FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Weekly Highlights--my pals say that they ....

Scarlet Pimple

Referring to the weekly highlights offered on the main site, I have been sending them on to a friend in Inverness and an ex-goalie here in Richmond, B.C. (a suburb of Vancouver which is now famous for having the largest Chinese populationin the lower Mainland of Western Canada).

They are telling me that they cannot get the video to run after clicking on "wmv".

Can anyone suggest reason(s) why this is happening?

I sometimes find a delay in the start-up and, often, a mid highlight longish delay where everything stops but will start again if you have the patience to wait.But mine runs quite well apart from an odd flutter and stutter, which, incidentally, never happend when our photographer fan was doing the highlights so.....?

Hoping Scotty or CaleyD can offer something.?

Thank you .

there is absolutely no difference between the BBC highlights or Andy's highlights in terms of where they are stored, the bitrate they are encoded to, or anything else about them so there should be no difference in the 'experience'.

Just like I received the footage from Andy....., I now receive it from the BBC ... the rest (encoding the file to reduce its size) follows exactly the same path as before.

If there is a lag in play or slowness then it is down to one of two things .... the host where we store them experiencing slowness, or the connection between the user and that host. Please remember that each file is around 85 Mb (or more) so anything other than a reasonably fast connection will stutter. As for the WMV problem, I would always recommend the FLV version anyway, seems better supported in most browsers these days and likely to be the ONLY format used in any proper media section we can have added to the official site at some future date.

All noted and I will send these comments on to my friends.

And I will ask for a response from them , taking into account your advice and information.

Would the fact that this is an 85MB file be the reason why the video takes it's time to load up and start?

Many thanks

S.

All noted and I will send these comments on to my friends.

And I will ask for a response from them , taking into account your advice and information.

Would the fact that this is an 85MB file be the reason why the video takes it's time to load up and start?

Many thanks

S.

There are so many potential reasons that it is virtually impossible to know where to start ... but the short answer is yes, the size of the file could be a factor. ....... as could the internet connection, as could the computer it is being viewed on and so on and so forth.