FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Young Peoples Views Of Inverness

RiG

It's actually all of the Highlands and Islands but the title was too long. Anyway, HIE have reported that an increasing number of 16 - 20 year olds are leaving the region to further their education and employment prospects. The number of 16 - 20 year olds in the region is well below the Scottish pro rata for the nation as a whole. The lack of job prospects was cited as a mjor reason for people in this age bracket moving somewhere else. More remote areas cited the region as boring (e.g. Argyll) but despite this the survey revealed that a lot of youngsters questioned would return to the area in future with many citing it as a good place to raise a family, they feel safe and it is a good place to leave as a teenager.

Highlands & Islands Enterprise Report

Report PDF

Certainly I enjoyed my time growing up in Inverness. There wasn't much to do but I found it, and I still do, a very closeknit community. Staying in the area after completing secondary school wasn't a consideration for me as I wanted to go to University (ended up at Aberdeen and have stayed here since). Whilst I hadn't really thought too much what I would do post University (bar getting a job) returning to Inverness certainly wasn't something I would have thought about, feeling that I would have outgrown it somewhat by this time. However, given the current state of the UK and the lack of jobs, I feel that I would happily return to Inverness provided I could secure a decent enough job and certainly fit the "pattern" HIE have uncovered with this survey.

What about the current crop of Inverness young ones? You likely to stay in the area or move on to pastures new? Oldies, have you gone away and returned at a later date or just never looked back?

From my point of view, I loved growing up in Inverness, however in the 9 years I've been away from it I hate going out in Inverness and even popping in to town Isnt nearly as good as it was with all the new nationalitys knocking about, IMO the atmospher has changed far to much!! The streets are full of drunks, litter and thats stupid eye sore that is street scap that cost us a good few quid and still isnt right....

From my Brothers point of view.. he has just recived a degree in Mentle health Nursing but can not get a job doing what he wanted to do... 12 jobs for 120 graduats (from all over the highlands), with an empasis on employing "Folk whos first languge is not English"... so he has to seek employment in another area, becoming to some degree a white settler, Our town is going to the Dogs IMHO where to be a young local person seeking a profession you are fighting with non local, PC people... As for police in the area the PC card is shown far to much in that, I was started on once out side G's or what ever its called now, by a Pole who was minced and talking pish, I pushed him out my way and then had 3 of them, the police came from across the road and cuffed me, stuck me in the back of the car spoke to me like a piece of **** and started to drive off.. I asked calmly why they had done this to me.. there answer was... you were breaching the peace and i was going to get a fine... I pointed out that I was soder and just walking back to my car when That guy for no reason got in my way and kicked off... I didnt know what he was saying, and asked him to move, he didnt, he got agressive so i moved him out of my way... the police man was very embarrissed and said that if they had lifted him the force would have to cough up for a translator, so they tend to take the english speaker to find out what had happened, i was breatholised found to be clean as a whistle and taken back to the car park to get my car... nothing was said after that, but this seems to be the way OUR town is policed... (I did get a letter appoligising for it after I wrote to the station)

But this is how our town is now, where being local is a bad thing, thankfully Elgin/Lossiemouth isnt nearly as bad!!

I have to say that honestly, I long to move away to a bigger, better city where IT jobs are plentiful and the pay is good. With a bit of luck, this Microsoft/Alchemy Data Centre will improve this and I wont have to move away.

Oldies, have you gone away and returned at a later date or just never looked back?

I grew up in Inverness in the 40s and 50s. Looking back, maybe with rose coloured specs, I found it idyllic. I remember when I was young feeling a great sense of pride at being born Scottish, and particularly from the north. That feeling has never really left me.

I initially left Inverness in 1959 to go off to university, but it was still my 'home' until 1962 when I went off to Canada for nearly two years. I came back to Inverness in late 1963, but eventually left for good, for work reasons, in late 1964.

