ryan Harper or something, as well as Ibrahim Atiku a Ghanain internationalist.

Edited by Renegade