FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scotland v usa

ICTPaisley

Really impressed with the USA. Play some really good football.

We arnt firing on all cylinders. Bit of experimenting from Levein tonight. Very brave selection. Not seen us play with so many attacking players for a long time but right now it doesn't seem to be paying off.

Can't say it wasn't expected from my point of view. I expected a comfortable victory (granted maybe not by the margin they won by) for them and they got it. I expected us to suffer in the heat with a fairly inexperienced side against a near full strength one.

We went with an attacking team, and it didn't work. This USA team beat Italy, and if they get anything from brazil in a few days I won't be surprised. Very good side with a very good manager. 5-1 was more than I expected, but when you play with 5 attacking midfielders, then what do you expect. The Team lacked balance for me. Charlie Adam, Darren fletcher, Alan Hutton, James Morrison, and Jamie mackie all missing. That's pretty much the spine of the team.

Charlie mulgrew had a shocker, can't say I'm surprised though. Webster and Caldwell didn't work, and Bardsley, was rarely seen in the game. Think we have to hold up our hands and say we we were beat by the better side.

Think we have to hold up our hands and say we we were beat by the better side.

You don't say! :laugh:

Scotland are rubbish. That is all.

Last sentence sums up all the problems with our game.

It isn't we are pish, it's Scotland are pish. It's not our league is pish, it's the spl is pish. No pride.

• Agree 1

Scottish football is in a bad state. There is no competition to build talent. Scotland does not have players that are International standard. We have to play the 'granny wore a tartan shawl' card to find half decent players from down south. Some of those players are English through and through but their only chance of winning a cap is to switch to Scotland. Personally I dont see many born and bred Scots of the required standard coming through in the future either. At least not before the game in this country is torn apart and rebuilt.

It isn't we are pish, it's Scotland are pish. It's not our league is pish, it's the spl is pish. No pride.

Nowt much to be proud of I'm afraid.

There's no chance of the Scotland team playing in a major finals any time soon I reckon and the longer the clown that is Levein is there, the more likely that will remain.

There's really no good Scottish managers out there that would take the job I reckon. An inevitable track down the foreign root would be the best bet IMO. Lagerback wanted the job before, would he leave Iceland to come here? Maybe, and he has a proven record an international level. Egil Olsen is maybe another one who might be available soon. It wouldn't be pretty, but this is another with a good international record, particularly when he got Norway to second in the world ranking in the late 90s!

Foreign football managers should be banned for national teams. Why should it be any different for the most important part of a team, the manager, than it is for a goalkeeper?

And the sooner we can stop hoping our players go to sit on the bench for a Division Two (or Championship if you insist) club, rather than staying and making the SPL improve, the better. An Aberdeen team with Cowie, Black, Rooney and Hayes might upset a few people at the TCS a couple of times a year but it would make out league more exciting and push up the standard of all clubs.

I want Scottish football to be better at all levels. And we won't get that with McGuire, Allan or Fyvie playing in some reserves for a few bob more, or hoping Hayes or Black leave Scotland 'to further themselves' at a non-top division side. Maybe not a lot we can do about it but perhaps not urging them to leave Scotland at the first opportunity might help a little.

leveins record: won 9, drawn 3, lost 7

nothing clownish about that.

One of those wins was a friendly against the Faroes and two of them were against Liechtenstein, the first of was a dreadful performance that was won totally un-deservedly and by complete luck. Levein's comments afterwards also didn't endear him much. Looking back it's a shame Scotland didn't get beat that day as he would've probably been sacked and rightly so.

It was the 4-6-0 that lost it for me though. No manager should set up a team to fail like that and I would've sacked him for that.

nothing to be proud of? how about the fact your scottish, these players represent you.

I'm Scottish yes, but not really of the patriotic flagwaving type. Nothing much to be proud of and little to get excited about for me I'm afraid.

Edited by Renegade

leveins record: won 9, drawn 3, lost 7

nothing clownish about that.

It was the 4-6-0 that lost it for me.

nothing to be proud of? how about the fact your scottish, these players represent you.

I'm Scottish yes, but not really of the patriotic flagwaving type. I have little interest in the Scotland team and have never seen them play. Nothing much to be proud of and little to get excited about for me I'm afraid.

Bit strange why you insist to give your opinion on something you don't care about then.

Dont think that with a full squad we would have been beaten by so much last night. Levein aint that bad, but he hasnt helped himself with comments and selections. However I do feel we wont be far away from qualifying for the world cup and maybe get a play off place.

By the way that was a very very decent USA side last night, played in the Barca style for the first 70 minutes as they hunted our players down right from the start

• 2 weeks later...

The USA are nothing better than average. They have Maurice Edu playing for them FFS. Following their whipping of us, they got hammered by Brazil, drew with the mighty Canada, and scraped a win against Antigua and Barbuda.

Scotland were woeful that night, a complete and utter embarrassment.

I really don't know where we stand in the football world, we beat Denmark, we narrowly losses to Spain we were cheated out of the euros by the Czechs and a certain stoned ref, but we lossed 5-1 to the USA.

I'm putting it down as an off day. Away from home, no Hutton, no Adam, no Morrison, no Naismith, and no Berra. 5 definite starters for me. We will see how we fair against the serbs and the Croats they will make or break levein. Home success is key. We should probably Have got a play off place an it would've been because of our home form as we only lost 1 home game in the euro campaign, and it was against Spain in one of the best scottish performances in recent memory. When you compare that to our away form we only got 4 points on the road, a draw against Lithuania and a win in Lichtenstein. We should of beat Lithuania but we didn't.

We continue to move up the rankings under levein this week and a decent world cup campaign even finishing 3rd wouldn't be bad in our group so let's get behind them this campaign. We could finish 1st but at the same time we could finish 4th its a shake up group and I feel we will be the ones shaking things up.

I admire your positivity Luke, I'm sure the team will eventually get that beaten out you and wear you down like the rest of us!

I'm kidding (only slightly tho), I'm a Supporters Club member and love supporting Scotland.

Berra a definite starter? Really? I think he's awful in dark blue. They may not be the best at domestic level but the only partnership that seems to work in the centre of defence for Scotland since Weir's retirement is Caldwell and McManus IMO.

As for Levein, I want him to succeed but continually have to wonder what planet he is on!

Chris Burke provided the most assists in the championship last season, Ross McCormack was that league's 3rd top scorer yet neither get picked. And when we have so many injuries, call offs and players who refuse to play for the manager too.

How many squads now has he only picked 3 strikers for?

And don't get me started on that 4-6-0 formation. That's a f**kin padlock combination not a football formation.

And as has already been stated we were very lucky to get a win against Leichtenstein. At home.

Other wins include Leichtenstein again, Ireland, The Faroe Islands and Cyprus. I'm just not convinced by CL. Not saying there has not been improvement, I do believe despite all this we are heading in a better direction.

We have a chance with the group we are in, I really, really hope we can do something this time.

And while I remain to be convinced I'll still be there singing my heart out and cheering Scotland on. As ever.

(I must be f**kin stupid I really must!)