In the early years I returned almost every year for holidays, and even after I was married the annual drive up to Inverness was a ritual, even when our family grew to include 3 children. However, I never thought of returning for good, although I did harbour some thoughts of retiring to the North of Scotland. However, senior management (she who must be obeyed), soon put the mockers on that idea, as she is not Scottish, and finds it too cold up there to live permanently.

Nowadays my trips to Inverness are less frequent, having no relatives or friends still there. Only ICT or the occasional golf trip takes me there now. Last time I was in the centre of the city I found it really run down and depressing. If I ever found myself on my own, I doubt if I'd return to live in Inverness. If I were to live in Scotland it would be in Perthshire, or the Plockton area, both areas you will notice which are within easy striking distance to watch ICT's home matches. However, I will be forever grateful for my Scottish education and upbringing.

Inverness has changed beyond all recognition this last 10 yrs or so. unfortunatley, its growing at such a rate and is enduring all the problems that come with being a fast growing city. And in my humble opinion....its only going to get worse from here on in. And i blame incomers from other parts of the country and beyond for the way inverness is now.

I grew up in Inverness in the 70s and 80s......when there really was sod all for a kid to do. We used our imagination and ingineuity and managed to always be amused. Plus, everyone knew everyone (or so it seemed).

But you know what, I wouldnt swap it for a kid these days. Kids now dont know they are born. They have too much to do, they just dont know what to choose. They are a bunch of spoilt whingers, who think unless it involves a screen (Nintendo Ds, PS3, XBox360, DVD etc) then its not worth bothering about. They have a real lack of inituitive now.

Ame

Truthfully I don't know how old you are but you sure hit e nail on the head about the younger generation these days. They have more than any kid in the past ever had, better food, access to cars, more money in their pockets and the abilty to be in constant contact with all those they call their friends.

They also have the opportunity to be anyting they wqnat or go to any country that tey may choose to live their dream and succeed in a way that was never dreamed of when I was a young teenager.

In my day in the workplace you were gently reminded every day that you had to toe the line, wait for dead men's shoes for promotion AND BASICALLY WERE LUCKY TO BE WHERE YOU WERE REGARDLESS OF EFFORT, AMBITION or ABILITY.

My answer to that was, and still is..." Really? well goodbye chums have a nice life I am the modern Dick Whittington and my pole and hanky pack is tied to move and I am off to pastures new, to seek my fortune and find fulfilment whether it be financial, mental OR emotional . Here's the rub, the act of taing that momentous step to emigrate instills in you a certain something that does not allow you top fail and when you find out that the only thing stopping you from succeeding in your new country is your lack of desire-to work ,to work and to get ahead. It does not matter whether you fail at any job in this scenario because you are not a loser unless you stop trying.

Also , it's huge world of new things and adventure out there and WELL WORTH STRIVING FOR--but how many kids of today have the desire to go away from their homeland and see what is out there for them?

In my last visit to Inverness I realised that I could not ever again live there--the town had shrunk in my eyes, prices were ferocious compared to Canada, cold as hell in August and I was totally miserable physically for almost the three weeks I was there. Climate change? Maybe-but that is a gey dreich ,rainy , cloudy freezing place to live. House prices are very high even by Canadian Standards and gas is double what I pay in Canada.

And VAT at 17%--quite incredible ; we moan like crazy about the Goods & Service stax here of 5% plus Provincial rip off tax of 7% , but there would be a riot if we had to pay 17%.

Canada is not perfect but, boy, compared to what I experienced as a young lad growing up in Scotland the youth of today are spoiled rotten. When I was in my teens I was not often bored finding lots to do around the town .For today's youth, get the message loud and clear that if you really want a varied expansive life put your computer into a perspective which includes the understanding that it is not the be all and end all of existence, merely a very useful tool to make your life easier. And , if you don't have ahearattack reading this get off yer duffs and get out on your bikes --you wills ee more from that stance than you will from a car.

And if any of you want more information about emigrating to Canada just send me a p.m.

