FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The "Who Should We Sign" Thread

Renegade

Today's Press and Journal reports that while deals have been agreed with Adam Evans, Ben Greenhalgh and Danny Williams, three more players have agreed to sign deals once their current contracts expire, reportedly at the beginning of June. Obviously seeing as they are still contracted to their respective clubs their names cannot be revealed at present.

Seems to be a lot of speculation that James Vincent may be one, Robbie Thomson possibly another?

On the face of it, that's a really uninspiring list of names when you look at the low level they have all been playing at and their general lack of experience.

However, it speaks volumes that the fans here aren't raging about it (like many were last summer) now that we've seen how successful our management team have been in picking up gems from the bottom end of the market.

• Agree 1

Today's Press and Journal reports that while deals have been agreed with Adam Evans, Ben Greenhalgh and Danny Williams, three more players have agreed to sign deals once their current contracts expire, reportedly at the beginning of June. Obviously seeing as they are still contracted to their respective clubs their names cannot be revealed at present.

Seems to be a lot of speculation that James Vincent may be one, Robbie Thomson possibly another?

On the face of it, that's a really uninspiring list of names when you look at the low level they have all been playing at and their general lack of experience.

However, it speaks volumes that the fans here aren't raging about it (like many were last summer) now that we've seen how successful our management team have been in picking up gems from the bottom end of the market.

I'll try to find an online link but knowing the P&J it either wont be put online or will be for online subscribers only

The article also mentioned that whilst we have managed to retain the core of last years first team Terry is very happy with the amount of experience we currently have in the team, this suggests to me that this summers transfer dealings will be primarily younger or inexperienced players.

You hit the nail on the head, I think after last years relative success in plucking a few gems from obscurity then we are a lot more patient and trusting when it comes to unknown signing players without a big reputation.

Agree, although we are never going to be in a position to have inspiring names - maybe linked but not realistic targets sadly. While I'd like to see some good young players from the SFL or other SPL clubs, sadly it looks like Rangers are now trying to sign them all up so they will always move for money rather than SPL football :(

I see the Dons are in talks with John Sutton, could be a good partner for Billy IMO

• Agree 1

After the season thats just passed i cant help but have total faith in Marsella and the management team when it comes to identifying players, the permanent signings we made all became key members of the team and all chipped in with some telling contributions despite their lack of experience at this level. All the lads coming in may be young and untested at this level as well but with some of the experienced heads around them coupled with the experience Terry and Mo bring to the floor as manager and assistant manager respectively i see no reason why these guys cant have the same impact.

• Agree 1

The signing of Ben Greenhalgh got me wondering, who else from TV talent shows could do a job for us? That dancing dog might need a bit of retraining but could surely run rings round defenders.

Even so, it's quite a leap of faith if we are replacing 2 full internationals with guys from Kendal and Kidderminster!

For a minute I thought you were meaning Shinnie and Reguero there! Didn't think he impressed enough to displace Reina, Cassilas, de Gea, Valdes et al.

I forgot about the potentially departing OTJ...

Even so, it's quite a leap of faith if we are replacing 2 full internationals with guys from Kendal and Kidderminster!

But if you say we are replacing a Rangers reserve team reject and a player who couldn't get into a Championship side and was released a year before his contract ended it dosen't seem such a task to replace them does it?

Thats what we signed when Andy and OTJ came on board.

• Agree 1

And how confident can we be they wouldn't be off injured for most of next season.  Seemed to be the way in the past.  This is the first good year they've had in a long time, so I'm not sure their bodies would be up for two seasons in a row (and I don't fancy paying for them only for them to do a Hogg and say thanks but they'd prefer to play elsewhere).

Andy Shinnie is a great player and did deserve international recognition. But he doesnt really come to mind when you think of scotla ds finest

With the current crop can we consider any as 'Scotlands finest'? Has to be as good as any other options we have just now.

Guest Mahonio

Wonder if anyone on old IHE's list are part of the 3 lol, would love Will Grigg to be one so if he's not then IHE is in trouble :-P.

Wonder if anyone on old IHE's list are part of the 3 lol, would love Will Grigg to be one so if he's not then IHE is in trouble :-P.

There is a big difference between negotiation and signing. The club are undoubtedly making their best efforts to secure the players that I have mentioned, I am sick of people blaming Terry Butcher.

Guest Mahonio

Wonder if anyone on old IHE's list are part of the 3 lol, would love Will Grigg to be one so if he's not then IHE is in trouble :-P. There is a big difference between negotiation and signing. The club are undoubtedly making their best efforts to secure the players that I have mentioned, I am sick of people blaming Terry Butcher.

Where do I "blame Terry Butcher", I said that YOU would be in trouble. I actually trust Stevie Marsella and Butcher when it comes to transfers, I was looking for a reply from you when I said that you'd be in trouble if Grigg didn't sign lol and it worked :P :P.

It was an obvious dig at Butcher and Marsella. All I do is point them in the rite direction and leave the talking and the finances to them. They are working on a limited budget and it is not easy to attract people to the far North. Get behind them fer fecks sake.

Guest Mahonio

I know that its not easy to attract players IHE and explain to me how it was "an obvious dig at Butcher and Marsella" because I'm baffled man!!

I said that I HOPE that Grigg was one that we were tracking, you are beginning to get me annoyed with your unnecessary digs at my posts, I know that you are at it sometimes with your posts at transfer times, that's why i am not certain on how truthful you are in your list of players, if your right then good but i somehow think your talking ****!

What about John Baird?  Supposedly being courted by Partick, but he looked a decent player in the 1-1 draw (which he scored in) a couple of months ago.  Could be one that comes good.

I think that Akinfenwa seems a good option, except he's 31 and I dunno if TB wants players around that age, although he would bring some experience to the team maybe and some back up for McKay who is apparently a good mate of his. I see Renegade's point in John Baird, he was on good form at the end of the season for Dundee and played well against us in April. I think Butcher will opt for someone playing in League Two and the conference in England tho as he never really seems to get players from the Scottish leagues unless they are free, like A Shinnie who has been a revelation this year.

Although I really don't see it happening I would absolutely love if we signed Akinfenwa mainly for his cult hero status but he'd probably be a genuinely good option. Big, STRONG, experienced proven goalscorer who has played upfront with Billy before. Actually the more I think about it, Terry, get him signed up.