FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

MacGregor Comments?!?!

Donview

Last night's Aberdeen Evening Express carried an article titled 'County Are Champs', read into it any way you like but I personally took exception to the statement ' it has only taken them 18 years to become the FIRST to climb directly from the Highland League to the top flight'

I don't accept the "technically correct" theory.

Inverness Thistle FC and Caledonian FC merged upon entry to the SFL.....so "technically" C*unty are the third team from the Highland League to make it to the SPL.

• Agree 4

The comments, IMO, are clearly a dig at the achievements of ICT and smack of jealousy that we got the the SPL before them. Whilst his comment may be factually correct we have both played and won our way through the divisons and have grown substantially over the last couple of decades, the fact remains that we were first to do it however. Seeing as there is no pyramid system in Scotland connecting junior and amateur leagues then we both effectively started at the bottom so his comments dont really hold any credence.

Both ourselves and County have done fantastically well to reach the upper echelons of Scottish football, we did it first in the Highlands, anyone who doesnt like will just have to deal with it!

• Agree 2

I couldn't really care less about his comments tbh, i seen more emphasis on the, "it only took 18 YEARS" part of his comments.

As Confucius said, "a great man is hard on himself, a small man is hard on others".

Edited by ict123

Its about time Elgin and Peterhead got their act together and at least got to the first division. Well done on Ross county making it after 18 years, can't wait for the derbies. This comment makes me think of a trick question in a pub quiz...

The question I ask is.......did McGregor actually say this or is it a bit of Paul Chalk journalism? It was Chalk who made the statement on STV news.

they also missed out getting into the 1st division then going back down. instead they said ross county got promoted to the first division in 2008.

The following wee dig on County's wikipedia entry has survived for a few days now.

"Founded in 1929, they will play in the 2012/13 Scottish Premier League after winning promotion as champions of then First Division, confirming their status as the most successful football club north of Inverness."

:wink:

• Agree 2

The following wee dig on County's wikipedia entry has survived for a few days now.

"Founded in 1929, they will play in the 2012/13 Scottish Premier League after winning promotion as champions of then First Division, confirming their status as the most successful football club north of Inverness."

:wink:

Dougal strikes again