Ta buckets

Scarlet

Inverness is the only place I'd move to without any hesitation if I could get the right job there. I think it's a great city which stands out because of its relative isolation. The thing is, if I did move there I'd be another outsider. Is there really a problem with that or do the good things which come with change outweigh the bad? I live in one of the most multi-cultural cities in the UK and love it all the more for that. Surely when places are insular they stand still, eventually losing their young who won't relate to the things their (grand)parents love so much.

As an outsider, I fear the growth of the place will lead to more bland housing and chain stores. I'd hope local people/politicians could do something to fight against Inverness becoming a carbon copy of every other city in the country by encouraging sympathetic development, helping independent small businesses and developing a nightlife which is more than just RnB hellholes. But you shouldn't forget what you've got: Probably the best collection of restaurants for a place that size anywhere in Britain; live venues which attract a weird but wonderful mix of acts/events; some great pubs (well, three that I can think of); the riverside; a hugely varied leisure scene; two never dull football clubs; and all surrounded by some of the most awesome natural beauty on the planet.

Not perfect, but one hell of a good start. In fact, get rid of the Celtic, Rangers and (most) Tesco outlets in the city and I'd say there's nowhere better.

I have lived in Inverness all my life and granted I am only 19. I can say without a doubt its changed since I was younger. I never remember seeing vacent shops in Queensgate and Academy street when I was younger now when I walk down these areas they look like scenes from the old west.

I was lucky enough to have had a mother who for the first six years of my life never worked and a grandmother who had a hand in raising me. I fondly remember being taken into town and getting a glass of coke from Girvens, shoes from Mr Melvilles, clothes from Heirs and Graces (I don't know if this is still open) and if I was really lucky a trip to the jolly giant. We couldn't go 20 metres without somebody saying hello to us in passing.

Fast forward to 2009 and much of the character Inverness city centre had even 15 years ago has gone. Walking down our streets we hear a mish mash of different languages, as mentioned before we pass empty lots, many of the charming shops and resteraunts have been replaced by chain stores and kebab shops. I visited the once vibrent seaside resort of Hastings a few years ago and it was the same story there. It looked run down and shabby. I remember thinking "thank God Inverness isn't like this" I don't think I could say that now.

Inverness does a terribe job at retaining its young people. I think one of the problems is our archeic licensing laws. When I speak to people from other cities and tell them we have a 12 o clock curfew they either laugh at you or think you are joking. This is essentially telling pubs to turn people away. The choice of night spots seems to be streamlined as a result. There is only really one nightclub for young people in Inverness; Love2Love, which as any young person will tell you is God awful if you have an alternitive taste in music. There is Cactus Jacks aswell but it is full of neds and ape like eastern european skinheads who just want a fight. The last two times I have been there I have been started on.

Due to the fact that so many young people leave Inverness. It is quite difficult to find a partner. As a 19 year old most other girls of the same age still in Inverness are going with older men who had the same problem when they were 19. These men who have finished their apprentiships have money to spend on these girls. If you are just out of school or in collage then odds are you are not going to be in well paid work. So you are left disenfranchised by the whole thing.

On that note there are limited employment oppertunities for young people. Those who stayed on at schopl until 6th year like I did will struggle to get an apprentiship. This leaves mind numbing clerical work for the council or low paying service sector work. If you want to stay in Inverness and learn UHI only gives you a limited number of decent courses.

Within the next three weeks all but three of the people I would class as friends from when I was in school will have left Inverness for either Edinburugh or Glasgow to further their prospects in life. Those who have stayed in Inverness with me over the past year spent large periods of time unemployed or in seasonal/temperary work. They are all desperate to leave. I am not so desperate as I feel I am one of the luckier ones. I have been in work since I left school. I have been doing a job I have found enjoyable due to the people I work with and my customers. It has gifted me with many friends and given me some great life experiance. However a job for life it is not, even though I would happily work there for at least another year I feel that if I don't leave Inverness now and go back to education I ncould be stuck in a rut in ten years time. I move to Aberdeen in three weeks for university. I will be deeply saddened not to be living in Inverness permanently anymore but I feel that it is not the place it was as little as ten years ago.

Interesting to read your views Proctor particularly as I think you are the youngest person to comment on this thread and it's good to get an insight of what the youth of Inverness think of the place just now.

Indeed a lot of what you say in your post is very similar to how I felt growing up. I also chose to go to Aberdeen for further education as I viewed it as a good step up from Inverness (it might not be as big as Edinburgh or Glasgow but there is a surprising amount to do here!). I also remember Melvilles shoe shop and the seemingly never ending tower of shoe boxes around you!

I always think, and I am happy to be corrected here, that the biggest problem facing people in Inverness is the jobs on offer are largely retail based and for many people that's a career that might not match their own ambitions. Aberdeen is obviously well known for the oil and gas, Edinburgh as a massive commerce centre but Inverness I always think of as mainly retail and that's it really.

A sizeable percentage of my year at school went to University and whilst some have come back to Inverness most have fledged elsewhere. I think this too is a key factor in the number of people leaving the area. To get the skills and the knowledge for their "dream job" they need to go off to University to obtain this. Once they leave they settle into places like Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen etc. with some going down to England as well. You end up spending 3 - 4 years in a place that typically will have far more things to see and do than Inverness and folk will want to stay there to continue to do these things and hope to get a job there afterwards.

The situation in Inverness could get a LOT worse if Lifescan were to up and leave. And historically, the company behind them think nothing of turning their backs on millions of pounds investment, upping sticks and relocating to a more favourable location. Let us hope they have no urge to do so in the foreseeable future, coz it would have a horrendous knock on effect for Inversneck.

Edited by SMEE

All depends on what job your doing .

The emphasis was really on the long term career prospects because Lifescan will disappear in the foreseeable future once the government funding and grants run dry.

I'm sure I'd find working in IT in Lifescan ok, but I'm sure the folk working on the production line don't exactly look forward to going to work.

I love living in Inverness. Always have and hopefully always will. It has been a pleasure to see it develope into such a well thought of city. It's a rare place because we still have alot of things within the town that have been around for years and it is still like a giant goldfish bowl, you will always bump into someone you know.

At the moment i have no intrest in leaving this place, even after i finish school, alot of what i'm needing for further education either is or will soon be here for me. Alot of my friends think different and will probably be gone this time next year but i haven't really got any intrest in migrating to the central belt.

I've been lucky enough to live in a couple of ther places and only returned to Inverness for reasons outside of my control and to be honest if I can, I would definately move away again (either to somewhere like Edinburgh or beyond). The thing about Inverness is that it's too small. I see a lot of folk walking down the street or in town whom I recognise but don't actually know. There are things that are nice about Inverness in the way that the neighbouring countryside is very attractive, the town centre certainly looks a bit better too since I'd last seen it, but the things such as the size and how far away it is from everywhere that's happening to me is a bit of a turn off. Probably a nice to live if your old or enjoy hillwalking and stuff but if your not old or into that stuff, there aint much to do. Another thing I notice as well is that people in Inverness are a bit conserative and reserved and petty things like status and class seem to be quite strong on people's minds. People in Inverness (and other places in Scotland as a whole) seem a bit eager to stick to people who are "their own kind" and to stick to people due to their job, when in other countries this means nothing and to be honest for me that's a far nicer way of living. There's a lot Old Man's Boots in Inverness as well and a lot of things can be gained by who you know. Inverness is quite a nice town but it also aint a "city". For me a city has to have 300,000+. Glasgow, is a city. New York is a city. Sydney is a city. Inverness to put it bluntly, aint a city, and probably won't seem like a real city in my lifetime. But that's about it. Some stuff I do like about Inverness but I wouldn't mind moving away again if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting to read these views...

My own situation is probably very similar to many. Left Inverness 8 years ago to attend Uni, lived in Glasgow after Graduating and during pretty much my whole time there was adamant I would never return. However, the desire for a change of career direction necessitated the '1 step back to (hopefully) take 2 forward' approach and now I find myself back in 'The Sneck'.

I won't stay here long term, the job I am doing I see very much as a way of getting experience in this field and then moving on to better pay and challenges elsewhere. I'd say 2, maybe 3 years at the very most before I move on again, although never say never is the motto I guess...

The reasons I wouldn't stay are:

- Very little nightlife and what nightlife exists is poor quality and aimed at the lowest common denominator. Understandable in such a small area with no student population. Completely archaic licensing laws do not help either. It is embarrassing to take friends from elsewhere out in Inverness with the 12 curfew... 3am opening is a slight improvement on the 1.30 close of a few years ago though... There is also a nasty atmosphere in a lot of Inverness bars/clubs during the busy nights, personally I would say I feel safer in Glasgow or Edinburgh than I do Inverness.

- Loss of identity. The changes in Inverness are incredible in the last 10 years but this influx of people has, unfortunately, resulted in the identity of Inverness becoming totally diluted. Newcomers in itself is no bad thing, in fact I would argue it is a major positive, but the fact is it is essentially now 'Tesco Town' where everyone drives to spend their money in national chains and this has destroyed the local businesses and hence the individual character of the area.

- The City/Town Council and their ridiculous ideas. Streetscape?? Come on! If ever there was an exercise in how to murder trade in an area this has been it. Incredibly short sighted and possibly the final nail for business in the centre as there is such little access (parking predominantly) for people now.

- The lack of credible Tertiary Education. I'm afraid UHI (which didn't exist when I left) or Inverness College are not an option to most people with ambition. For the majority of Invernessian youngsters, the ONLY option when they leave school is to leave the city. The knock on effect for jobs of any real value is that they tend not to exist. IMO, if Inverness wants to be taken seriously as a City, a University has to be a priority. Preferably not this crazy e-learning/distance option either. A real University with a campus and a student community which would help to take the city to the next step both culturally and economically.

Reasons to stay in Inverness:

- Quality of life is excellent. Clean air and all the opportunities to enjoy outdoor activities you could want.

- Excellent leisure facilities. Similar to quality of life point. The membership options at Inverness Leisure are outstanding value in compared to similar facilities across the country. The only real negative is the out-dated and frankly dangerous 'astroturf' surface. That really requires updating.

- Low crime rates make Inverness an safe place to live and a major consideration if choosing to settle long term.

In short, I feel very glad I grew up in Inverness, as opposed to Glasgow/Edinburgh etc. However, personally I do not see it as a long term option, mainly as I feel I have outgrown the place and a lot of my peers who elected to stay and have become entrenched in the small town mentality (and often with kids in tow before their 21st birthdays...) which is still far too prevalent in the area. A nice beginning but certainly not for life!

As an outsider , meh opinion is, love the place,great place for us that are gettin on a bit and for bringing up family,would i live here when younger? nae chance! leave when yer 18 come back when yer 30ish..

Not only an outsider but a dundonian FFS. :D

If it's a place to leave and return later then why are there so many incomers to the area?

Edited by 5thStand

If it's a place to leave and return later then why are there so many incomers to the area?

Pretty sure you'll find the vast majority of incomers are not in the 18-30 age bracket,but maybe the HIE could commision another survey to find out the demographics.like i said,great place to bring up kids and settle down, not so great for the night life and entertainment younger folk crave.

My twopence worth,

I bought my house in Cradlehall about 14 years ago while I was still in the army with a view to settling here on retirement. At that time Inverness was like a seaside resort to me. I used to get excited about coming up here as if I was going on my hols. There used to be a friendly buzz about the place. You could walk down the main shopping precinct and feel the atmosphere. Unfortunately that has all gone IMHO. Now when you walk down the precinct you are likely to be mugged by a foreigner/crackhead or run over by some loon on a scateboard. I feel that it has lost that seaside feel and become like any other city. My wife, neice, her boyfriend and I went down town recently for a night out. It was the first time I had ventured down for many years, normally not getting any further than the Fluke. The 1st pub we went into was Gunsmiths because of the karaoke (can't help myself), now some of you will say why there it's a dump. We didn't know that then, I do now. There were lads parading with no tops admiring themselves in the mirror as if on a catwalk. They were so obviously off there head on something. Some of the jailbait running around should have been in bed hours ago. The place just had a manacing feel about it and we left after one drink/song. We then looked at a few other bars which showed varying degrees of neanderthal like people both on the doors and going through them. We did enjoy ourselves in Hootenannies but that was about it. All in all not a very pleasant night out. I can see why youngsters are leaving to better themselves elsewhere but that may change when the new university is built. It will give some a reason to stick around a little longer but if there are no prospects after UNI how long is the question. I still love it up here but do my best not to go into the center unless I have to.

I think the main issue with Inverness is the number of undesireables has gone through the roof....both incomers and locals who have gone to pot (so to speak). And the cause in my eyes...is heavy duty drugs. I include people i grew up with in this. The streets are full of these types now, that look like a bunch of extras from a zombie movie. We have to face facts, Its only gonna get worse. Its all part and parcel of being the fastest growing city in western europe!

And...to those who cite the 12am curfew as a reason to leave...you really need to wake up and smell the coffee. Its no reason to consider moving away!

When i was a fledgling boozer (20 yrs ago)....pubs shut at 11-45 on a saturday night. You can now drink till 3am. its a huge difference. And i reckon if the UHI comes to fruition....the "scene" will improve no end for the younger ones in Sneck.

I think the main issue with Inverness is the number of undesireables has gone through the roof....both incomers and locals who have gone to pot (so to speak). And the cause in my eyes...is heavy duty drugs. I include people i grew up with in this. The streets are full of these types now, that look like a bunch of extras from a zombie movie. We have to face facts, Its only gonna get worse. Its all part and parcel of being the fastest growing city in western europe!

And...to those who cite the 12am curfew as a reason to leave...you really need to wake up and smell the coffee. Its no reason to consider moving away!

When i was a fledgling boozer (20 yrs ago)....pubs shut at 11-45 on a saturday night. You can now drink till 3am. its a huge difference. And i reckon if the UHI comes to fruition....the "scene" will improve no end for the younger ones in Sneck.

When I was recently in Invss , the first time in many years , I was amazed at the number of Polish people here. Mind you when we went to Ireland we were surprised at the number of Latvians there. Mrs L felt at home, so suppose it is all relative!!I left Invss to join the fleet air arm, basically to learn to fly at the taxpayers expense(Honesty) and on leaving joined the flag carrying airline, No! not Ryan Air!! I came home to Inss often as I got free-ish flights, and over the years then saw , in my opinion, the town gradually going downhill.

When I was here in August I was amazed at the prices of things, cigs nearly 6 gbp, here in Latvia 1.50, A bottle of whisky , price made me gulp . Here one litre of Bells 5.00gbp so the cost of living is cheaper.

But what struck me most was the amount of, when I was home were the number of weirdos on the streets, I was with a friend and was accosted by drunks asking for cigs / cash, so we cut the evening short, mind you there was nowhere to go!!

Having said that my secondary busines is a pub in Riga which I run with another Pilot, we serve English/ Scottish beer and in the summer get inundated with Drunk Stag partiesfrom England and Ireland, so guess it is the same the world over.

If you have a football team and want to come to Riga in the summer I can arrange games and buy ONE pint for each member Ryan air do cheap flights if you book 4 months in advance from Stanstead, maybe see you

When I was recently in Invss , the first time in many years , I was amazed at the number of Polish people here.

Last i heard, there was an estimated 10 000 eastern europeans in the Inverness area

But what struck me most was the amount of, when I was home were the number of weirdos on the streets, I was with a friend and was accosted by drunks asking for cigs / cash, so we cut the evening short, mind you there was nowhere to go!!

Yup, add to that the VERY high number of Junkies in the city now too.....way too many wastes of space!

Edited by SMEE